• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate 3 peaked at 813,000 simultaneous players on Steam

First CRPG I've tried due to the hype. Ended up refunding it. Those type of games aren't for me I guess.
You probably didn't give it a long enough chance...do you like a good story? Genre shouldn't matter. If it's just the gameplay that stops you, well new things are hard to get into but once you get over that curve you are opening up yourself to a world of great stories.

- Someone who didn't play CRPGs until DOS2

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
What’s the gameplay like in a crpg?

Wonder if I’d like this or not.

Looks a little too neckbeard for me.

@kbear ? Kacho Kacho ?
"Neckbeard" isn't a wrong way to describe this game. It wears it's tabletop RPG foundations on its sleeve, more than any game I have ever played.

But as someone who doesn't usually like cRPGs, this one works for me.

Combat isn't that far off from like a Final Fantasy Tactics or Shining Force sort of thing, but it's not grid-based.

The structure of the game is very open, but not necessarily open world, if that makes sense. The game is broken into maps, and the maps have roads and paths that are lined with invisible walls, so you aren't trekking across open fields toward far off mountains, the whole game world feels very hand crafted.

But it gives you TONS of freedom in how you approach the game. It's super dense with quests and scenarios everywhere you go and there are different solutions to almost all of the, which can make the game play out very differently. It's not a game where you can see everything in one playthrough (or two or three, most likely).

It feels like a game that actually gives you the space to define your character and really roleplay.

Retrofluxed

Most people are still gonna be playing it a month from now. 25% of the Steam owners haven't even finished the tutorial. Over 90% aren't out of act 1.
Mods disable achievements (until today, as there is now a mod for that), so it's hard to tell how many actually have or haven't finished the tutorial.

Buggy Loop

Short answer: boring.

edgelord GIF by AOK

Dream-Knife

Banned
You probably didn't give it a long enough chance...do you like a good story? Genre shouldn't matter. If it's just the gameplay that stops you, well new things are hard to get into but once you get over that curve you are opening up yourself to a world of great stories.

- Someone who didn't play CRPGs until DOS2
I do like a good story. I probably didn't give it long enough of a shot, but what I played didn't really appeal to me. I've never been into those overhead western PC RPGs. Something about them just doesn't gel with me. I'm also not a D&D person, and haven't cared for western RPGs either.

I don't like Diablo either.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
You were correct, though.

I mean Divinity original sin to Divinity original 2 and Baldurs gate III feels like the exact same level of progression as Witcher, Witcher 2 and finally Witcher 3.

I definitely prefer seeing the forgotten realms brought to life over Divinity though, it's just a much more engaging world.

Gorgon

It's the sequel to Dragon Age Origins The Witcher 3 I always wanted. And yet Bioware have scrapped DA4 and started over numerous times.

Just make a good RPG. There's an audience for it, and BG3 proves it. 800k is an absolutely insane number for a CRPG in 2023.

DOS2 player here too.

For starters combat has a complete different feel to it, since it follows DnD rules and all, though many elements like high ground advantage still re-appear. There are also surfaces but they're nowhere near as prevalent as they were in DOS2 (don't expect fights scenes to become sea of flames on the first turn). Dice rolls are also a much more present mechanic, its not uncommon to have attacks that only have a 55% chance of hitting, so you must take that into account also.
Combat also feels kinda brutal at times, in DOS2 you'd be murdering everything in sight, but here taking a more conservative approach is advisable, especially since rest isn't as basic as it was in DOS2 (though its still a lot more forgiving than in other crpgs).

Story feels more serious in general. There's still some of that laid back and chaotic feeling from DOS2, but the game does a much better job at making you feel empathetic towards the characters (i guess close-up cinematics help in that aspect). I'd say story and its presentation have a much more "The Witcher 3" feel to it than DOS2, even camera angles and animations remind me of it. Plenty of story checks also rely on dice rolls, things like having origin characters die at the very beginning due to really bad roll can 100% happen.

The thing with DOS is that it feels too goofy and silly based on what I've seen of the game. Obviously it's a mater of taste, but what's your opinion on that?

Guilty_AI

The thing with DOS is that it feels too goofy and silly based on what I've seen of the game. Obviously it's a mater of taste, but what's your opinion on that?
I didn't really get that feeling. Its pretty theatrical with the voice lines delivery, but so is BG3 really.

Madflavor

The edits you made on my post are incorrect. It's public knowledge DA4 has gone through more than one reiteration during it's development. Also how is BG3 more like TW3 instead of DAO? I

The edits you made on my post are incorrect. It's public knowledge DA4 has gone through more than one reiteration during it's development. Also how is BG3 more like TW3 instead of DAO? I
BG3 is like TW3 except you can play through the entire game as Geralt, or Yennifer, or Ciri, or Eskel, or Dandelion, or Triss.

Gorgon

I was just pulling your leg, mate. I love TW and dislike DA. Sorry if it felt like I was shitting on your post, that wasn't the case.

Well deserved. Any amount of free time I can get, I'll use to play. Sadly means I don't get to play that much right now so I've relegated myself to waking up super early to get some time in before I have to start the day.

Wildebeest

Where are all the people who said that last week that this game would have no legs and anyway people would just drop it when they realised how it wasn't a third person action game?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
what the fuck

Thirty7ven

Banned
First CRPG I've tried due to the hype. Ended up refunding it. Those type of games aren't for me I guess.

Should’ve stuck to it because it’s the type of game where something happens hours into it, a level of immersion that is ever fleeting in the games industry these days.

Tomi

A couple of thousand more, and it will beat Hogwarts Legacy peak, this is actualy insane!!!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Yoshichan

Yeah 10pm now in Sweden and around 9pm/11pm around Europe now, now the big boi men told their wives "one more minute"-deadline is gone

Top Bottom