• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bands copying each other |OT| Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Kacho

Have you ever been listening to an album and sworn you’ve heard a riff somewhere before? I’m in the process of learning random bands music for funzies and came across some striking similarities. The almost 1:1 nature is blowing my mind. Post them if you got ‘em because I know there’s loads more.

OG

Copy

OG

Copy

Last edited:
Show me rdj version
Show me Coldplay's Radiohead.

Idioteque's not a direct ripoff--more of a similar vibe. It reminds me of the beat of something like this:

And the emotion of this:

Thom Yorke: "He burns a heavy shadow. Aphex opened up another world that didn’t involve my fucking electric guitar, and I was just so jealous of that whole crew. They were off on their own planet. I hated all the music that was around Radiohead at the time, it was completely fucking meaningless. I hated the Britpop thing and what was happening in America, but Aphex was totally beautiful, and he’s kind of my age too. He’s a massive influence.”

TheMan

air that I breathe by the hollies

Creep radiohead

Get free Lana del rey

Each band sued the next over copying the melody

Three girl rumba by Wire

Connection by elastica

Pretty sure wire sued elastica as well.

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Show me Coldplay's Radiohead.

Idioteque's not a direct ripoff--more of a similar vibe. It reminds me of the beat of something like this:

And the emotion of this:

Thom Yorke: "He burns a heavy shadow. Aphex opened up another world that didn’t involve my fucking electric guitar, and I was just so jealous of that whole crew. They were off on their own planet. I hated all the music that was around Radiohead at the time, it was completely fucking meaningless. I hated the Britpop thing and what was happening in America, but Aphex was totally beautiful, and he’s kind of my age too. He’s a massive influence.”

Again the Radiohead/Coldplay things was meme before memes existed. I bought their first 2 albums.

And thanks, didn't knew that. My interest in de creators behind the media i consume is almost non existant

Again the Radiohead/Coldplay things was meme before memes existed. I bought their first 2 albums.

And thanks, didn't knew that. My interest in de creators behind the media i consume is almost non existant
Coldplay started out as poppier-Radiohead for sure. Radiohead's stuff seems to have more feeling and depth, but less immediate appeal. I find Thom Yorke's melodies and singing a bit too meandering for my tastes. Radiohead's instrumentals are uniformly excellent, though. Kid A is my favorite album of theirs, with Idioteque being my favorite Radiohead song.

Too bad Coldplay seemed to go up their own keisters by their third album or so. But Parachutes and A Rush of Blood to the Head? Those came out when I was in high school, so I've got lots of good memories tied to them.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Coldplay started out as poppier-Radiohead for sure. Radiohead's stuff seems to have more feeling and depth, but less immediate appeal.

To be completely honest, i was a teen having the feeling of superior taste.

Typical teenage stuff (i hope).

I was listening to Radiohead, Pink Floyd, Aphex Twin, Inflected Mushroom and Dr. Octagon.

You get the picture.

Not proud of that mindset back then but it is what it is.

I find Thom Yorke's melodies and singing a bit too meandering for my tastes.

Yeah i love that 😅

Radiohead's instrumentals are uniformly excellent, though. Kid A is my favorite album of theirs, with Idioteque being my favorite Radiohead song.

Last edited:

Loke

Illwill - Whether with or Without (1998)

Meshuggah - Bleed (2008)

Not really a ripoff just a similar kick drum/guitar pattern at parts. Still pretty cool.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Just want to trhow this album in this thread. No grunge, noise rock, Pixies, Sonic Youth etc without this. Scary how much it also sounds like early Nirvana at times.

Tams

Coldplay wannabe Radiohead
Not sure why you'd wanna be Radiohead. Almost all of their songs are snoozefests and sound like random noise.

At least Coldplay have some liveliness to their songs and don't mumble everything.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Not sure why you'd wanna be Radiohead. Almost all of their songs are snoozefests and sound like random noise.

At least Coldplay have some liveliness to their songs and don't mumble everything.

"I heard Creep once"

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I once had the (mis)fortune of having to sit in a tent and listen to Radiohead for almost an entire night. Thankfully the person inflicting that upon us also liked Dragonforce, which was much better.

I'll recommend Imagine Dragons and walk away peacefully.

Top Bottom