• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AVP Discussion/Rotten Watch thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AniHawk

evil ways said:
Lex the woman, reasoning with the Predator, calling him his friend, then in a pretty fucking cheesy scene, when they reach the chamber where all the alien eggs are, the Predator activates his wrist self destruct device and detaches it from his arm, then Lex asks "Is that a bomb?" to which the Predator nods and makes sort of an explosion gesture with his hands and fingers.

Stay tuned for AVP, the cartoon series only on FoxBox!

lewdpred3.jpg

"If we work together, we can win! Go team!"

so....the only reason to see this movie (the fights) are being put up on the net? roflmao!! brilliant

edit - Rex's link has already been posted.

evil ways

I think even the most kickass moment of the entire film was already shown on the net or in the Making of specials running on tv this week.

One of the Predators is standing above the main female lead, in full stealth camo, and suddenly you see an alien's tail stab through him from behind and lift him up in the air, still on stealth camo, and all you can see is the transparent Predator and green blood dripping from his mid section. The stealth fades off and both the alien and the Predator are face to face. The alien then chews through his head with his 2nd mouth.

That was about the only scene in the film where I went "Daaamn".

Also, I just noticed today that it wasn't Stan Winston who worked on the creatures in this movie, which explains why the Predator suits and masks look terrible and rubbery.

B'z-chan

Banned
MaddenNFL64 said:
Eh, I know it'll suck, but I can't pass up a chance to see Predators & Aliens fight eachother :).

Then go get yourself Alien vs Predator 2 on pc.

Infact instead of watching this movie i'm gonna go play this game.

evil ways said:
Also, I just noticed today that it wasn't Stan Winston who worked on the creatures in this movie, which explains why the Predator suits and masks look terrible and rubbery.

I think a guy named screamin mad george or something actually designed or built the original Predator suit

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
evil ways said:
Let me put it this way it's not in the same category of crappy as Pootie Tang, Garfield, MK Annihilation, Riddick, or even Torque, it's just below average for an Alien & Predator movie. It's just slightly better than Alien Ressurection, but shares the same bad acting, poor dialogue and characters you really don't care about vibe that Ressurection has.

It's better than The Village that's for sure, cause at least you get some real monsters and not some deep, inspirational, boring movie.

The reason I'm so hurt is cause I've worshiped the Predator ever since I was 7 years old and first laid eyes on it. He's one of my favorite movie characters of all time, not to mention the movies themselves were pretty awesome, so to see the Predator get watered down and pussified, it pisses me off. Like I said in my impressions the movie started out better than I expected, and if it had an R rating it would've worked fine, until the team up occurs. From then on the Predator turns into sort of the big, retarded sidekick of the female lead and everything goes to shit.

I mean, what the fuck, you have.........

Lex the woman, reasoning with the Predator, calling him his friend, then in a pretty fucking cheesy scene, when they reach the chamber where all the alien eggs are, the Predator activates his wrist self destruct device and detaches it from his arm, then Lex asks "Is that a bomb?" to which the Predator nods and makes sort of an explosion gesture with his hands and fingers.

It's a tragedy.

Well, I can justify what happened by thinking "those were inexperienced predators" and it was intended for them to be tested and maybe not making it through that maze. Only if they did they could be real "hunters".

evil ways said:
Let me put it this way it's not in the same category of crappy as Pootie Tang, Garfield, MK Annihilation, Riddick, or even Torque

It's a tragedy.

Pootie Tang is painfully unfunny, MK Annihilation is the worst movie I could ever claim to have seen and I have seen lots of straight to video cyborg tittie barbarian movies. The Guyver live action comes close to MK:A in badness. Hell, Robo C.H.I.C or Flesh Gordon 2 is a better watch than MK:A.

That said, Riddick and Torque have no business being listed along with those other movies. Torque is at least nice to look at and shot and edited with the same whimsy and over the top style as a Sam Raimi meets Michael Bay movie.

I need to see AVP. It can't be as poor as Soldier. Nothing beats the Loreena Mckennit music montage in the middle of that movie. Montages are meant to encapsulate moments of a lot of time being passed not retread what we have already seen!

AssMan

Banned
What's the deal with the Predators looking thick as hell, and they're only teenagers! The Predators in the last two movies weren't so thick.

Teddman

As others have said, the Predators in this flick are green and undergoing a rite of passage. Plus they're fighting friggin' Aliens hand-to-hand and don't have their main armaments.
It's understandable that a few get dropped fast.

They still get the best of the Aliens overall. :)

I didn't mind the humans teaming up with the Predators either.
The audience I was with seemed to find it amusing. It's not inconsistent with the Predators' nature as shown in other films--they hunt only for sport and don't attack unarmed or weak foes, which is what the main character was at that time.

Memles

Why are you watching Rotten Tomatoes for this when Yu-Gi-Oh has more reviews AND is still at 0% Fresh?

I personally love Metacritic's "Bad Movie Alert: Alien Vs. Predator not screened for critics".

Shouta

I think I became lactose intolerate after seeing the movie -_-. The special effects were fairly ncie but the acting, action, and pacing were just terrible. Plot wasn't too bad but soooo cheesy.

MIMIC

Banned
You'd think with a rating of 10%, the majority of the people here would pile the shit on hard with "Alien vs. Predator."

But this is GAF. Those kind of comments were saved for "I, Robot" (63%) and "The Village" (44%).

"Aw, HELLLL NAW!" = terrible movie; terrible movie = give the movie a try.

Just got back from the movie. Okay, I liked Mortal Kombat and Resident Evil for what they were: stupid fun. Alien vs. Predator is not this. This movie made Freddy vs. Jason (another stupid-fun movie I enjoyed) look like poetry in motion.

I'm not exaggerating when I say that when
She-Ra and Predator team up
at least five people yelled out "No Fucking WAY!!" and the ENTIRE theater roared with laughter. Seriously, the premise was interesting -- even if the set-up was ripped right from Jurassic Park -- and the first half of the movie was pretty entertaining. But when....that...happens, the movie goes into so-bad-it's-embarrassing territory. I'm still laughing.

=W=

Eh, pretty typical Paul Anderson as far as I'm concerned. Not unwatchable, but not anything I'll ever want to watch again. I thought the scene
when the queen is above the main character and the predator jumps in from behind and stabs the queen through the head
was pretty darn cool.

I hope AvP2 is a buddy comedy. (Alien and Predator Go To White Castle?)

hiryu

This was actually way better than I expected. The first half was boring and I about fell asleep but the second half was pretty decent. I don't get the complaining about the human and predator team up. That's taken straight from the comic book. In fact, many ideas from the movie were ripped straight from the comic including
the chick using the alien tail as a weapon and them using the alien blood to scar themselves.
The setting is only the major real difference between the comic and movie.

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
Wow, I just saw this movie. It really ruined my night.

I can understand some people liking it, but when I saw this movie, I was amazed -- at how bad it was.

Obviously there are spoilers here, so don't read on after this point if you plan on seeing it....

1) The story: I can deal with the story, I even liked the story. Predators helping the first humans build pyramids and in return the humans help them create a "Primal Hunt" against the Aliens. Pretty cool, I thought.

2) The fights: They sucked, mostly. Listen, I've been waiting for this movie since Predator 2. Since then, I have thought (and seen in the comics) MANY ways that the Predators and Aliens can duke it out, but instead they chose to use cheesy elements in the fight scenes. While I liked how the Predator and Alien used their tools (The Aliens' tail was one wicked weapon), the fights came off as sstupide and redundant. I use the word "fights" loosely, however, because I don't consider any conflicts between the aliens and predators after the first fight scene as real "fights", because the rest of them were too short and lame.

Even though I thought the first fight scene which was actually pretty cool (Even though it didn't make sense; an Alien's acid blood can burn a Predator's blade and shield, but not his throwing disc?), I thought that there just wasn't enough gore. Sure, there was action, but it was the same thing over and over, and it left way too much to the imagination. That's all I have to say about that.

3) Human deaths: Fucking lame. I came to this movie to see these human fuckers offered up as hosts or to see them mauled. I saw none of this. Instead, I had to rely on my imagination in order to figure out how these people died. Whatever, I could have just thrown my $8.75 out my car window while driving to the movies and thought to myself "Hmmm, I wonder what it would look like to see a Predator slit a guy's throat with his wrist-blade?" and I'd have been satisfied.

4) Predators: They died off too quick. And they both died the same way. Talk about lame. Both the Aliens "licked" their brains out. Wow, great. And for the record, they didn't show the first predator actually die. You just saw the blood fall in front of that chick.

5) Bonding: The Predator and chick became buddy buddy towards the end? Woah, sorry. It took more than that for Danny Glover to earn the predators' respect.

6) Queen: I thought it was cool how they were chained up the queen and used her to make prey, but they could have used the Queen Alien so, so, SO much better. Why did she had to die? (Well, maybe she died. I was given the impression that she drowned, but I'm sure if this movie does well at the box office, movie executives will jump up and scream "HEY GOOD NEWS! ALIENS HAD GILLS AFTER ALL!")

7) No clear victor: In response to complaint #6, I hated how the movie didn't end the never ending question of: "Who would win? An alien or a predator?" They both got their dues, and that's stupid. You can't make all 3 predators and all the aliens die, because the movie is about seeing who wins in this scenario. I guess technically, the Aliens did win this one, which makes my complaint pointless, but that still doesn't mean I can't complain that they didn't do it right.

8) Warrior Chick: When the chick was given the the Alien head as a shield and tail as a weapon was cool, but it wasn't implemented well. Some Jacked up guy bent on revenge for all his killed buddies should have been given that shit, not some chick WHO DOESN'T EVEN USE THEM.

9) Predalien: A Predalien busts out in all his glory at the end? Wow, interesting how the predators didn't scan their fallen comrade for a chest buster, and as a result allowed an alien on their ship. Hell, an amateur predator scanned the human to make sure there was an Alien in him while in the pyramid, why wouldn't an age old elder do it?

10) Shit: Because of complaint #8, that means that IF THERE IS an Alien vs. Predator 2, it will be just as shitty. Why? Because we're going to have a mutant Alien just like we did in Alien: Resurrection. It didn't work out the first time, why try it again?

Anyway, I really wanted to like this movie. I waited 14 years for it, but my dreams were crushed in a record time of 1 hour and 28 minutes. O well, maybe we'll get 2 other franchises in the near future that are just as cool? No, if anything they're probably just going to make shitty sequels to Alien, Predator, or Terminator. Maybe they'll get wise and combine all 3 just like the comics and fuck it all up again? Who knows. Either way, they're not getting my money in the future.

xsarien

daedsiluap
-The story fucks up everything from Cameron's Aliens to Alien 3, which means according to Paul Anderson, those 2 movies never occured or will never occur.

Can you elaborate for someone who hasn't seen Aliens or Alien 3 in quite some time?

Also, yes, this movie was one, big steaming pile. I don't think anyone intended for the audience to laugh so much. I left thinking that it lacked the overall quality, nuance, or respect for the two franchises that Freddy vs. Jason managed to deliver.

(And that's said with just a HINT of sarcasm, because I do think FvsJ managed to pull off that last bit.)

AvP wasn't as bad as I was led to believe it was going to be, but that doesn't mean it was very good either. Even for rookies, the Preds (all but one of them, at least) bought it waaaaaaay too easily. And the human cast, with a handful of exceptions, were all faceless cannon fodder; even Alien Resurrection did a better job in creating likeable, identifiable characters. Hell, "Stripey" had more screen time than most of them.

And what the f*ck was with all the cutaway shots?!? PG-13 sucks!!!

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Damn I'm sitting here laughing out loud reading the Yu Gi Oh quotes on Rotten Tomatoes.

"The film is simply part of a synergized income stream, more deft revenge upon us for having won World War II."

"A pay-for-admission commercial for its own empire, it stretches the definition of a movie into something so ugly as to be unidentifiable"

"Yu-Gi ouch! Rare is the movie experience as painful as it is here"

evil ways

I don't get the complaining about the human and predator team up. That's taken straight from the comic book. In fact, many ideas from the movie were ripped straight from the comic

And that doesn't mean it makes it any less shitty. When something is bad, it's bad, regardless of how faithful to a certain source it is.

You can put a scene in the new Batman movie with him taking a crap and groaning with the Batsuit on, and say "But, but it's exactly how it happened in an issue of the comic" and it doesn't change the fact that it's bad.

Saw it last night...hmmmmmm.........I'm speachless. Did I enjoy it? sure. Was it good?..No. Is the director a hack? Absolutely.... Was the camera work good?....hahahaha.yeh right... I've seen better camera work by an epileptic w/ a cell phone.
Now that that has been said, I went to this "movie" expecting it to be bad, and knowing it was not a "tie-in" on the other 2 series.
It wasn't the biggest waste of money ever, that is reserved for "House of Dead".
Go see it, what do you got to lose but 1hr 27m. and $8:50.

MC Safety

To be honest, I thought the film was mildly amusing until it became a buddy movie.

Now I have a few questions:

1) What the hell?
2) No, seriously, what the hell?

Also, did the woman in the movie miss the part where the predators slaughtered more than half her friends?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
AVP is not a good movie. However:

It is better than Van Helsing.
It is better than Alien Resurrection.
It has some pretty cool sets.
There are a few -- just a few -- good scenes.

But the acting is abysmal, the special effects inconsistent, the story is horrible, and the movie is nothing but cliche' after cliche'. Not only that, the writers obviously felt that their audience would be SO INCREDIBLY STUPID that they felt compelled to have Italy Boy explain EVERY. LAST. THING. to us.
Oh, thanks Italy Boy! I would have had NO FUCKING CLUE that the Predator was marking himself ritualistically after killing that alien! What a wonderful service you have performed!

Oh, and how could we forget the funniest part of the movie:
Bullet-time facehugger!

My advice -- wait for cable.

evil ways

SteveMeister said:
Oh, and how could we forget the funniest part of the movie:
Bullet-time facehugger!

My advice -- wait for cable.

Yeah, and what's with the microwave Aliens man, those things took like 5-10 minutes to get incubated, hatched and grow to adult size. Didn't it take Ripley in Alien 3 like a full day or 2? I mean, I know some things are sped up for the movie length's sake but geez.

Also the camera work was so bad that I really couldn't tell what the Aliens were doing....
to free the Queen from her chains
I mean were they stabbing themselves or just spitting acid from their mouths on cue.

xsarien

daedsiluap
evil ways said:
Yeah, and what's with the microwave Aliens man, those things took like 5-10 minutes to get incubated, hatched and grow to adult size. Didn't it take Ripley in Alien 3 like a full day or 2? I mean, I know some things are sped up for the movie length's sake but geez.

Oddly enough, that aspect of it didn't bother me too much.
They had a queen in chains, which, you know, is pretty fucking hardcore when you think about it. They were also zapping her with electricity to get her to spit out those eggs in what was presumably an accelerated amount of time. The Predators probably didn't want to wait around for the 2-3 day (or however long it's supposed to take) incubation process to get their hunt on, so I'm cool with their Instant Alien brownie mix
, the rest of the movie, was a joke, though.

It could've been genuinely good, then they gave it to Anderson.

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
Spike Spiegel said:
I got that they were striking the queen in non-vital areas to release her blood onto the bonds.

I was under the impression that the drones were cutting themselves in order to burn the chains.

God save the Queen.

In the first Alien movie it took Kane around a full day for the Alien to grow inside him since getting face hugged. In Alien 3 the creature came out of an Dog/Ox in about the same time. Ripley on the other hand took about 3 days. That is probably because an Queen Alien takes more time to gestate then a drone does.

I want to see AVP. This 30 minute bullshit I'm hearing about is ridiculous.

LakeEarth

The movie was shit and yet I had the time of my life and I tell you why.

I go and sit down with a bunch of my buddies to watch the movie. Now we are at the point where
the queen starts to release eggs
when the movie abruptly goes off and the lights come on. Then a nice young lady comes out and says "we are experiencing some technical difficulties, we're fixing it now", and she gets the response of "BULLSHIT!!" "FUCK YOU!" "WE WANT OUR MONEY BACKK!!!!!" and the like.... the movie starts up again, and just as
the queen appears in the snow during the climax
, BAM, the projection screen turns off and the lights come back on.

Now the crowd is completely roaring cause the damn thing keeps turning off at the worst possible moments. Now a manager comes out and begins to apologize, when a huge roar comes from the crowd, "BULLSHIT" "MONEY BACK" again and again.. the manager raises his hands and says "quiet please, quiet please", and the crowd starts to die down. The place finally gets quiet and the manager is about to speak when someone yells out a perfectly timed "TIMMY!!!", then the manager walks off when the movie starts off.

So they start handing out free tickets because of what happened during the movie, and I was walking up and I got a ticket, when my friend jumps in front of me and says "I got 5, swing around", so I carefully put the ticket/voucher into my pocket and go up to the next guy who's also handing out vouchers. So I end up with two.

Funniest part was when I left, my one friend (who snuck in) says "yeah I got two" and I just laugh my ass off, and yell "you fucking didn't pay and you made a PROFIT?!?!" as we leave the theatre. Haven't had that much fun in a long assed time.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Warm Machine said:
In the first Alien movie it took Kane around a full day for the Alien to grow inside him since getting face hugged. In Alien 3 the creature came out of an Dog/Ox in about the same time. Ripley on the other hand took about 3 days. That is probably because an Queen Alien takes more time to gestate then a drone does.

I want to see AVP. This 30 minute bullshit I'm hearing about is ridiculous.

Well, to be fair, the "30 minute" thing is much more likely due to poor editing than some retconning of the Alien universe rules. It's not like there's a timer going or anything.

And, really, complaining about this aspect of the movie is like complaining about shitty acting in Event Horizon. There are so many more problems with it that rank above "Wait, how long did it take the alien to grow inside them this time?"

LakeEarth

xsarien said:
It's not like there's a timer going or anything.

Yeah there is. The pyrimid
changes shape every 10 minutes, and we saw it change only like 2-3 times
before an alien appeared in the movie. So it's actually pretty accurate.

xsarien

daedsiluap
LakeEarth said:
Yeah there is. The pyrimid
changes shape every 10 minutes, and we saw it change only like 2-3 times
before an alien appeared in the movie. So it's actually pretty accurate.

You saw that many changes, but it's almost inevitable that they intended more time to pass. This movie has pretty lousty editing, you can't really go by that.

AssMan

Banned
Spoilers!

I also found it funny that early civilization were taught by the predators on creating a civilization! Also, everyone pretty much laughed when teh black chick was helped by the Predator. Also, what was up with the red scanning? Remember in the Predator movies when they were blue and saw heat from humans?

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
AssMan said:
I also found it funny that early civilization were taught by the predators on creating a civilization! Also, everyone pretty much laughed when teh black chick was helped by the Predator. Also, what was up with the red scanning? Remember in the Predator movies when they were blue and saw heat from humans?

Perhaps I can field that one? In the AvP game, there are three modes of scanning. One for humans (The one seen in the predator movies), one for scanning aliens (It looks mostly red, and was used mostly throughout the AVP movie) and then there's ones for scanning the predators which looks silverish.

That explains why they always had their red Alien-scanning vision on most of the time, since there main priority was to hunt aliens.

I just say AVP...And call me crazy, but I actually liked it. I was expecting complete crap, but it was better than that. In fact, now I'm going to buy the Predator DVD.

Saw it yesterday, definitely the best film in which Aliens fight with Predators I've seen this year.
Actually it wasn't too bad, maybe because I am like Predators. Definitely not the worse movie I've seen this year (that goes to Van Helsing :p).

xsarien said:
You saw that many changes, but it's almost inevitable that they intended more time to pass. This movie has pretty lousty editing, you can't really go by that.

I just got back from the movie. It is a bad edit and the creatures do take longer to hatch. My bet is Paul expected us to just get it or there was a 5 minute long talking head scene he cut out.

There were 3 horrid effects shots in the film that stuck out. The first is the establishing shot of the satellite dish station place. I couldn't believe how poorly that was composited with the still photographs of the dishes, with large motionless film grain on them, running off in perspective. The one that is turning looks terrible as its a matted in piece of footage and then the resulting camera pan down is just terrible. I know that such a place with lots of these dishes does exist so why they did it with an effect as opposed to a real second unit piece of footage?

The 2nd was when italian guy is introduced and there is that one pyramid in the background that has been obviously composited in.

Finally that 3/4 wide shot of the Predator and the girl running out of the pyramid had me flashing back to Gandalf trucking his way through the mines of Moria.

FoneBone

OK, saw it this afternoon. It wasn't as bad as it could have been, but still pretty lousy.

What I liked:

The aliens all looked pretty cool.
CGI was kept to a minimum, fortunately.
Alien/Predator deaths (gory enough for me -- I particularly liked
the facehugger being cut in half, and one of the warriors being decapitated
)
The first Alien/Predator face-to-face scene, and at least some of the fights.
The acting was all OK.

What I hated (yeah, I know most of this has already been said):
PG-13 human deaths. Ugh.
The Predators were way too stocky-looking, and moved awkwardly.
Mr. Exposition (the Italian guy).
The human/Predator teamup aspect is, contrary to what some are insisting, not a bad idea in itself, but it's really poorly executed. She gives his gun back, helps him in a fight, and then - aww - they're best buddies!
The slow-mo "running from fireball in silhouette" shot was hilariously awful, and easily the low point of the movie.
The "cliffhanger" ending --
Yeah, I'm sure one Predalien will pose a huge threat to a ship with thousands of Predators on it.

Anyway, it wasn't a terrible movie, and unlike with Riddick, I didn't come out regretting I had seen it. Still, it could have been great, and thanks to Fox and Anderson, ended up being mediocre. I hope Anderson doesn't touch either franchise again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom