• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Shadow Announced (VR)

Draugoth

Gold Member
GMf6U-tWEAAiByG

The next game in the Batman: Arkham franchise has been announced for VR.

Batman: Arkham Shadow, developed by Camouflaj and Oculus Studios, will be revealed in full this June. It will be released in late 2024 exclusively for Meta Quest 3.

“Evil stalks the streets. Gotham City is in danger. And you’re the only one who can save it,”

reads an official description.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
By the same developer who made Iron Man VR, a critically acclaimed VR title

Hope this is a full fledged Batman Arkham VR title unlike Batman Arkham VR

CamHostage

Finally A Quest game that I wont have to wait for over a year for a Quest 3 'enhancement'

Yep, this and the new Alien VR game only run on Quest 3. (Alien uses UE5, it'll be interesting to see how that juices Quest since new UE updates have some level of support for Lumen and Nanite, among other features.)

Kind of sad for those who paid $1000-1500 for a "Quest Pro", but otherwise the Quest 2 line had a nice run and hopefully users were satisfied by it enough to upgrade.

Romulus

Assassins Creed gives me hope they can pull off a decent looking open or semi open world. That one surprised me

Last edited:

Wonko_C

So sad to see the VR hate is still prevalent in 2024. We have been consistently getting enough QUALITY GAMES so the excuse of "There is no gamez" isn't valid anymore. What will it take for people to give VR gaming a chance of it being part of a healthy gaming diet? What else do you want!?

Last edited:

Romulus

So sad to see the VR hate is still prevailing in 2024. We have been consistently getting enough QUALITY GAMES so the excuse of "There is no gamez" isn't valid anymore, so what will it take for people to give VR gaming a chance of it being part of a healthy gaming diet? What else do you want!?

It's like they forget which narrative of hate is even relevant in 2024. "VR haz no games...wait, game franchise is dumb because it's only in VR!"

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Didn't Harley Quinn cap this chump?
In Fortnite? maybe yeah I think she did.

I’m still not impressed by their DC output. It started off great with games like Injustice and Arkham, but it hasn’t been good in years. I wonder how the WB thinks this VR project will help make them more money? Their output sucks.

Wanting to own a VR headset. I can think of other things I’d rather spend money on at the moment.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
So sad to see the VR hate is still prevailing in 2024. We have been consistently getting enough QUALITY GAMES so the excuse of "There is no gamez" isn't valid anymore, so what will it take for people to give VR gaming a chance of it being part of a healthy gaming diet? What else do you want!?
Idiots gotta keep moving them goalposts.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Quest is the biggest VR userbase by far. And you can use it with PC also. Just get that and you have everything except 3 VR games (GT7, Horizon, RE), none of which Sony put on PC either.

Not owning multiple VR devices.

I think Sony should release their VR games on PC as well

The market is too small and niche to be this fragmented

Not owning multiple VR devices.

I think Sony should release their VR games on PC as well

The market is too small and niche to be this fragmented
Yeah, I can see that argument for sure. Or maybe Quest just crushes PSVR because its not selling that well anyway and becomes the only real mainstream VR device. Not sure PSVR userbase is even big enough to justify the port. Maybe if Sony pays them for it.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I consider this fantastic news for several reasons:
  • Oculus Studios usually makes high-quality, full games that showcase the VR medium (Lone Echo series, Asgard's Wrath 2, etc)
  • Quest 3 exclusive means it won't be gimped in graphics for Q2 compat
  • trailer at least suggests that it will be focused on gritty city atmosphere and solitude rather than corny band-of-heroes shit that recently invaded the franchise, so I'm hopeful

CamHostage

Quest 2 user base is humongous compared to Quest 3.

Absolutely stupid move.

User bases do not promise sustained sales of software; lots of hardware gets shelved or neglected over time, or users find the games/apps they like early on and stick with them over buying new choices. New generations of hardware ignite new interest in the product line (ideally...) and it is important to get new products to that audience at a time when they are most interested in using their new hardware. It's the reason why there are often brand new franchises launched at the start of most console gens, whereas by the fifth year of the platform, even if the system is massively successful, you mostly see sequels. Attach rate stops increasing over time.

Quest 3 has got to make its move sometime. (This is especially so if UE5 features lead to new levels of VR dazzle but its hardware requirements leave Quest 2 behind.) And Quest 2 users still have their trusty game of Beat Saber

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Yeah, I can see that argument for sure. Or maybe Quest just crushes PSVR because its not selling that well anyway and becomes the only real mainstream VR device. Not sure PSVR userbase is even big enough to justify the port. Maybe if Sony pays them for it.

Quest isn’t a substitute for high end VR, it’s selling better due to price and being standalone

Even if it’s crushing PSVR, it’s not exactly thriving itself

PSVR will get third party ports because it’s relatively cheap and easy to do so. This is just a moneyhat

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Speaking of other Oculus Studios-branded titles, who here has played Lone Echo? I feel that it is sorely underrepresented in discussions of great AI sellers. I haven't played the sequel, but the first game is still one of the most immersive and meaty VR stories you can experience on any platform (unfortunately, you'll need a PC running the Oculus store).

Top Bottom