• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Backwards Compatibility X360 and PS3

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Will it be possible for X360 to out put the few Xbox1 games that run at 480i (like Metal Slug 3 - assuming it is compatible) at 480p or even 720p?

Same question for the PS3 - could it output PS2 or PS1 games that run at 480i as 480p or higher?

And assuming either system could do this - would the effect be noticeably better than just running 480i upscaled through your TV's built in scaler?

Rlan

Bump.

I've been playing some of the old Spyro games via my PS2 lately, and I've noticed that the save file corrupts almost every second 'save', due to it saving during load times, which are quicker.

Does this happen with a lot of other old PSOne games? Will this screw up trying to play Ratchet & Clank on a PS3?

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
acidviper said:
I doubt it.

hmm, why do you say that? I was under the impression that xbox 360 had an internal analog scaler that could scale images up to a full 720p / 1080i. Thus, they would "output" images at that resolution. The question of whether that would be better than your TVs own internal scaler is an entirely different matter though ...

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
acidviper said:
I doubt it.

Oh really? I've seen it done.

Whether or not that makes it through the test cycle or not remains to be seen. But in theory the answer is "easily." Esp. on Xbox where most games are 16:9 compatible even at 480.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Rlan said:
Bump.

I've been playing some of the old Spyro games via my PS2 lately, and I've noticed that the save file corrupts almost every second 'save', due to it saving during load times, which are quicker.

Does this happen with a lot of other old PSOne games? Will this screw up trying to play Ratchet & Clank on a PS3?

It shouldn't do that if you don't have the loading speed up turned on.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Stinkles said:
Oh really? I've seen it done.

Whether or not that makes it through the test cycle or not remains to be seen. But in theory the answer is "easily." Esp. on Xbox where most games are 16:9 compatible even at 480.

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

aerofx

Fatghost28 said:
Will it be possible for X360 to out put the few Xbox1 games that run at 480i (like Metal Slug 3 - assuming it is compatible) at 480p or even 720p?

Same question for the PS3 - could it output PS2 or PS1 games that run at 480i as 480p or higher?

And assuming either system could do this - would the effect be noticeably better than just running 480i upscaled through your TV's built in scaler?

I don't think you can. There are some Xbox games that don't support 480p but can after you do a hex edit on the game's executable file. Unless there is some on-the-fly patch for each game, which I doubt, then it probably won't happen.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i somehow doubt that metal slug 3 will be among the "best-selling titles" that 360 supports. i should've just imported the ps2 version. unless i'm misunderstanding how 360 bc works, and it actually supports all xbox games while only being optimized for a select handful.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
drohne said:
i somehow doubt that metal slug 3 will be among the "best-selling titles" that 360 supports. i should've just imported the ps2 version. unless i'm misunderstanding how 360 bc works, and it actually supports all xbox games while only being optimized for a select handful.

no, games that dont work will be locked out. They will be updating the list until they reach 100% (or basically near 100% sans games that support specific controllers)

Yusaku

They'll never even come close to 100%. PS2 isn't 100%, and it has actual PS1 hardware in it.

They've only used the phrase "best selling Xbox games." They have no intention of getting 100% compatability.

cvxfreak

DopeyFish said:
no, games that dont work will be locked out. They will be updating the list until they reach 100% (or basically near 100% sans games that support specific controllers)

Well, Tekki/Steel Battalion is screwed then.

Rhindle

So what's up with PS3 backwards compatibility?

I don't recall any specific comments at E3 on the extent of backwards compatibility, or any indication that they are going to throw in a full PS2 chipset.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Rhindle said:

I don't recall any specific comments at E3 on the extent of backwards compatibility, or any indication that they are going to throw in a full PS2 chipset.

I thought sony aquired that PSX Emulation Team... I wonder if they also worked on a PS2 emulator?

Suikoguy said:
I thought sony aquired that PSX Emulation Team... I wonder if they also worked on a PS2 emulator?

Emulating the PS2?! The multiprocessor design would likely kept that from being visible, it's just so different. Heck look at the Saturn and the trails of emulating it. I can see the Graphics Synthesizer in there being emulated by the RSX GPU, but the Emotion Engine might be a bit of dozy to emulate.

Yusaku

Rhindle said:

The only thing we know is that it will be backwards compatable with both PS1 and PS2. We have no idea how compatable, but Sony has never used any dodgy language like "best selling."

Yusaku said:
The only thing we know is that it will be backwards compatable with both PS1 and PS2. We have no idea how compatable, but Sony has never used any dodgy language like "best selling."
didn't sony even list games with minor graphics and sound bugs etc when listing the games that were incompatible the last time?

Yusaku said:

Maybe the unneeded portions of the GF7800 that RSX seems to be based on is were they might place a shrunk down EE/GS chip for proper backwards compatibility. The media hardware attached to the 7800 is unneeded in the PS3 since Cell can handle such task fine all by itself.

jett

D-Member
PS2 backwards compatibility on the PS3 is achieved by a combination of emulation and actual PS2 hardware inside the PS3. Kutaragi said so in an interview a while ago. No word yet on "enchancements", but I'd be pretty darn happy with FSAA or something.

sangreal

Yusaku said:
They've only used the phrase "best selling Xbox games." They have no intention of getting 100% compatability.

While it is true that they won't have 100%, they have stated that it is their goal. They said they'll start with the best selling games and work down.

This is what they said just last week:
Our goal is to have virtually all of the games work on the Xbox 360.

sangreal

DopeyFish said:
yup. so is DDR and the light gun games

and unfortunately for me... i own them all :<

There will be dance mats for 360 available at launch, so I don't see why DDR wouldn't be possible.

sangreal

MightyHedgehog said:
Hmmm, why not just offer an XBOX controller port adaptor, then?

Because peripherals will need a security chip in order to communicate with the xbox 360, which old controllers don't have.

(Though SE says you can use a USB keyboard for FFXI)

sangreal

Suikoguy said:

Do you mean the Virtual Game Station that Connectix made? Sony only bought the rights/code to VGS (to kill it off), as far as I recall. I don't think they made off with any employees. Coincidentally, Microsoft later bought VirtualPC and hired most of their engineers.

sangreal said:
Because peripherals will need a security chip in order to communicate with the xbox 360, which old controllers don't have.

(Though SE says you can use a USB keyboard for FFXI)
the controller adapter could handle security!

sangreal

The Faceless Master said:
the controller adapter could handle security!

Well, that was just my guess since there is no other logical reason I could think of. :)

Xbox controllers are just usb controllers with a different end to begin with.

They could probably make an adapter that handled security, but that would probably open the door to using unlicensed peripherals through the adapter. In the end, whether there is a technical reason or not, I think they just want to sell you new peripherals :)

Yusaku

The Faceless Master said:
didn't sony even list games with minor graphics and sound bugs etc when listing the games that were incompatible the last time?

Yes, Sony released a list of like 12 games that wouldn't work on the PS2. Only one even worth mentioning was Tomba.

If the PS2 has the same innards as the PS1 then why would some PS1 games have trouble on it? Just curious.

I also remember how Final Fantasy V (or IV can't remember) glitched when tried to save. You could still save but you had to know exactly where to go in the menu.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
If the PS2 has the same innards as the PS1 then why would some PS1 games have trouble on it? Just curious.
It doesn't have all PS1 innards - the graphic chip side is part-software, part-hardware (GS supports some legacy addressing modes to help).

And obviously some other parts are a little different (like the sound chip) - it's tough to say what could really cause incompatibility, especially when it's as little as a dozen games out of 5000.

Rlan

ManaByte said:
It shouldn't do that if you don't have the loading speed up turned on.

I haven't tinkered with the speed. I've tried turning on the 'cleaning' bit, but every time I go and have a look back on the section, they've all reverted to their original choices [both off]

Raistlin

Both systems have dedicated scalars, so I don't see why they wouldn't offer upscaling.

That doesn't mean it'll look good though :) A lot of factors are involved.

Top Bottom