• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, and others cutting diplomatic ties to Qatar

massoluk

Banned
He's fucked. $100 billion deal with Saudis just a few days ago who have cut ties with a city that harbors one of our largest military bases in the middle east.
Oh boy. Good thing he has no business tie to muddy his decision as POTUS thanks to long standing stance on emoluments clause as well

Mugsy

Here is an older article with a bit of background: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2017/06/01/whats-going-on-with-qatar/

Seems like Saudi Arabia and/or UAE is trying to assert dominance in the region and take a harder line on Iran than before. Qatar's leader may have recently said some inflammatory remarks or a state run news website was hacked and he never said those things at all. Also Obama's nuanced diplomacy in the region has been replaced by Trump's support for Saudi Arabia and anti-Iran stance has probably emboldened Saudi Arabia to make this move

Breads

Banned
Qatari citizens have 14 days to leave Bahraini territories while Qatari diplomats were given 48 hours to leave the country after being expelled.

Woah... this is a lot more serious than I thought.

Qatari citizens have 14 days to leave Bahraini territories while Qatari diplomats were given 48 hours to leave the country after being expelled.

That is generally a very bad sign. Hopefully diplomacy can prevail here.

KillLaCam

Banned
if shit falls through with the US, hopefully all of the university students studying down there for a few semesters are able to leave without issues.
Woah I didn't even think about this. That has to be a scary situation.

I studied in the Philippines for a semester before things started going crazy. I don't even know what I would have done if I was there when the death squad drug war stuff started. Like would we even get to leave easily?

Madness

Is this related to crimes against humanity allegations due to the World Cup "slavery" or is there something else going on?

*truly asking, I find this very interesting and would like any help I could get on learning more

No, it is because Qatar is very close to Iran. Saudi Arabia considers itself the Arab and Muslim leader in the region. They also hate the Shia Houthi rebels in Yemen. They don't like Iran having so much influence. Qatar also would rather move away from SA. So Qatar is helping Iran challenge Saudi leadership in a lot of countries.

This has nothing to do with the slavery allegations since Saudi Arabia uses the same type of labor, but even employs it for maids, drivers and servants.

But they cannot stop Doha aka Qatar. They realize the oil is running out which is why they are spending billions on the world cup. This is what a ramp up to eventual conflict looks like. Egypt has also cut ties. Just one more rung on the ladder of conflict in the middle east it feels like. The scary part for Qatar is that Saudi Arabia has bootlicker Trump in office. They showered Trump with praise and so he'll greenlight anything the Sauds want.

Sounds ominous. But I guess it remains to be seen how serious this actually becomes.

And on the surface, you have SA and a few others on one side. A SA we just signed a massive arms deal with. And you have Qatar, home to a massive US military base? It... just doesn't seem like something the US has the capability of effectively handling. I guess it's not like the US has ever handled middle east situations well. But with Trump in office, I have a feeling whatever the outcome, it'll be worse than usual.

So who are the 'good' guys here, generally speaking?

Qatar? Saudi Arabia? Bahrain?

Like..if we had to root for one who was morally good, who would it be?

Or is it just a muddy grey over there and they're all more or less equally complicit in morale wrong doings?

Or is it just a muddy grey over there and they're all more or less equally complicit in morale wrong doings?

Definetely not Qatar

None are good...but I think it's clear who the worst one is. Saudi's use their power and wealth to export one of the most abhorrent ideologies currently practiced. Rich coming from them accusing others of supporting extremists.

None of them, you hope the war begins the destruction of all three regimes and that the proxy conflict between the Shia and Sunni nations ends.

A conventional "victory" would mean little. Just replacing one set of princes for another.

Trump is surely the man to trust to handle this situation.
You know, maybe this whole "peace in the Middle East" thing is a lot easier than everyone's thinking

Trump during negotiations:
636176429220446747-1738137744_die-hard-thumbs-up-gif-Imgur-3HjB.gif

ExVicis

In this situation everyone sucks but I feel like SA edges it out to be just a bit worse.

How well fortified is Qatar and what resources does it have?

Reading about this and the first thing thats going to be a problem is that Qatar imports almost all of its food from Saudi Arabia. Finding replacements this quickly is going to be a real problem.

This is going to require much nuance and balancing to figure out how to manage the crisis without open war.

So, there's gonna be war.

He's fucked. $100 billion deal with Saudis just a few days ago who have cut ties with a city that harbors one of our largest military bases in the middle east.

Also they'll tell him they are funding Iran and hezbollah and that will enough for the moron to go along or just not care whatever the case the US is not anytype of mediating party anymore.

antonz

Just in time for that 100+ billion dollars arm deal. The Blanket Support Trump has for Saudi Arabia is certainly a huge factor.

Just what Trump needs to get the headlines changed though. Big turmoil in the Middle East

CrazyHorse

Funnily enough Iran and Qatar are not allies. Saudis are using Iran as an excuse. The Saudis dislike Qatar because of Hamas, Morsi etc. Iran is just bait to get Trump involved.

DiscoJer

None are good...but I think it's clear who the worst one is. Saudi's use their power and wealth to export one of the most abhorrent ideologies currently practiced. Rich coming from them accusing others of supporting extremists.

But Qatar does the same thing with the Muslim Brotherhood and to an extent, its state funded media.

It's like back in Europe when there were 3 different popes at the same time. You have all these governments using religion as part of their political portfolio, just like at one time, there was a pop in Italy and a pope in France (and one more also in Italy)

Mr.Mike

Reading about this and the first thing thats going to be a problem is that Qatar imports almost all of its food from Saudi Arabia. Finding replacements this quickly is going to be a real problem.

Cutting Qatar off from food would be a crime against humanity and legal casus belli (for Qatar to attack, whatever its worth to them), no?

But Qatar does the same thing with the Muslim Brotherhood and to an extent, its state funded media.

It's like back in Europe when there were 3 different popes at the same time. You have all these governments using religion as part of their political portfolio, just like at one time, there was a pop in Italy and a pope in France (and one more also in Italy)

Qatar's reach is very minimal though, not close to the scale of the Sauds. Saudi has had a hand in ruining multiple countries (Pakistan, Afghanistan etc.)

Madness

Just in time for that 100+ billion dollars arm deal. The Blanket Support Trump has for Saudi Arabia is certainly a huge factor.

Just what Trump needs to get the headlines changed though. Big turmoil in the Middle East

Maybe that is because the Kingdom of Saud knew what thwy planned to do. Which is why they also bought a warship. At the end of the day they know the Trump administration doesn't care about Qatar or middle eastern suffering but would like the nation that just bought $110 bllion in US weaponry to win.

Iolo

None of them, you hope the war begins the destruction of all three regimes and that the proxy conflict between the Shia and Sunni nations ends.

A conventional "victory" would mean little. Just replacing one set of princes for another.

Yeah I can't wait for 3 more Syrias either.

Top Bottom