• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avengers: Age of Ultron | Production Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ithil

Scarlet Witch & Hawkeye

BjgXmalCQAAt4Ok.jpg

Somewhere between concept art and costuming they cut the Witch's top lower.

BLACKLAC

I often find myself humming the song that plays during that shot. Would it make you mad to learn that shot almost didn't make it into the film? They almost fucked up but didn't. They almost failed to give that to us.

What's the story behind that?

kirblar

Hair on Quicksilver's definitely greying, there's brown underneath. Gotta be a plot point. (Helps establish that he's not 40, lol.)

.GqueB.

Banned
What's the story behind that?

It was in the director commentary. From what I remember, that was one of the last shots they worked on and they almost just scrapped it:

The massive, uninterrupted shot at the heart of the final battle scene nearly didn't make the final cut of the film due to budget and time concerns. Ultimately, it became clear that the scene had to stay, no matter the cost. "I think that's why we're here," Whedon had realized about the shot. "This is where the Avengers become the Avengers."

I honestly can't even picture the movie without that shot. Can't wrap my head around it.

Calamari41

41 > 38
It was in the director commentary. From what I remember, that was one of the last shots they worked on and they almost just scrapped it:

The massive, uninterrupted shot at the heart of the final battle scene nearly didn't make the final cut of the film due to budget and time concerns. Ultimately, it became clear that the scene had to stay, no matter the cost. "I think that's why we're here," Whedon had realized about the shot. "This is where the Avengers become the Avengers."

I honestly can't even picture the movie without that shot. Can't wrap my head around it.

I honestly think that shot is what moved the movie from Iron Man levels of box office cash to Cameron levels. Like, it's what got people pumped to go see it several more times instead of maybe one more time. Even if it was just subconsciously.

I think they're talking about the huge panning shot of the whole team fighting. The one with repulsor beam shield and Hulk & Thor fighting on top of the Leviathan.

Toa TAK

Banned

I can't either, that's one of the best shots in the film next to the team up shot.

.GqueB.

Banned
I honestly think that shot is what moved the movie from Iron Man levels of box office cash to Cameron levels. Like, it's what got people pumped to go see it several more times instead of maybe one more time. Even if it was just subconsciously.

I'm looking forward to seeing more shots like that. That's what was so amazing about that end sequence. Everything just flows together so well and it's often times very simple. I remember the shot after Ironman gets rid of the strays sniffing his tail and he zooms past the camera and it transitions right into the scene with the Hulk. Stuff like that is so amazing to me and not done very often.

.GqueB.

Banned
Watching that scene again is kinda funny. I hope to God Hawkeye is way more useful in the sequel. Hope he has more cool shit to do cos it just felt like what the hell is this guy doing here.

I just want them to put a damn mask on the guy. All I see is Jeremy Renner shooting arrows.

.GqueB.

Banned
I can't either, that's one of the best shots in the film next to the team up shot.

I remember afterwards one of my friends said: "Why'd he bounce his shot off of caps shield? It didn't do anything?". I just yelled "WHO CARES!@!?!?@!?". I've never had such a potent nerd rage moment.

.la1n

I just want them to put a damn mask on the guy. All I see is Jeremy Renner shooting arrows.

Marvel seems to have a thing for wanting their costumed heroes to either not have a mask at all or to barely use it in live action film.

Watching that scene again is kinda funny. I hope to God Hawkeye is way more useful in the sequel. Hope he has more cool shit to do cos it just felt like what the hell is this guy doing here.

From what I've heard (rumors on the interenet, so take with a grain of salt... maybe a shaker), the story semi-revolves around Banner and Hawkeye.

Which gives me a thought... if this is true... maybe this means Banner is the one who builds Ultron. There is actually a story from really early Hulk comics where he builds a giant death robot that goes on a rampage. And his solution to that is to build a bigger giant death robot, which General Ross very wisely forbids him from doing, leading to a Hulk vs. giant death robot fight. I dunno. He has been just sitting around in Stark Tower for Phase 2, doing god knows what. Might as well be creating a machine that could wipe out humanity.

shield

Marvel seems to have a thing for wanting their costumed heroes to either not have a mask at all or to barely use it in live action film.

Not fussed about the lack of Hawkeye's mask but I would like to see Thor wear his helmet more often.

Tobor

I assumed that SW and QS would be bad guys early on, but I'm actually hoping they just start the movie with them as a new squad led by Hawkeye. A west coast squad, perhaps? :)

Don't even give us origins, just jump right in.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Remember that 'The Dark Knight Rises' vs 'The Avengers' thread? That was hilarious.

I got in a huge argument in that thread with someone who was saying that all of the action was going to take place in what would clearly be small sets, like a TV show. My argument was that clearly a trailer, and an early trailer at that, wouldn't be completely indicative of how the action in the final movie would play out. Especially for an effects-heavy movie like this.

The reason that this person had for me being full of shit? The Transformers 3 trailer showed better action that the Avengers trailer did.

Ok bro.

That... that can't be real... right?

Very real, sadly. From the same contingent that absolutely loathes the shit out of every Marvel Studios production, and yet always has their impressions posted right after the midnight opening of each movie.

Raguel

I got in a huge argument in that thread with someone who was saying that all of the action was going to take place in what would clearly be small sets, like a TV show. My argument was that clearly a trailer, and an early trailer at that, wouldn't be completely indicative of how the action in the final movie would play out. Especially for an effects-heavy movie like this.

The reason that this person had for me being full of shit? The Transformers 3 trailer showed better action that the Avengers trailer did.

Ok bro.

Very real, sadly. From the same contingent that absolutely loathes the shit out of every Marvel Studios production, and yet always has their impressions posted right after the midnight opening of each movie.

That thread was hilarious. And those guys still troll the marvel threads.

The same complaints every time:

-Looks like a made for TV film
-Bland cinematography
-No soul
-Film just another one from the production line of a warehouse

I could go on...

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Some people kind of hated the fuck out of Whedon and claimed it was going to be a souped up TV movie, given that he's mostly a TV guy and never really directed a big film by himself.

I gotta say, at some points (most of them early on the film) Avengers showed some dodgy camera work and there were a couple of regretable lines, but the pros outweighted the cons on a cosmic scale.

RedShift

I think SHIELD is behind Ultron. It makes most sense to me.

I'm guessing SHIELD make him based on tech sort of stolen from the Avengers/other people. So they steal flying shooty robot tech (or just the Arc Reactor) from Stark, maybe make his armour from that stuff Cap's shield is made of, whack in some Asgardian stuff/stuff from the Dark Elves attack on London. Maybe later they retcon in that they nicked the AI from Ant Man or something.

Oh yeah, then you get these film enthusiasts (I just call them film snobs) who go in ready to dislike anything and everything about the film.

We MCU fans are like the film outcasts. We gotta stick together.

Calamari41

41 > 38
But that's where the genius (but now transparent) bit comes in: they make sure you know that they loved Iron Man 1, so that they can now present themselves as some kind of purist.

How will they balance Scarlet Witch? Isn't she a bit OP? Joss plz nerf!
I suppose they will go with not having full knowledge or control over her powers or they react as per her emotional state.

Sadist

Ultron made of vibranium?

Maybe my memory is dodgy, but didn't the Avengers cartoon (Earth's Mightiest Heroes) have a Ultron storyline where he wants a body made out of vibranium and he sends Vision to retrieve it?

I think it's almost certain that Ultron is made of the stuff. Although Stark mentions in the first Cap flick that Cap's shield is the only vibranium they have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom