• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, and others cutting diplomatic ties to Qatar

Blablurn

News just broke out.

It's still developing.

BREAKING: Bahrain says it is cutting diplomatic ties to Qatar amid a deepening rift between Gulf Arab nations.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/871559741239156738

Saudi Arabia Is Cutting Diplomatic Ties With Qatar: State TV

https://www.bloomberg.com/

Will update this post.

UPDATE 1:

Bahrain has announced it is cutting diplomatic ties with Qatar, according to a statement carried on Bahrain News Agency.

The statement on Monday morning said Bahrain decided to sever ties with its neighbor ”on the insistence of the State of Qatar to continue destabilizing the security and stability of the Kingdom of Bahrain and to intervene in its affairs".

The statement also said Qatar's incitement of the media and supporting of terrorist activities and financing groups linked to Iran were reasons behind the decision.

”(Qatar has) spread chaos in Bahrain in flagrant violation of all agreements and covenants and principles of international law Without regard to values, law or morals or consideration of the principles of good neighborliness or commitment to the constants of Gulf relations and the denial of all previous commitments," the statement read.

Qatari citizens have 14 days to leave Bahraini territories while Qatari diplomats were given 48 hours to leave the country after being expelled.
Meanwhile, Bahrain has also banned all of its citizens from visiting or residing in Qatar after the severance of ties.

Meanwhile, Bahrain has has closed both air and sea borders with Qatar.

https://english.alarabiya.net/en/Ne...-announces-it-is-cutting-ties-with-Qatar.html

UPDATE 2:

#UAE has followed #Saudi and #Bahrain and has cut diplomatic ties with #Qatar blocked airspace and sea lanes and roadways

https://twitter.com/awadz/status/871560772140380160

UPDATE 3:

Here is an older article with a bit of background: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2017/06/01/whats-going-on-with-qatar/

Seems like Saudi Arabia and/or UAE is trying to assert dominance in the region and take a harder line on Iran than before. Qatar's leader may have recently said some critical remarks or a state run news website was hacked and he never said those things at all. Also Obama's nuanced diplomacy in the region has been replaced by Trump's support for Saudi Arabia and anti-Iran stance has probably emboldened Saudi Arabia to make this move

UPDATE 4:

Egypt cuts ties too

UPDATE 5:

Jordan getting in on the action too:

u4o5V3H.png

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/06/qatar-diplomatic-crisis-latest-updates-170605105550769.html

And of course Al Jazeera is the main target again.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Apparently all Qatari citizens are being deported from Bahrain as well.

This sounds like a really bad omen. To be fair, i'm not entirely up to date on how things are going in that part of the world, but this sounds bad.

dakun

so seeing Bahrain and Saudi Arabia are in agreement here.. i'm guessing Qatar are actually in the right here lol

great time for the state department to be run by a guy who doesn't talk to the press, and is guarded by two people, guarded from his own staff whom reportedly he doesn't trust.

Qatar is sort of a US puppet state, I wonder if Saudi Arabia feels somewhat enabled after witnessing first hand the man baby in charge.

Keikaku

There's so much domestic, American bullshittery going on that I've totally failed at keeping up with this news. Outside of the article in the OP, was there any sort of long term inkling that this was gonna happen?

Umm fuck?
Qatari citizens have 14 days to leave Bahraini territories while Qatari diplomats were given 48 hours to leave the country after being expelled. Meanwhile, Bahrain has also banned all of its citizens from visiting or residing in Qatar after the severance of ties.

Meanwhile, Bahrain has has closed both air and sea borders with Qatar.
Trump is furiously masturbating to this news

Is this related to crimes against humanity allegations due to the World Cup "slavery" or is there something else going on?

*truly asking, I find this very interesting and would like any help I could get on learning more

clemenx

Banned
Is this related to crimes against humanity allegations due to the World Cup "slavery" or is there something else going on?

*truly asking, I find this very interesting and would like any help I could get on learning more

That would be the pot calling the kettle black.

pa22word

From what I have some cursory understanding of the situation Qatar has been playing both sides of the Gulf Cold War for a while now and I'm guessing the situation finally came to a head and the Arab states are tired of it.

Wait so looking at that email thing, did Qatar just purposefully piss of all of its neighbors?

I'm guessing there's a lot of history between them all but is it Bahrain, Saudia Arabia and UAE vs Qatar because if so that sounds terrifying if you're qatar

Knowing absolutely nothing about this story, does someone have a summary of the events leading to this? I can't exactly trust the statement of one group as factual or impartial in this case.

Good, hopefully this is the beginning of the end of OPEC and within a generation or two, state sponsored wahabbism is a thing of the past so the region can finally begin to heal.

pa22word

What's the worst possible stance the US can take on this so I can prepare for Trump doing it?

If it's leading to war...basically all paths are laden with shit sandwiches. The least destructive path is probably getting out of the way, but then we get another Syria situation where the US catches all the blame anyways because it's the US and "we should do something!"

Aceofspades

Banned
Isn't Qatar well known for supporting the Muslim Brotherhood?

Not just Muslim brotherhood, alqaeda among other extremist groups. They have been trying explicitly to cause internal disturbance in other Arab countries for a long time.

SA, UAE have been trying to solve issues with Qatar for a long time. There was even an audio tape for Qatar prince taking pride in being the most country causing trouble to KSA.

kess

He's fucked. $100 billion deal with Saudis just a few days ago who have cut ties with a city that harbors one of our largest military bases in the middle east.

On the heels of supporting Russia despite them giving aid to the Taliban

Next president has their hands tied

Top Bottom