• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear |OT| Tales of a Sword Coast Legend

Siege-of-Dragonspear.jpg

Welcome to an expansion 17 years in the making!

BeamDog said:
"Though Sarevok is dead and his plan for war averted, peace eludes the citizens of Baldur's Gate. A crusade marches from the north, seizing supplies, forcing locals into military service, and disrupting trade along the Sword Coast. A charismatic warrior known as the Shining Lady leads this army, her background shrouded in mystery. Can the rumors be true—is she, like you, the child of a god?

The closer you get to the Shining Lady, the more you realize your father, the dead Lord of Murder still casts a long shadow upon your path. Baldur's Gate has put its faith in you, but you must determine whose interests you truly serve before you face the Shining Lady among the ruins of Dragonspear Castle..."

New Class, The Shaman

SHAMAN: Shamans forge a divine connection with the natural world, similar to the way Druids commune with nature, but Shamans are more spiritual than primal. They directly tap into the energies that flow through the earth and air, through plants and animals, and even through the dead, and shape these energies to obey their will. Nowhere is this more evident than in their ability to summon powerful spirits as guardians and defenders. A being of two worlds, Shamans value balance over dominance.

• Cast druid spells, but have a few of their own
  • Have limited armor/weapon proficiencies
  • Get druid spells similar in method to a sorceror, they choose from a list
  • Do not receive a stronghold in BG2 =(
  • New character, M’Khiin Grubdoubler, comes as a Shaman

New Characters:

glint.jpg
mkhiin.jpg
voghiln.jpg
schael.jpg

New Areas:

mEjD2ZB.jpg

Uj30KHe.jpg

New HUD!

jF8LHGc.jpg

ngabepE.jpg

General Info:
  • Available today, March 31st for PC/MAC, Android and iOS in the future
  • Requires Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition, no stand-alone
  • However, you don't have to play through BG again to play it, you can start from the beginning of the xpac with a new party
  • Raises the XP cap from 161,000 to 500,000
  • Siege of Dragonspear characters can be imported to Baldur's Gate 2. BG2 will receive some updates with SoD characters to make it a bit tougher
  • Several returning characters with original voice actors, such as Minsc, Boo, Edwin, Jaheira, Khalid..
  • If you don't like the HUD it can apparently be modded, so don't worry I'm sure someone will 'fix' it soon. Also, on steam you can roll back your version to 1.3 that lacks the changes
  • Mod support is available but it is unclear what will work with SoD and what will not
  • Adds achievements

A thread by AWizardDidIt with some helpful hints and tips to getting into the Baldur's Gate series! More applicable for people without any knowledge of the rules of D&D and more focused on BG1 but definitely should be helpful.

Buy it here: $19.99
Beamdog site
Steam store
GoG store

Same deal on GoG, but also has the other Enhanced Editions on sale as well!

Final note: Thanks to google for all the images and sorry if I took yours. In previous threads I didn't see anyone claiming to make this topic so I figured I'd do it, and make my 12 year old self incredibly proud. This is also my first OT so uh... be nice.

Altazor

this comes out today? Shit, time flies. I still remember making the thread about the countdown to the game's announcement.

Looks like this'll have to wait though - gotta buy BG1:EE first.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Wow, had no idea this was coming out so soon. I thought it was a good ways off. Definitely look forward to hearing impressions. EEs seemed to have worked out well enough and the new content didn't seem to offend or excite people, a whole new saga though is going to demand a lot more to work.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I totally forgot that this was today. I'll definitely pick it up, but won't be going through it for a bit.

Altazor

Very surprised they're not on sale actually. The EE's are solid now imo, rough launch but now they're pretty much the definitive version.

yeah, I remember people still recommending the original + mods (same with BG2) over the EEs. I assume that's not the case anymore, right?

Sarek

Live by the sword, live a good looong time!

Go for the eyes boo! GO FOR THE EYES!! RraaagghHHH!!

So excited! This is probably biggest release for me this year, along with P5 and Torment: Tides of Numenera. Apparently there are over 70 new areas, and 25+ hours of gameplay just in the main plot. Never would have believed if somene had told me few years ago that we would see a new Baldur's Gate game.

There is also going to be a launch countdown twitch stream today.

yeah, I remember people still recommending the original + mods (same with BG2) over the EEs. I assume that's not the case anymore, right?

Many of the mods have been ported over but if you want to do a Trilogy playthrough (or mods dependent on BGT) the original + mods is still the only way. If you're just looking for a vanilla experience though yeah the EE version are pretty much definitive at this point.

ETA - Also come on GOG release. If you're going to make me redownload ~3 Gigabytes of updated installers for this , let me get started soon.

They're doing a livestream of the game in about an hour (9:00am PST).

https://www.twitch.tv/beamdog

Beamdog's come a long way since first putting out their "enhanced edition" of BG. They've made a ton of changes to the UI of the game and their own quest content seem to have greatly improved over time. If you're at all on the fence about this one, check out the stream. They've been very forthcoming about showing off this new expansion and so far it looks great.

Also Jim Cummings is back as Minsc.
Jim Meskimen is back as Edwin (and Khalid)
David Warner is back as MYSTERIOUS FIGURE.

And others!

Many of the mods have been ported over but if you want to do a Trilogy playthrough (or mods dependent on BGT) the original + mods is still the only way. If you're just looking for a vanilla experience though yeah the EE version are pretty much definitive at this point.

I don't think there are any worthwhile mods for BG Trilogy that aren't also available on EE at this point. There are several new and upcoming mods that will only work with the EEs (Beamdog's made several updates to the infinity engine and some modders have had access to that stuff early and have been working on mods using it).

Yup. Every mod you'd ever want (even Ascension!) works with the EE, they're more stable on more kinds of modern systems, updated ui and features, native widescreen support, new characters 2 of which are legit good... They're the way to go now, imo

Curious about that new Shaman class. I guess they will be updating BG2 enhanced in the near future to allow Shaman in there as well? It would be weird if you can't, since you can import characters.

All of Dragonspear's updates are already in BG2ee as of now. The ui, achievements, new kits and class, all of it. They know people love to import characters and they didn't want to have them wait

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Curious about that new Shaman class. I guess they will be updating BG2 enhanced in the near future to allow Shaman in there as well? It would be weird if you can't, since you can import characters.

Sarek

I don't think there are any worthwhile mods for BG Trilogy that aren't also available on EE at this point. There are several new and upcoming mods that will only work with the EEs (Beamdog's made several updates to the infinity engine and some modders have had access to that stuff early and have been working on mods using it).

The people behind BGT are actually planning to release EET any day now. Beamdog gave them SoD beta access to allow them incorporate that in the mod too. So you will be able to combine BG+SoD+BG2+ToB into one massive game.

BG1+2 will be patched to 2.0 today which will bring the shaman class to both games.

Altazor

Dang. I gotta finish Pillars of Eternity and then Baldurs Gate 1 and 2...

Probably won't play this for a while.

yeah, me too. Still on White March Part 1... long ways to go, yet ;)

ETA - Also come on GOG release. If you're going to make me redownload ~3 Gigabytes of updated installers for this , let me get started soon.

Yup. Every mod you'd ever want (even Ascension!) works with the EE, they're more stable on more kinds of modern systems, updated ui and features, native widescreen support, new characters 2 of which are legit good... They're the way to go now, imo

thanks for your replies! I played BG2 original+mods a while ago but stopped playing after formatting my PC and reinstalling windows. I was starting chapter 3 (after spending a shitload of time on chapter 2, what a blast!) and was having fun, so it definitely wasn't 'cause of getting bored with it. It just happened.

Someday I'll finish it. I have to.

Yeah. I don't disagree with this. I would really like to see the Trilogy capability to go from start to finish all in one game though but I'm not expecting anyone to try it until all the EE stuff is officially done since it'd be necessarily brittle.

The people behind BGT are actually planning to release EET any day now. Beamdog gave them SoD beta access to allow them incorporate that in the mod too. So you will be able to combine BG+SoD+BG2+ToB into one massive game.

Hadn't heard about this but that's freaking awesome.

(Now I'm just hoping for a Planescape:Torment EE . Probably in vain given how different its engine was , and how it was super buggy even by Infinity Engine standards)

Yup! I'm actually working on that mod in some capacity :)

And they're working on throwing IWD1 in there for the hell of it too.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
BG1+2 will be patched to 2.0 today which will bring the shaman class to both games.

All of Dragonspear's updates are already in BG2ee as of now. The ui, achievements, new kits and class, all of it. They know people love to import characters and they didn't want to have them wait

That's dope!

sueil

You must gather your party before venturing forth.

I'm playing through BG1 again with the canon party so probably won't start SOD content today. Looking forward to this though.

Pilgrimzero

You must gather your party before venturing forth.

I'm playing through BG1 again with the canon party so probably won't start SOD content today. Looking forward to this though.

What's considers the canon party?

Main PC as a fighter. Imoen. Minsc. And?

embalm

Ok so wait... This is an expansion between BG1 and BG2? I'm down for this. I hope it's good.

I hope they do Dragon Spear the justice it deserves, it's an iconic location in the Realms.

Dsyndrome

Curious if the BG 2.0 update will break the Unfinished Business Mod I have installed, don't expect it to but stuff happens.

What's considers the canon party?

Main PC as a fighter. Imoen. Minsc. And?

Jaheera, Khalid, and Dynahare, I think. Half of those characters were pretty bad in BG1, though. You can put together a much better party if you cut Dynahare and Khalid.

Yup! I'm actually working on that mod in some capacity :)

And they're working on throwing IWD1 in there for the hell of it too.

We're going to be able to play IWD1 with Baldur's Gate characters? That would be awesome.

LordCiego

Was waiting for this to play it from the first to ToB from start to finish, didnt know it was going to get released today!

Are we expecting a sale of the EEs for this release?

Curious if the BG 2.0 update will break the Unfinished Business Mod I have installed, don't expect it to but stuff happens.

Updates break all mods but as long as you reinstall the mods before you try loading the game you're probably fine (Beamdog is pretty good about giving modders Beta access so they can update their mods in advance if its necessary).

The updates just overwrite files which is why they break mods (it's probably for the best though since there's now way updates could compensate for arbitrary mods).

Violet_0

Banned
will wait for impressions first

gotta say the shaman class is pretty boring, they just modified already existing assets to create a new class e: oh, okay they get a few unique spells it seems

Terra_Ex

Finished my BG:EE playthrough a few days ago so I'm ready for this. Hoping it'll be great, I'm pretty excited.

If BG can run on phones, I'd love to see it on the Vita. I will have to get this for iPad - looks great. Beamdog have a bright future with Gaider now.

Top Bottom