• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bad Day L.A. screens

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
927569_20050805_screen001.jpg

927569_20050805_screen002.jpg

927569_20050805_screen003.jpg

927569_20050805_screen004.jpg

927569_20050805_screen005.jpg

927569_20050805_screen006.jpg

927569_20050805_screen007.jpg

927569_20050805_screen008.jpg

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
I've never heard of this game... time to go read up on it...

Enlight says that in BDLA, gamers will be "thrust behind the shopping cart of a homeless-man-turned-city-saving crusader." The main character, one Anthony Williams, is a "reluctant hero who left behind the privileged life of a successful Hollywood agent after losing his self-respect." Williams encounters a number of challenges while traveling around the titular Southern California metropolis, including zombies, terrorists, and earthquakes.

Bad Day L.A., according to the publisher, is designed to "satirize" Los Angeles and disaster films. It will have 10 levels that will place gamers in a variety of LA neighborhoods, including Hollywood Boulevard, Venice Beach, and Beverly Hills. The game will also sport a distinctive, cel-shaded visual style developed by husband-and-wife illustration operation Kozyndan.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/04/25/news_6122825.html

Interesting...

KingJ2002

"Damn girl, you're so fat when you cross the street cars look out for you"

Wow... how edgy... look out GTA... this is "in your face" action redefined!

Mashing

Lets see:

Rip off GTA - Check!
Rip off MGS - Check!
Rip off Resident Evil - Check!
Rip off consumers - Checkmate!

Geek

Ninny Prancer
You know, I thought I liked Kozyndan. These screenshots are telling me otherwise. I appreciate the concept, but it just looks too assy for me.

ram

the game looks sooo ugly - i canr get into that visual style. it only looks poor to me.

raYne

Mashing said:
Lets see:

Rip off GTA - Check!
Rip off MGS - Check!
Rip off Resident Evil - Check!
Rip off consumers - Checkmate!
Indeed, but this game has children in it.

If GTA4 doesn't have children, animals (above water) and manical villans wearing red bullseye suits.. mission failed.

Zer0

Banned
let me check

when the cell is from a japanese dev everything is superb and wonderfull

when its from a american dev everything sucks

way wrong ppl,the game its not gears of war but the shot will all builldings collapsed and all the stuff in the street is interesting

if i have to safrifice dumbmapping and all the bell and whistles of gfx for interesting concepts,destructable enviroments and a lot of characters on screen,im glad to do it

Taibhse

Game looks like the world depicted in my D.A.R.E pamphlets and other various safety brochures. I like it. Now to see if it will be any fun.

sangreal

raYne said:
Indeed, but this game has children in it.

If GTA4 doesn't have children, animals (above water) and manical villans wearing red bullseye suits.. mission failed.

wow, I never even noticed GTA has no children or animals before you pointed it out

Zer0 said:
let me check

when the cell is from a japanese dev everything is superb and wonderfull

when its from a american dev everything sucks

way wrong ppl,the game its not gears of war but the shot will all builldings collapsed and all the stuff in the street is interesting

if i have to safrifice dumbmapping and all the bell and whistles of gfx for interesting concepts,destructable enviroments and a lot of characters on screen,im glad to do it

Perhaps if it was actual cel-shading you would have a point. As it stands, its just textures with black lines. And it looks like crap.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
GDJustin said:
Am I the only one that is excited about this game?

:(

i'm interested in it. the number of haters in this thread is surpising to me. art style be damned

raYne

sangreal said:
wow, I never even noticed GTA has no children or animals before you pointed it out
Seriously? :/

Other than the flying birds in SA you'll find a few animals under water.. fish, jellyfish, tortoise, dolphins etc but as I said the land itself is completely devoid of life. If they were trying to realistically portray an actual city you'd think they'd have some. :(

In any case, it's probably a conscious decision, and a wise one at that, on their part to keep child npc's out of that world. I can't imagine the backlash that would ensue(heh... sue..) if you were able the gun down children at will... :lol

But I'd seriously love to see animals though. Especially since the landscape should at least be as varied as in San Andreas, giving them ample opportunity to populate the woods/forest with all sorts of stuff.

Plus there's always a chance that a stray bear that could wonder into the city and start mauling people... :lol

*edit*
I just started reading up on the game since I wasn't following it before and...
GS: What are the key experiences you are hoping this game will deliver? Laughs? Escapism? Feeling of adventure? Conquest?

AM: Lots of laughs, for sure. We're comparing our main character to someone like Dave Chappelle or an early Eddie Murphy. So, first and foremost, you're going to be assaulted by one of the most irreverent and insane central characters you've ever seen in a game
that has me intrigued. Hopefully they have a strong lead voice over to carry that comedy because the delivery is of the utmost importance to pull that off.

crunker99

The shading here really does not striek my fancy. If you are going to make a game like this you shoudl follor the example XIII set, they did it pretty well for cel. This just looks like im shredding paper dolls.

Top Bottom