• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate 3 has sold over 15 million copies

Elbereth

Season 5 Wow GIF by The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Good guy Larian. Well deserved.

I didn't realize DOS2 sold so much! I wonder if it had a long tail with good word of mouth because I don't remember the hype being half of what BG3 has had.

Sentenza

This is not my type of game but I am tempted to buy the physical copy just to try to understand the hype. Just like I did with RDR2.
The game is great (for the most part).
But this is not an advice to buy it, since you may be beyond redemption.

Mr.Phoenix

Whats even better is the game cost $100M to make.

The industry needs to take note. You do not need $300M to make a 40hr+ game, nor do you need mtxs, dlc, GAAS..... or any other buzz word you can think of to make a AAA game.

If this was warner bros they would say after seeing these sales they have decided to make all future investments be in GAAS.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Whats even better is the game cost $100M to make.

The industry needs to take note. You do not need $300M to make a 40hr+ game, nor do you need mtxs, dlc, GAAS..... or any other buzz word you can think of to make a AAA game.

If this was warner bros they would say after seeing these sales they have decided to make all future investments be in GAAS.
It's never been about need. Always been about greed.

Outlier

Congrats and justified recognition, but let's not forget what tends to happen with AA devs hitting it big.

As most of us should know by now. The bigger they get, the messier their downfall tends to be.

One of the best games I've ever played. 400 hours into it and just started a new playthrough. Have it modded to shit and hopefully won't be broken too badly by the announced new endings being added.

Larian has delivered something that almost assuredly won't be matched in scope or quality for a long time. Makes me wish that Owlcat had the same resources as them as they are about the only ones in the same wheelhouse that are making games I'm interested in checking out.

StereoVsn

One of the best games I've ever played. 400 hours into it and just started a new playthrough. Have it modded to shit and hopefully won't be broken too badly by the announced new endings being added.

Larian has delivered something that almost assuredly won't be matched in scope or quality for a long time. Makes me wish that Owlcat had the same resources as them as they are about the only ones in the same wheelhouse that are making games I'm interested in checking out.
Yep, absolutely a great job for Larian. And I also wish Owlcat had more funding.

An Owlcat Pathfinder or Warhammer game with BG3 sort of a budget would be amazing.

WitchHunter

Banned
Yep, absolutely a great job for Larian. And I also wish Owlcat had more funding.

An Owlcat Pathfinder or Warhammer game with BG3 sort of a budget would be amazing.
Dey can buy dem owlcat guys. Smash them in the head with a bronze scepter a few times, so they would lower the gameplay time by 3x, then everything will be a-ok.

Robb

Gold Member
That sounds like a monumental feat tbh, considering the genre. Does this make it the best selling CRPG ever?

Anyway, cool to see and seems very well deserved.
counting-money-stack-daffy-duck-kifu22nph4nodgi3.gif

Bought the game full price, It's still sitting in my backlog.
I think it's going to disappoint me, ridiculous amount of hype I keep seeing.

Denton

This is not my type of game but I am tempted to buy the physical copy just to try to understand the hype. Just like I did with RDR2.
Would it be your type of game if it was third person? Because there is a fantastic mod for that.
Of course, combat is still turnbased and top down, but the third person for exploration made the game 100% more enjoyable for me.

Hudo

The game is pretty good. I can be a Paladin wielding a spear. So it taps into my power fantasy needs (much like Elden Ring).

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I was told turn based games are dead and every modern take on an old school RPG franchise must feature you mashing X while the screen fills with particle effects and numbers.

Alan Wake

Would it be your type of game if it was third person? Because there is a fantastic mod for that.
Of course, combat is still turnbased and top down, but the third person for exploration made the game 100% more enjoyable for me.
I don't know tbh. I think this genre itself simply doesn't suit me. But we'll see. 🙂

Buggy Loop

Good guy Larian. Well deserved.

I didn't realize DOS2 sold so much! I wonder if it had a long tail with good word of mouth because I don't remember the hype being half of what BG3 has had.

DOS2 was only hailed as one of the best cRPG of all time, but you’re right, not much fuss over it. I believe it had long legs and deep sales to reach those numbers. Comparatively, BG3 selling like it did at full price (barely a discount so far) makes it all the more impressive. Must be a huge difference in revenue.

Gp1

Larian never hid behind D&D.
In fact the best thing for them is that they parted ways with WoTC. One of the weakest points in Baldurs Gate 3 is the D&D 5th ed. bullshit.

Last edited:

Soltype

I ended up buying it thrice. early access, collectors edition and on console. I'm sure a lot of people have more than one copy.

Top Bottom