• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avaneo Next Lite will come installed with Windows, not SteamOS (HoloISO)

Topher

Gold Member
We were so close to seeing another gaming handheld ship with Linux out of the box that isn't the Steam Deck, but it seems AYANEO with the AYANEO NEXT LITE weren't convinced enough and so they've changed their minds.

Originally announced as shipping with SteamOS, but then clarified later it would be HoloISO, which is a Linux distribution that's pretty close to SteamOS. AYANEO aren't entirely dropping it though, as they will still be offering HoloISO Linux (it's like SteamOS), but the device will now instead ship with Windows 11.

Writing on X (Twitter) they put out a statement and here's the relevent bit copied out of the image:

Following the announcement of the operating system for AYANEO NEXT LITE, players and friends have shown great interest and engaged in lively discussions. Some players provided feedback indicating the continued preference for a Windows operating system. "Real Gamers, Know Gamers," and in response to this valuable feedback, we are pleased to announce that AYANEO NEXT LITE will come pre-installed with the genuine Windows 11 64-bit Home Edition operating system. Of course, players can still choose to install HoloISO on their own. AYANEO's official website provides HoloISO system images that are officially adapted and compatible for players to download and experience. The streamlined and efficient HololSO system aims to offer players a more convenient game management, smooth and stable gaming performance, lower overall power consumption, and native compatibility with both controllers and touchscreen operations. This approach aligns with the gaming habits of handheld device users, providing players with a richer selection of operating systems.
Real Gamers, Know Gamers huh? That's…a peculiar thing to say here.

Kill Me Smh GIF

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Thing is HoloISO would be much harder to support vs Windows since it relies on community contributors for drivers and updates.

At least having HoloISO image with best effort support isn’t a bad thing.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Windows 11 works fine for handhelds.

Fight me, GAF.

lol.....Windows by itself does not, imo. Depends on the solution the manufacturer comes up with. My opinion: Rog Ally's is really good, Lenovo's is really bad. I'm actually buying a used LCD Steam Deck off ebay to install Windows on and use as a desktop PC as well as Game Pass games. Going to try out some of the utiliteis such as Handheld Companion and Steam Deck Tools and see how they are for handhelds.

Thing is HoloISO would be much harder to support vs Windows since it relies on community contributors for drivers and updates.

At least having HoloISO image with best effort support isn’t a bad thing.

I agree, but they need to figure all this out before they go public. Looks a bit like a publicity stunt otherwise.

Windows 11 is the best for these devices.

Good to see they realised that.

Best? lol.....no

Last edited:
Honestly it would be better if they shipped two separate SKUs, and obviously the one with SteamOS should be cheaper to reflect that.

Given the success of the Steam Deck I am shocked Valve has been dragging their feet on a general SteamOS distro. It's the most obvious thing in the world.

Topher

Gold Member
Honestly it would be better if they shipped two separate SKUs, and obviously the one with SteamOS should be cheaper to reflect that.

Given the success of the Steam Deck I am shocked Valve has been dragging their feet on a general SteamOS distro. It's the most obvious thing in the world.

Valve said getting SteamOS on to other handhelds is their next priority. I agree though.....should have been done by now.

Windows 11 works fine for handhelds.

Fight me, GAF.

I mean, any PC-based gaming device should be running Windows full stop if you ask me, based on compatibility alone. Anyone who thinks Windows is fine on your desktop but the same experience is bad on a handheld is full of shit. I'm a biased-ass ROG Ally user and I like having the same experience on desktop and portable. It works.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

lol.....Windows by itself does not, imo. Depends on the solution the manufacturer comes up with. My opinion: Rog Ally's is really good, Lenovo's is really bad. I'm actually buying a used LCD Steam Deck of ebay to install Windows on and use as a desktop PC as well as Game Pass games. Going to try out some of the utiliteis such as Handheld Companion and Steam Deck Tools and see how they are for handhelds.

I agree, but they need to figure all this out before they go public. Looks a bit like a publicity stunt otherwise.

Best? lol.....no
Oh yeah, might have been publicity campaign from the start or they just winged it and then realized that this isn’t as easy as they think.

Also, man, default Windows 11 just sucks for a handheld. ASUS made it palatable plus can run Steam BPM. Win11 without that it’s very “mid”.

Last edited:
Valve said getting SteamOS on to other handhelds is their next priority. I agree though.....should have been done by now.
Not just handhelds, a general distro could realize the dream of the Steam Box from a decade ago. Let everyone have it for free, and let manufacturers advertise for you.

The Steam Box plan was way too ahead of its time. Now...
It Could Work Gene Wilder GIF

Ozriel

M$FT
I'm actually buying a used LCD Steam Deck of ebay to install Windows on and use as a desktop PC as well as Game Pass games.

If you’re going to run Windows exclusively, why wouldn’t you just go with a used Ally? More powerful, plus better support.

Ozriel

M$FT
Aya made the sensible choice.
People will make all sorts of promises online to purchase, but 99% of people who are interested in a SteamOS handheld will eventually just default to Steamdeck.

Crayon

I'd imagine the holo image they provide online will come with some language that you're on your own with no support.

Topher

Gold Member
If you’re going to run Windows exclusively, why wouldn’t you just go with a used Ally? More powerful, plus better support.

I almost did. I had several auctions I was watching which included both Rog Ally and Steam Deck. But the auction I won was a guy, with really good ratings, who put his 512GB Steam Deck out with "Buy It now" for $300 free shipping. Nothing else came close to that so I jumped on it before anyone else did. The best I was going to do with Rog Ally was $500, unless I went with the non-Extreme Ally, which is less powerful than Steam Deck. I was able to use the money I saved to buy a 2 TB Corsair SSD for $150.

The games I play on handheld don't require a lot of power so that wasn't a concern. And I'm not worried about support. I bought this to tinker with.

Aya made the sensible choice.
People will make all sorts of promises online to purchase, but 99% of people who are interested in a SteamOS handheld will eventually just default to Steamdeck.

They probably realized the headache of having to support a non-official version of SteamOS. Either that, or they just used this as a gimmick for attention. But yeah, I'd rather have fully supported Windows than a hacked Steam OS.

Last edited:
I almost did. I had several auctions I was watching which included both Rog Ally and Steam Deck. But the auction I won was a guy, with really good ratings, who put his 512GB Steam Deck out with "Buy It now" for $300 free shipping. Nothing else came close to that so I jumped on it before anyone else did. The best I was going to do with Rog Ally was $500, unless I went with the non-Extreme Ally, which is less powerful than Steam Deck. I was able to use the money I saved to buy a 2 TB Corsair SSD for $150.

The games I play on handheld don't require a lot of power so that wasn't a concern. And I'm not worried about support. I bought this to tinker with.

They probably realized the headache of having to support a non-official version of SteamOS. Either that, or they just used this as a gimmick for attention. But yeah, I'd rather have fully supported Windows than a hacked Steam OS.
Good choice on the steam deck the non extreme ally is trash compared to the Extreme huge difference.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Good choice on the steam deck the non extreme ally is trash compared to the Extreme huge difference.

Yeah, that's what I gathered. Best Buy had an open box for around $350 or so which doesn't really seem like a bad deal, but less power and worse battery life made Steam Deck the obvious choice.

Windows just needs a proper handheld mode and it will be fine.

I just wonder how big the market has to get for Microsoft to deem it worthy.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's what I gathered. Best Buy had an open box for around $350 or so which doesn't really seem like a bad deal, but less power and worse battery life made Steam Deck the obvious choice.
Yea deff was a no brainer. I have both but I would wait for the Rog 2 I think asus has already announced they’re aiming for a release this year. If that’s something you still want to get later.

Ozriel

M$FT
I almost did. I had several auctions I was watching which included both Rog Ally and Steam Deck. But the auction I won was a guy, with really good ratings, who put his 512GB Steam Deck out with "Buy It now" for $300 free shipping.

That’s a damn good deal!

I just wonder how big the market has to get for Microsoft to deem it worthy.
I think there recent development with Windows - and allegedly the changes in the architecture - should help with that.

Personally I want a proper Windows handheld UI + imagine having android app support too (with a proper store). Personally I think some Windows on ARM device with Android app support and ability to connect via usb-c to use as PC (like with iPhone I guess?) would be quite neat. Like Steam Deck on Windows basically.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I think there recent development with Windows - and allegedly the changes in the architecture - should help with that.

Personally I want a proper Windows handheld UI + imagine having android app support too (with a proper store).

Yeah, that would be awesome. I'll have to look into the architecture changes as I'm not up to date on any of that. But if a bunch of random developers can create stuff like Handheld Companion to offer better integration for Windows then I certainly do not see why Microsoft can't do a much better job with their own OS.

Part of me also thinks that there is an opportunity for Xbox here as Sony as seemingly abandoned handhelds (non-streaming anyway). I can imagine an Rog Ally sporting a fully licensed Xbox OS (that tiled UI would work rather well I think) playing Xbox games. Microsoft would essentially be passing off the hardware manufacturing to third parties and remove the need for subsidized hardware (on handhelds, at least). Issue would be full game compatibility, but Microsoft could implement a certification program like Valve does with Steam Deck. Probably too risky a move for Microsoft currently though. Just dreaming.

StereoVsn

Personally I want a proper Windows handheld UI + imagine having android app support too (with a proper store). Personally I think some Windows on ARM device with Android app support and ability to connect via usb-c to use as PC (like with iPhone I guess?) would be quite neat. Like Steam Deck on Windows basically.
You can run some Android apps on Windows right now. There is partnership with Amazon I think (will go away I guess as Amazon switches to their own OS) and you can get Android emulation software.

For Ally 2, it’s going to be interesting what they do. There isn’t really a better SoC that’s going to come out this year. AMD revision essentially will have same CPU/GPU but will add dedicated AI hardware. And Intel seems somewhat of a side grade. A bit better but only at higher TDP.

However if ASUS comes out with a 32GB model with a bit better ergonomics, OLED screen and larger battery, that would be an interesting upgrade.

StereoVsn

Yeah, that would be awesome. I'll have to look into the architecture changes as I'm not up to date on any of that. But if a bunch of random developers can create stuff like Handheld Companion to offer better integration for Windows then I certainly do not see why Microsoft can't do a much better job with their own OS.

Part of me also thinks that there is an opportunity for Xbox here as Sony as seemingly abandoned handhelds (non-streaming anyway). I can imagine an Rog Ally sporting a fully licensed Xbox OS (that tiled UI would work rather well I think) playing Xbox games. Microsoft would essentially be passing off the hardware manufacturing to third parties and remove the need for subsidized hardware (on handhelds, at least). Issue would be full game compatibility, but Microsoft could implement a certification program like Valve does with Steam Deck. Probably too risky a move for Microsoft currently though. Just dreaming.
That would require good MS management, vision for the future and being able to port Xbox OS down to smaller devices. I just don’t see it. They seem more interested in pushing their own mobile store.

I can see MS providing essentially XSS and XSX minimum specs and having manufacturers go at it, but I would be very surprised if they approved a full on Xbox handheld like that. It would be pretty cool if they did though.

Topher

Gold Member
That would require good MS management, vision for the future and being able to port Xbox OS down to smaller devices. I just don’t see it. They seem more interested in pushing their own mobile store.

I can see MS providing essentially XSS and XSX minimum specs and having manufacturers go at it, but I would be very surprised if they approved a full on Xbox handheld like that. It would be pretty cool if they did though.

Yeah.....like I said, just dreaming. You are right, of course. Microsoft gaming would need some fundamental changes to be able to pull this off. And PC handheld gaming is probably far too niche at the moment to justify the risk.

Personally a handheld Xbox on ARM with a docking station (eGPU for example) and some mobile device functionality would be quite cool. Or for example a Windows device like that, but with proper Xbox OS emulation. I don't see them going Xbox OS licensing route because - unlike Windows - it will create a problem for devs to optimize for all of that. Granted we now gradually are getting more settings in console games, maybe optimizations for each specific device won't be an issue.

Then again, It remains to be seen how Windows handhelds are doing. Granted Steam Deck with Proton demonstrated that the emulation is possible, so maybe for Xbox they could come up with something like that.

You can run some Android apps on Windows right now. There is partnership with Amazon I think (will go away I guess as Amazon switches to their own OS) and you can get Android emulation software.
I am aware, but I was more talking in regards of having a proper handheld Windows with the ability run Windows and Android app from the store (basically like Google Play but with Windows and Android apps in a single store).

Last edited:
Top Bottom