• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bannon's remarkable admission: President Trump is easily duped

HotHamBoy

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...s-remarkable-admission-trump-is-easily-duped/

The information that President Trump sees has been a major subplot of the White House's internal drama. Aides often privately describe the president as highly susceptible to acting upon the last piece of information he's seen — no matter how dubious. And controlling that flow of information is a big part of new White House Chief of Staff John F. Kelly's effort to right the ship and keep the Oval Office on-task.

But rarely do you see someone close to the president just come out and admit how unsophisticated he is as a consumer of information.

That's what Stephen K. Bannon did Monday night, though not quite in so many words. While chatting with Fox News's Sean Hannity, the former White House chief strategist suggested that Trump was essentially duped into supporting appointed Sen. Luther Strange (R-Ala.) in Tuesday's Alabama special-election runoff. And it wasn't really all that subtle.

Bannon, who along with Breitbart and some other Trump stalwarts, has endorsed former state Supreme Court justice Roy Moore against Strange, told Hannity that there needs to be a "real … review" of how Trump came to the decision to endorse Strange.

"They tried to destroy Donald Trump; the same gang that is going after Roy Moore is the same gang that went after Donald Trump," Bannon said. "And I have to tell you, I think at some time later after [Tuesday], a real, you know, review has to be done of how President Trump got the wrong information and came down on the wrong side of the football here."

Bannon's reasons for saying this are pretty apparent. Among them:

1. He is signaling to potential Moore supporters that Strange really isn't Trump's kind of candidate and that they should feel good about voting for Moore.

2. He is trying to give Trump an out after the special election — which Moore is favored to win — by suggesting that Moore was really the more Trumpian candidate all along.

3. He is perhaps settling old White House scores by arguing that those around Trump don't have his interests at heart. (Bannon was one of those sources of information Kelly has sought to clamp down on.)

But making that argument — that Trump was duped — also means arguing that he is capable of being duped, and apparently rather easily in this case. Inherent in Bannon's argument is the idea that Trump either isn't discerning enough to make that endorsement decision for himself, or at least that he doesn't do enough homework.

Shocking.

RRockman

Banned
26a420cfbaf5460f_image.png.xxxlarge.jpg

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Now I REALLY want to see what would happen if someone crafted a better quality CGI film (better than the crap NK itself puts out I mean) of a US carrier being hit by a North Korean missile and managed to slip it past Kelly so that Trump saw it at 3AM.

Now I REALLY want to see what would happen if someone crafted a better quality CGI film (better than the crap NK itself puts out I mean) of a US carrier being hit by a North Korean missile and managed to slip it past Kelly so that Trump saw it at 3AM.

You know, I kinda don't.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
John Oliver did an amazing bit about this several months ago.

No, you don't. You think you do, but if you enjoy not being in WW3 then you don't wanna see it.

Dunno why any of his political adversaries go against him. Just write him a beautiful letter and tell him how hot Ivanka is and he will do anything for you.

It's extremely odd to me that Trump is taking such a vested interest in that Alabama race to begin with considering it's two republicans that are both more or less on his side running against each other. It shouldn't matter who wins. Feels like he's doing it because he owes Strange a favor to me. Or someone else in his ear does.

Lunar15

Seriously, just spam his twitter with stuff that says things like "Obama wanted to SHUT DOWN Obamacare!" and "Obama thinks that the police system needs no major reform!"

I'm at the point where I really think this will work.

He's no different from the average American that was conditioned by Fox News and rightwing talk radio to be a dupe, nothing more than a vessel for whichever rightwing source is the latest to fill his head with bullshit. One of those dupes became president.

mnannola

I love this is supposed to be a defense of Trump. "No of course he wouldn't really support that guy, he is just supporting him because he is gullible!"

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
If GAF pools their money, do you think we could get ad time on Fox & Friends and basically influence the direction of the US? I'm in for a fiver.

Mahonay

Banned
Lol Trump being incredibly easy to influence and deceive is something we learned in the first month of his presidency. It was like one of the first things leaked about his administration. All those fake news stories being slipped to him by interns early on.

It's extremely odd to me that Trump is taking such a vested interest in that Alabama race to begin with considering it's two republicans that are both more or less on his side running against each other. It shouldn't matter who wins. Feels like he's doing it because he owes Strange a favor to me. Or someone else in his ear does.
It gives him an excuse to hold his rallies. He's addicted to campaigning.

The whole Alabama situation in general is stupid and weird.

The local news were stating statistics this morning and said something like
in Alabama 82% of eligible voters don't vote at any level.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I wish someone would dupe his ass into uninstalling twitter from his phone then.

While this is 100% believable... Let's also question the motives of this source. Bannon supports Roy Moore for Alabama senate seat over Luther Strange. Breitbart supports Moore over Strange. The alt-right supports Moore over Strange. Trump, though, supported Strange over Moore, in a surprising endorsement a few months ago.

Bannon is trying to downplay why Trump endorsed a candidate that his company and cadre did not endorse, while undermining the people in the Trump admin who successfully got Trump to back the more mainstream Republican primary candidate.

In other words, it's true, but we should all know what game Bannon is playing and we don't need to play it for him.

Top Bottom