• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate 3 has sold over 15 million copies

Whats even better is the game cost $100M to make.

The industry needs to take note. You do not need $300M to make a 40hr+ game, nor do you need mtxs, dlc, GAAS..... or any other buzz word you can think of to make a AAA game.

If this was warner bros they would say after seeing these sales they have decided to make all future investments be in GAAS.
Not every game is the same mate, some games cost more than others for obvious reasons, it's the same with movies, music etc

I don't understand the point you're trying to make?

FeralEcho

I wonder if their next game will do this well without having an established IP attached to it.
I think it's a similar story as with CD Projekt Red and The Witcher series,before the Witcher 3 both The Witcher series and CD Projekt Red were rather unknown to the public outside of gaming enthusiasts like us,now they are a powerhouse even to the normies,same with Larian,The Divinity series is really good but its BG3 that proppeled them to these heights,no normie was playing Divinity but everyone and their mother at least heard of Baldur's Gate 3 if not play it,now whatever they do next everyone will be watching them.

Mr.Phoenix

Not every game is the same mate, some games cost more than others for obvious reasons, it's the same with movies, music etc
Think I don't know that? Or that isn't obvious. And how can you understand the e point I was making when you only saw one of like 5 things I highlighted?
I don't understand the point you're trying to make?
40+ hour games, everything open world, chasing GAAS, soaring budgets, microtransactions....etc. These are all things that are plaguing AAA development today and stifling growth and innovation. These are the buzzwords or tendencies that publishers either chase or fall victim of. What BG3 has shown, is that you don't need most of that to make a good game. And that you should just make a great game, and not conform to any of the aforementioned points.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Bought 2 copies and I'd buy it again. Forget game of the generation, it's game of several generations.

geary

Think I don't know that? Or that isn't obvious. And how can you understand the e point I was making when you only saw one of like 5 things I highlighted?

40+ hour games, everything open world, chasing GAAS, soaring budgets, microtransactions....etc. These are all things that are plaguing AAA development today and stifling growth and innovation. These are the buzzwords or tendencies that publishers either chase or fall victim of. What BG3 has shown, is that you don't need most of that to make a good game. And that you should just make a great game, and not conform to any of the aforementioned points.
The better wording is a good product. You can have good 40+ hours games with open world. Larian demonstrated that with 100m, you can have financial success and make a game that is loved by the customer.

Top Bottom