• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldurs Gate 3 - Are you interested?

Are you interested in BG3?

• Yes, I'll play at or around release

Votes: 77 36.0%
  • Yes, I'll check it out at some point in the future

Votes: 85 39.7%
  • No, I'm not interested at all

Votes: 39 18.2%
  • Yes, I've already been playing the early access build

Votes: 13 6.1%

• Total voters

kicker

Banned
It seems to be the most ambitious crpg, and will probably be for a while.

Discussion around here tends to lean towards consoles and console gaming. Divinity Original Sin 2 proved that crpgs can be succesful on consoles, but I think it's still a hard sell to console gamers, especially this year

The most recent trailer, which doesn't do a good job selling the game as it will be, in my opinion

Are you interested?

The only baulders gate I've played was dark alliance in 2002. I loved that game. Co op was so much fun with my friend.

I will try this eventually. Too many other great games in the meantime.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Why wouldn't an RPG/CRPG fan be interested when their last game was so good? Their last game being Original Sin 2 of course, it's not like they had anything to do with previous Baldur's Gate games or anyone cared about (if not outright feared) a direct continuation attempt so many years later.

LOL @ having changed the Original Sin 2 blurb to say this after the fact though, it's sad they make such great games of their own, with a quite long tradition (even if their best is their most recent, that's also good as they keep improving), but a previously dead series still has more marketing power:

Why does any single trailer matter, anyone can see what it is from any number of other videos and info on games.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
It will be one of the biggest games of the year; the fact that it is a CRPG isn't going to matter much when it's going to get the everloving hell hyped and played out of it on launch.

Haven't touched the game in two years and STARFIELD is going to REALLY need to bring it to get me to be there for its launch woes.

Spyxos

I can only remember this one presentation where the developer died 2-3 times on the very first enemy in the game. The game seems to be hardcore hard, but otherwise I would be interested to check it out.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I pre-ordered it. These guys know how to make proper turn based rpg games. My only fear is that it will be too long(and they're not very good at storytelling).

I played half of BG 2(~at least 50 hours), finished D:OS 1(on console) and 2(on PC).

Edgelord79

Gold Member
4) I was but not any longer due to the perpetual early access and it’s resemblance to a different game.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

I have a hard time determining if I am interested or not. I love CRPGs. Baldur's Gate 1&2, Fallout 1/2, NWN2 MotB, Divinity OS2, PoE2, and Pathfinder WotR are some of my favorite games of all times. Yet... something feels off on BG3, don't know. Maybe its because the game is only up to lvl 12 or so? I liked BG1, for example, but BG2 is where that game blew out. Low level D&D is meh-ish.

I've seen the videos, read the previews, yet for some reason its not clicking. I think I'll give it a few months to patch up first. Larian has been testing higher level combat by themselves so I have some doubts there as well.

geary

BG3 and Rogue Trader are the next real CRPG…To bad they wont get some love from the awards sites.

kicker

Banned
Why wouldn't an RPG/CRPG fan be interested when their last game was so good? Their last game being Original Sin 2 of course, i
I should probably have put it in the title but I was more asking about the people who don't usually play these types of games. Yeah, like I mentioned DOS 2 was more popular than usual with console gamers.

Although there are also a lot people who aren't interested in bg3 specifically because larian is making it. You've probably seen the divinity 3 jokes around

I just wanted to see what the general interest level was like on neogaf

Why does any single trailer matter, anyone can see what it is from any number of other videos and info on games.
Yes, but doesn't that particular trailer I posted make it seem like they're trying to attract people who only play 3rd person, over the shoulder cinematic-focus games? Like they want more people to play it than the usual crowd?
That might just be standard marketing, but still, there are very few shots showing top-down gameplay. That's why I said the trailer doesn't really sell the game as it is

My overall point is that the crpg genre as a whole probably needs BG3 to be a smashing success. And I wanted to see whether the hype is alive even here. That's all

StereoVsn

It isn't the game I wanted, but it's the game I'm getting. Larian is talented, but Owlcat would've been a much better fit.
Still, I'm down for Divinity: AD&D Edition.
Rogue Trader is releasing this year supposedly. I have some doubts on the release, but Owlcat did very very well in Pathfinder and especially WotR. Plus the theme is potentially outstanding with 40K Warhammer and Rogue Trader faction.

My guess its going to be 2024 game. For BG3... dunno, I will wait for reviews, impressions and couple of patches at least.

kicker

Banned
it's going to get the everloving hell hyped and played out of it on launch.
That's the hope.

BG3 is in a unique situation both in terms of being in a crowded year of big releases, and the fact that it's been out in early access for some time now.

Mozzarella

For sure, i loved Divinity OS2 so im excited to play this one, i think if you wait 1 year you will get a better experience, it will probably come with better patches and definitive edition, but i can't wait lol.
Day 1

StereoVsn

That's the hope.

BG3 is in a unique situation both in terms of being in a crowded year of big releases, and the fact that it's been out in early access for some time now.
Thing is its only up to lvl 5 (or is it 6 now). So very low level combat. Same for content, just early game. It will hopefully sell like gangbusters and be an amazing game, but we won't know till after release. I don't even trust big media reviewers anymore. Will watch/read of course, but especially on previews, can't trust them.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Yes, but doesn't that particular trailer I posted make it seem like they're trying to attract people who only play 3rd person, over the shoulder cinematic-focus games? Like they want more people to play it than the usual crowd?
That might just be standard marketing, but still, there are very few shots showing top-down gameplay. That's why I said the trailer doesn't really sell the game as it is
I think it more tries to look like a Bioware (ie Console CRPG) game what with the character close ups and um relationship stuff hinted. Can't you wander the world in close up third person a la Dragon Age (I think without wasd controls unless they added it, but still)?

Last edited:

kicker

Banned
I think it more tries to look like a Bioware game what with the character close ups and um relationship stuff hinted. Can't you wander the world in close up third person a la Dragon Age (I think without wasd controls unless they added it, but still)?
Maybe. I have no idea about the close up 3rd person thing though, I try to avoid specific information for games I will be spending a lot of time in

Thing is its only up to lvl 5 (or is it 6 now). So very low level combat. Same for content, just early game. It will hopefully sell like gangbusters and be an amazing game, but we won't know till after release. I don't even trust big media reviewers anymore. Will watch/read of course, but especially on previews, can't trust them.

Did they announce a level cap?

Already bought it on PC and will be buying it on PS5 so my wife and I can play with our D&D group. My most anticipated release this year.

Every year I try to get into CRPGs and every year I fail. The combat and party systems always block me. So no - I give up.

Last edited:
I'm definitely buying it. Maybe not at launch. I mean I'd love to but if I'm playing something else then it'll wait. With Zelda and Diablo IV coming this year those two games will take up a lot of my time.

I was going to buy it a while back but read it only has the first act and if there is a patch then your save is wiped. I can't be arsed with that so might as well just wait until it releases. Like I said, I'm going to be dead to the world this time next month when Zelda is out so no point buying any new games just yet!

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
It's my second most anticipated game of the year

1. Zelda
2. Baldur's Gate 3
3. Trails Into Reverie
4. Starfield
5. FF 16

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Am I playing GOTY?

Dumb And Dumber GIF

This might be a hot take but here we go.

Already bought it and played the early access for 8 hours.

To be completely honest, my hype for the game has deflated a lot after playing it. I'll still definitely play the full version, and I still expect it to be a good game, but back when I heard it was turn based I thought it was going to be divinity's gate 3 and it was my most anticipated game of the year, even in an insanely stacked year like this. Now I've played it, it feels a lot more like a turn based version of the Baldur's gate series (which is what it should be I suppose) than a divinity game.

To be clear: I don't find the DnD combat or leveling system anywhere near as exciting and rich as divinity. The DnD rules designed for group tabletop sessions don't translate as well into a videogame as a system designed with the intent of being a videogame from the getgo imo. Level ups come so slow and their gains are so modest, abilities with really average benefits still have a good chance to fail, and enhancements from finding new weapons and gear feel incremental.

This is all coming from a guy who never played DnD. My only experience with it is Baldur's Gate 1, Baldur's Gate 2 and Planescape Torment (all good games) along with every tv show that decided to do 1 episode where all the characters play a DnD game. The IT Crowd did it best btw.

So keep that in mind and if you like DnD mechanics you probably shouldn't be worried. But I would describe Divinity Original's Sin 2's battle system as one of the best in all of gaming, and Baldur's Gate 3, at least in the early stage, I would describe as alright. On the positive side, Larian seem to be doing a better job with characters, story and interesting dialogue choices so people looking forward to those aspects of the game should be excited. But for my part, when I thought this game would be stealth divinity 3 in a baldur's gate skinsuit I was over the moon and more hyped for it than all the other big games coming out this year. At this stage I still think it will be a good game, I don't expect to be replaying the game many times the way I do with divinity unless things really change with the battle system at higher levels or something.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
yea i am.

I remmeber playing baldurs gate 2 and my kensei is pretty OP lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom