• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bad Boys 4 slaps the competition opening with $105M on a 100M budget

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber

Sony’s Bad Boys: Ride or Die pummeled pre-weekend opening projections, coming in with a $104.6M global bow, including $48.6M from the international box office. While the overseas debut is slightly off 2020’s Bad Boys for Life which did $50.3M in like-for-like offshore markets at today’s exchange rates, that film had strong legs. Either way, Ride or Die‘s start gave some much needed oomph to summer turnstiles. Its launch is 58% bigger than Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga.

Will Smith Wow GIF by 1LIVE

YCoCg

Gold Member
It's cool it's doing well but damn I just don't feel like watching it man, Martin Lawrence looks old and tired.

Damn, Furiosa can't get a break.
Lawl, I just watched Godzilla x Kong and that movie was FUCKING AWESOME and it also did like $500+ million in theaters and I'm sad I missed out on it in theaters. (I was traveling.)

Awesome movies are awesome and put butts in movie theater seats. It's a shame Furiosa thought it was a good idea to be a Mad Max movie that didn't have Mad Max in it

jason10mm

Gold Member
Huh, two straight men in an action film, no shoehorning in women or making "modern audience" casting changes (guess they kinda get a pass on that one), no overt pandering to China (how this is getting a release there is beyond me), and appealing to the core fanbase....anyone shocked this is doing OK?

If you had told me 10 years ago that the damned "Bad Boys" franchise would be the lone voice of reason in a world gone mad I woulda slapped that name right outta your mouth :p

You guys show up for fat drunk Martin Lawrence but you can't show up for Furiosa? Seriously?
Yes? I wanted to go to Furiosa even tho i dont give a fuck about her but i dunno i really really dont like the actress at all. Her face annoys me. If they stuck with Charlize i wouldve went.

No offense to the gambit actress but her acting/face is more of a "wtf am i doing here pls dont kill me" while Charlize has the "im going to stab you and fuck u in the stab hole" face which was perfect for Mad Max.

Last edited:

Doom85

Yes? I wanted to go to Furiosa even tho i dont give a fuck about her but i dunno i really really dont like the actress at all. Her face annoys me. If they stuck with Charlize i wouldve went.

No offense to the gambit actress but her acting/face is more of a "wtf am i doing here pls dont kill me" while Charlize has the "im going to stab you and fuck u in the stab hole" face which was perfect for Mad Max.

Having not even seen Fury Road (I’m sure I’ll like it, but probably not love it. I thought the first Mad Max was okay, the second one was pretty good, and I couldn’t even finish 3, I feel this series just ain’t my cup of tea), it did seem like an odd choice. I like Anya a lot, she killed it in The Witch, Split, and The Menu, but I feel if she were to have an action role this ain’t it, she looks off with the Furiosa makeup whereas images I saw Charlize with the makeup on seemed more fitting.

RedC

This is less about the quality of this film and Will Smith's level of stardom, and more about the audience feeling starved of a certain kind of movie.
In America, there was nearly a 50% drop in White audience movie ticket buyers from Bad Boys 4 Life to this movie, which was overcompensated by the significant increase in Latino audience movie ticket buyers from Bad Boys 4 Life to this movie.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
In America, there was nearly a 50% drop in White audience movie ticket buyers from Bad Boys 4 Life to this movie, which was overcompensated by the significant increase in Latino audience movie ticket buyers from Bad Boys 4 Life to this movie.
The ethnic demos are interesting. BB3 did 65mill opening weekend over MLK in 2020 (so just before the pandemic) while BB4 did 55mill. Both had a ~43% black audience, ~10% asian, and that hispanic/white flip you described. So that 10mill delta is basically the white audience that didn't show up for this (though maybe tickets are more now than in 2020 as well) and a bit lower attendance across the board as well. It also went from 58% under 35 to 50% under 35, guess the audience aged up in those 4 years :p

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I may go see this today. The previous one, Bad Boys for Life, was shockingly good for a popcorn buddy cop movie. Sadly it looks like only a few of the members of that young tech-focused team are returning.

Top Bottom