• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Occultic;Nine Episode 1

Well then, I pretty much hate the main characters, at least I think they are supposed to be the main duo with a fiery passion already, so I think I am just going to drop this here and now.

phaze

Been out of the anime loop for a long while. Has there been any good anime in recent years with actual (i.e. undeniable if not bold) LGBTQ+ representation? The general impression I get is that there is a lot of baiting and subtext. I ask this as a queer person.

I'm aware that the quoted post isn't totally serious. :) My question is aimed at anyone that can answer, to be clear.

There are better informed people round here who'll give you more expansive answer but of things I'm aware; Duckroll just recently posted impressions of a movie that should tickle your fancy.

Is it bad that I want all sports anime to involve shounen superpowers and have a huge part of the world revolve around the sport a la GBF S1 or Danball Senki?

Yes.

Wanderer5

Occultic;Nine #1

Holy shit the pacing. That was pretty damn bad lol. It went so fast that it became so damn noisy with little breathing room. Also main character is really annoying too.

Is it bad that I want all sports anime to involve shounen superpowers and have a huge part of the world revolve around the sport a la GBF S1 or Danball Senki?

I prefer a healthy balance, room for many kinds of sports animes. I too love some over the top stuff. Speaking of sports animes...

Yuri!! on ice ep.1
20cd52c08117fcb042954385fe12f016.jpg
21f53bf5e599f84b130f080f519b2d3a.jpg
This was pretty pleasant surprise and interesting. MC wasn't the usual first year in high school kind of stuff so I have decent hopes for this show, also nice to have figure skating anime too. Maybe the dream of ice hockey anime can really happen one day. Oh yeah and this must be the first time I've seen my countrys (Finland) flag in an anime.

phaze

3-gatsu no Lion 01

Liked this a lot. Came with subdued expectations since SoL tag isn't something I fare well with but this is a far cry from things like NNB. Rei's issues give it a strong edge emotional core that balanced well with the hectic comedy I found enjoyable. On the production side of things and outside of the backgrounds, I loved the OST. Rei's commute to the sound of that french song was marvelous.

March comes in like a lion 1:

And the attempt to basically structure this like the manga complete with showing where the original chapters started/ended (I assume) is really weird. That monologue was really an "end of the episode" moment, not "eight minutes left in the episode but we're having to structure everything really rigidly to keep with this original format" moment.

This is kinda par for the course in Shaft adaptations no ? I prefer this approach than stretching something past its natural time run.

Jex

[Occult;Nine] - 1

I can confirm that this is the single worst piece of anime that I have seen in over a year.

It is reprehensible garbage.

Copper

[Occult;Nine] - 1

I can confirm that this is the single worst piece of anime that I have seen in over a year.

It is reprehensible garbage.

I'm really surprised at the negative reaction it's getting. The pacing was a little fast but other than that (and the cow tits?) I don't really understand what was so bad about it.

I dont get all this Occult Nine hate, I enjoyed the first episode so much. Sure it went fast but I never thought it dragged the show down.

The colorful cast of characters seems really nice so far and they mix really well with the darker themes of the show.

The comedy felt right

Every moments felt well timed.

I had no complaints.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Likewise I am not sure how people enjoyed Occult Nine with its frantic pacing, compressed and disjointed storytelling and annoying characters.

Wanderer5

Likewise I am not sure how people enjoyed Occult Nine with its frantic pacing, compressed and disjointed storytelling and annoying characters.

Well least it could be uphill from here if they don't try to rush through the other two LNs lol? But yeah with how the pacing went, things weren't really sticking, or just be really annoying.<.<

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Well least it could be uphill from here if they don't try to rush through the other two LNs lol? But yeah with how the pacing went, things weren't really sticking, or just be really annoying.<.<

I am not sure what genius said, let us adapt an entire volume to just one episode, but I hope they were not in charge of future episodes.

Eumi

Well, nothing interests me this season, which means it's time to actually watch other good shows from last season I missed, and...

Thunderbolt Fantasy Ep 01

My God. What idiots are still limiting themselves with 2d animation? Puppets are the way forward. All other mediums are garbage.

Exalted

Haikyuu Episode 1

This was actually nice. The MC so far is very likeable, had actually some doubts about him mostly due to his hair colour lol, but he is very positive and friendly, with lots of passion. The animation and sound effects were also surprisingly good. Will continue watching through the first season to see how the story goes.
With this and Natsume which i still have a season and half to finish, i should now have something to watch this season on quieter days.

Something unrelated , i actually briefly remember watching a few episodes of a another volleyball anime show which name i can't remember in the long long past on the tv, which was quite different. It was a female team, and one of the MC had a super attack that made the ball invisible to the opponent :p. Needless to say that one wasn't really as good as this, or good at all...

Izetta 02

This is really failing to grab me in any significant way. I'm so bored of magical realism WW2 as a setting and this isn't doing anything to make itself standout.

ClassicaLoid 01

Not sure about this one either...but it could have potential. I'll give it one more episode because Saturdays are fucked.

Occult;Nine 01

rofl. extremely bad. do not watch.

Tiger Mask W 02

ZangiefDoubleSuplex.gif

I only watched ep 1 on Izetta, and it is indeed girls doing magic, but they're not squealing in high pitched voices while doing so, and the setting is interesting. That's where it stood out from the other dozen or so magic girls or normal girls shows this season.

It stands out by being not World War II with the evil Germanic empire invading a small country? That's standing out??

Szadek

*20 seconds into Occultic;Nine*
WTF is happening?

This is the biggest drop-it-right-now flag I have seen since fucking chaos dragon.

You know we always say that you should give a show a couple of episodes before dropping it because it isn't fair to judge it based on an initial showing.

But has a show with a really bad first episode ever done a 180 and ended up being enjoyable? If the first episode in the US is considered the pilot you gotta go in with the mentality this introduction is meant to sell you on the show. If it can't do that with one episode then I doubt they'd turn it around 3 episodes later.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
You know we always say that you should give a show a couple of episodes before dropping it because it isn't fair to judge it based on an initial showing.

But has a show with a really bad first episode ever done a 180 and ended up being enjoyable? If the first episode in the US is considered the pilot you gotta go in with the mentality this introduction is meant to sell you on the show. If it can't do that with one episode then I doubt they'd turn it around 3 episodes later.

There's plenty of bad pilots, but anime usually doesn't have that problem. The closest thing to that would be an OVA turned into a TV show, but those are almost always sequels and not direct continuations.

Qurupeke

Gintama says hi.

Narag

When did that start happening?

I pity your world that has no Haikyuu.

The best sports anime have no super powers in them, so yes terrible.

Yikes. Okay, maybe the word "all" was a bit extreme. I should have said "more". Preferably a lot more.

Come on, what's wrong with a little imagination, creativity, and colour to spice up the average sports drama? If you ask me there's not enough of those.

Like, I want more stories like this:

Inazuma Eleven Season 3 Plot said:
The new tournament, Football Frontier International was announced, and Inazuma Japan was formed. They faced off against players from all over the world, and even 'people' from heaven and hell...

Heaven and Hell playing soccer! More ridiculous silly shenanigans like this please.

The average sports drama show just doesn't appeal to me otherwise. I like hot-blooded action but I like it a lot more when there's something whimsical and cool-looking added to that hot-blooded action.

But has a show with a really bad first episode ever done a 180 and ended up being enjoyable?

Gintama has a really bad first two episodes, then bad to mediocre 23 episodes before it gets good!

Aside from that, HxH 2011. Some people would say Lucky Star but no, Lucky Star was always bad! Just the first episode is worse.

Wouldn't this be extremely painful?

For you.

Still nothing compared to Lady J in Valkyrie Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom