• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bad Boys 4 slaps the competition opening with $105M on a 100M budget

jason10mm

Gold Member
Truly an inspiration to all the cucks everywhere that you can be a cuck and also make it.
Eh, all us married guys can sympathize with a dude who chose poorly and is now suffering for it. Had Jada been an actual decent nice person herself I think Will may have come off worse, but she seems like such a demon we all owe him support just for taking her off our hands :p

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I truly believe that only perpetually online people on social media, cared that much about this.

Most people in the real world would act just like that theater crowd did if Will Smith suddenly appeared in front of them.
I think you've gone too far the other way with that, people absolutely cared, it was definitely a shocking event, easily the biggest news story in the western world for a week.

I'd argue that those people's reactions to seeing Smith is probably more a social media, perpetually online reaction than people not being shocked at an actor, one of the world's most famous people assaulting someone on stage at (diminished though it may be) the world's biggest award show.

People lose their minds when they see a celebrity and automatically start filming on their phones so they can share it on Instagram or whatever. That's what's the main driver, not that what Smith did didn't matter. In another time, he'd be in the shadow of that event for longer, I'd have thought.

EDIT: Missed the highlighted word

Last edited:

thefool

From the looks of it, this film deserves its success. Its not very expensive, knows its target audience and plays into it.
It's distasteful that other franchises will keep getting butchered, skewed and adapted to generate hateful reactions while pandered to certain audiences.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Yes? I wanted to go to Furiosa even tho i dont give a fuck about her but i dunno i really really dont like the actress at all. Her face annoys me. If they stuck with Charlize i wouldve went.

No offense to the gambit actress but her acting/face is more of a "wtf am i doing here pls dont kill me" while Charlize has the "im going to stab you and fuck u in the stab hole" face which was perfect for Mad Max.
I mean okay but Furiosa was a good movie and Bad Boys isn't, shouldn't that matter more?

March Climber

Gold Member
I think you've gone too far the other way with that, people absolutely cared, it was definitely a shocking event, easily the biggest news story in the western world for a week.

I'd argue that those people's reactions to seeing Smith is probably more a social media, perpetually online reaction than people being shocked at an actor, one of the world's most famous people assaulting someone on stage at (diminished though it may be) the world's biggest award show.

People lose their minds when they see a celebrity and automatically start filming on their phones so they can share it on Instagram or whatever. That's what's the main driver, not that what Smith did didn't matter. In another time, he'd be in the shadow of that event for longer, I'd have thought.
I agree about the shock of it at the time, but to clarify, my comment is mainly in regards to the people today who still deeply care about it after almost 2 years, after Chris Rock said they are good again, and after everything has fully died down and people have moved on.

I do feel that there is a line between offline behavior and online regardless of how many people try to merge the two together. People talk a lot online and some of those same people are as quiet as a mouse in person and still view content they claim they stopped viewing.

Also like Dusktildawn48 Dusktildawn48 said, there are way, way, way worse things out there that celebrities are known for or are rumored to be doing for Will’s Smith’s moment to upset anyone for as long as it has.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I agree about the shock of it at the time, but to clarify, my comment is mainly in regards to the people today who still deeply care about it after almost 2 years, after Chris Rock said they are good again, and after everything has fully died down and people have moved on.

I do feel that there is a line between offline behavior and online regardless of how many people try to merge the two together. People talk a lot online and some of those same people are as quiet as a mouse in person and still view content they claim they stopped viewing.

Also like Dusktildawn48 Dusktildawn48 said, there are way, way, way worse things out there that celebrities are known for or are rumored to be doing for Will’s Smith’s moment to upset anyone for as long as it has.
I'd have to look back here to see what my initial reaction to "the slap" was but ultimately I think its a nothingburger. Will still has INCREDIBLE charm and screen presence, outside of a few missteps his filmography is pretty solid, and regardless of his activities he seems like a fun guy to have a few beers with. Thats about all I require of my celebrities.

I don't need them to live the life they portray onscreen. I don't care if Neil Patrick Harris chokes down a dick every night, he is great as a ladies man. Same with Mel Gibson getting drunk and ranting at a lady cop or Paul Reubens spanking it in an XXX theater, I'll still watch their stuff. I kinda draw the line at Sean Penn slapping around women but that's exacerbated by his deplorable political stances, keep that shit to yourself and its between you and the idiot dames that keep dating you.

Curious if the Caucasian viewer drop for BB4 was due to cultural perceptions about the slap. Did white folks think it was a more egregious "bad manners" thing whilst hispanics, asians, and blacks saw it as more justified/defending his lady?

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable

Yeah, I think the shock has subsided with time, maybe quicker than you'd expect.

If you'd said BEFORE the oscars ceremony that he'd be in the wilderness* for a couple of years, nobody would have believed it, and I think if you'd said it immediately after, nobody would have believed it either. But the other way around. I'm surprised he's back after 2 years.

I wonder how much pressure Smith exerted to get this film done, how much of a paycut he took, etc. This $100m movie could well have been a $125m movie (or whatever) had he not gone to the Oscars that night!

*relative to being nominated for best actor and starring in some of the biggest movies of the time.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Good for Martin Lawrence, Ozempic ain't cheap.

Chris Rock can say whatever he wants, if he is being honest when he says that he is a better man than 99%. Most likely he says that and could even be professional with Smith again but there is a line that was crossed.

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Eh, all us married guys can sympathize with a dude who chose poorly and is now suffering for it. Had Jada been an actual decent nice person herself I think Will may have come off worse, but she seems like such a demon we all owe him support just for taking her off our hands :p
I can't I was in an abusive marriage. I didnt have millions and millions a therapist or adult children still I managed to get out. Walked away with the shirt on my back.
but at least I have my sanity.

Last edited:

Woggleman

Gold Member
I think unless a celebrity outright kills somebody or they show a pattern of being a serial abuser or predator like Diddy or R Kelly they can come back. Will Smith just lost his temper because of misdirected anger over his bad marriage. His otherwise near perfect standing can take that hit.

Scotty W

Banned
Huh, two straight men in an action film, no shoehorning in women or making "modern audience" casting changes (guess they kinda get a pass on that one), no overt pandering to China (how this is getting a release there is beyond me), and appealing to the core fanbase....anyone shocked this is doing OK?

If you had told me 10 years ago that the damned "Bad Boys" franchise would be the lone voice of reason in a world gone mad I woulda slapped that name right outta your mouth :p
I basically agree with you, even though I did not like 3. (2 is one of my favorites). I went back and reread my review of 3, and unsurprisingly, I hit the nail on the head. Tldr, the film seems to get a Muslim pass. In retrospect, it is the films extreme Joseph Campbell/Jungian literalism that bothers me. My review:

Post in thread 'Bad Boys For Life'
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/bad-boys-for-life.1500787/post-256834896

tkscz

The movie would need to make $400 million to make a profit but that's a damn good start to reaching that. At this point it just needs the legs.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
The movie would need to make $400 million to make a profit but that's a damn good start to reaching that. At this point it just needs the legs.

The budget was only $100m. We don't know how much they spent on marketing, but I am guessing not a ton - anecdotally, I watch a lot of Freevie, Pluto TV, and Tubi while I work these days, and I didn't see a single ad for this movie on these services or on any websites until two days before it released.

I bet stake holders would be very happy if this thing gets over the $250m mark after its box office run, physical sells, and streaming. But I'm not in the biz.

Watch this go to Bad Boys 10 and beyond. The young cast and the new boss are likeable. They do cool stuff without overshadowing the main characters.

Reggie is a top three best cinematic payoffs ever.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Hollywood reputation rehab.

I always find it weird how so many people turned on him after that ONE incident when his reputation was sterling before... Yet somehow others who do effed up ish over and over are still beloved by Hollywood... It's like bad boys are LOVED yet "nice guys" are discarded when they show even the SLIGHTEST of anger. "Cancel him/her!!!!"

jason10mm

Gold Member
I always find it weird how so many people turned on him after that ONE incident when his reputation was sterling before... Yet somehow others who do effed up ish over and over are still beloved by Hollywood... It's like bad boys are LOVED yet "nice guys" are discarded when they show even the SLIGHTEST of anger. "Cancel him/her!!!!"
I dunno, to walk up to a host who made a fairly mild joke and strike him on live TV on "hollywoods biggest night" is pretty damned outlandish. I think some of the 'outrage' was because some thought it was a planned stunt. Plus it was a black man being hit AND a black man doing the hitting, so how do you spin that? Guaranteed if it had been Bradley Cooper who slapped Chris or if Will had slapped Ricky Gervais then the conversation would have been even more apeshit. No one can really step back and look at it objectively, at least no american could a few years after BLM.

It always seemed a given that Will would be back, heck, even guys like Jonathon Majors and frikken Kevin Spacey will be around for YEARS. For sure Amber Heard will be cast in stuff so long as she keeps her looks. Hollywood THRIVES on controversy and hypocrisy, outside of a few eras of self-censorship. Especially considering the $$$ actors pull in these days, the stakes are too high and ANY name recognition is a plus, even for infamy.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I dunno, to walk up to a host who made a fairly mild joke and strike him on live TV on "hollywoods biggest night" is pretty damned outlandish. I think some of the 'outrage' was because some thought it was a planned stunt. Plus it was a black man being hit AND a black man doing the hitting, so how do you spin that? Guaranteed if it had been Bradley Cooper who slapped Chris or if Will had slapped Ricky Gervais then the conversation would have been even more apeshit. No one can really step back and look at it objectively, at least no american could a few years after BLM.

It always seemed a given that Will would be back, heck, even guys like Jonathon Majors and frikken Kevin Spacey will be around for YEARS. For sure Amber Heard will be cast in stuff so long as she keeps her looks. Hollywood THRIVES on controversy and hypocrisy, outside of a few eras of self-censorship. Especially considering the $$$ actors pull in these days, the stakes are too high and ANY name recognition is a plus, even for infamy.

I largely agree with you, bro. Some people are still pissed at Will as if he personally slapped their own mothers! LMBO!!!!

Puscifer

You guys show up for fat drunk Martin Lawrence but you can't show up for Furiosa? Seriously?
One movie gave the people what they wanted and the other didn't. What's hard to figure it? I'm waiting for streaming.

Mad Max is about Max, I can't think of a single character in Mad Max that's been so scene stealing they're worthy of an entire movie to flesh them out. Not to mention ATJ is just so fucking weird, she's like an anime sex doll and not in a good way.

KaiserBecks

Just came back from the cinema. It was awesome. Lawrence carried the entire thing, he was fucking hilarious. They rarely make movies like these, no agenda, nothing. Just pure action, pure comedy, everyone having fun. Awesome movie, even better than the previous one. 8.5/10
I think it was a 5/10 at best, nowhere near the first and second film. Third was utterly forgettable so that one’s no competition. Agree that Lawrence pretty much carried it though. Best part however was Reggie.

Woggleman

Gold Member
Because people didn't expect it from him. He even had a reputation as a clean and family friendly rapper that you could play in front of mom. If 50 cent did that nobody would care. Eminem got into a fight with a puppet and nobody cared.

I think it was a 5/10 at best,
Will Smith Reaction GIF

jason10mm

Gold Member
Watching BB3 now in prep for BB4 tomorrow. It ain't Michael Bays level of perfection but it's pretty damn close. It's a cozy warm blanket to be back with a buddy cop action franchise, I feel like these have all but died out in favor of the lone gunman stuff.

I am actually kinda wishing we could get a Lethal Weapon 5, Tango and Cash 2, Red Heat 2 (is Jim Belushi still alive?) because I do love these types of films.

Top Bottom