• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 2's flaws.

Ferrio

Banned
-The server list is the worse thing ever. It's slow, half the time it doesn't work right (Search for a server name, it'll say it found it... won't display it). Oh and you can't flag favorite servers... they're really trying to give you incentive to download gamespy.

-Config control screen is horrid, I hate that "Key already bound", well fucking unbind it for me asshole.. I don't care if another key is bound that way. I was hoping they'd get a clue from the previous two games that this wasn't a good scheme... but they keep it and make it more annoying by actually giving you a popup box.

etiolate

Banned
The obvious:
resource hog engine without fluidness

And is there a History option for the server list? That would be nice.

lexi

Banned
My complaints are becoming typical for a Battlefield release which will take 5 patch releases until they address issues or not even address them at all (BFV).

I'm going to play UT2004 Onslaught in protest.

Ferrio

Banned
lockii said:
My complaints are becoming typical for a Battlefield release which will take 5 patch releases until they address issues or not even address them at all (BFV).

I'm going to play UT2004 Onslaught in protest.

That's what I"m afraid of. My main reason I went on my "DICE SUCKS", and swore off battlefield... but here I am again.

Borys

Banned
Ferrio said:
That's what I"m afraid of. My main reason I went on my "DICE SUCKS", and swore off battlefield... but here I am again.

Ahh... you know you love it.

specops5sr.jpg

Spec-Ops 4 Life!

etiolate

Banned
There should be a factor where if you get put up for being kicked like 4 times in a row, but half the people playing are too dumb to figure out whats going on.. that eventually you need like just 3 votes to get kicked off the island.

Rorschach

DrForester said:
my bgigest complaint so far is that the planes handle like total garbage.
Learn to fly. Some people are excellent with the choppers and jets. I've seen some amazing pilots that singlehandedly turn the tide of the conflict.

I'm not the best, but I can hold my own. It just takes some getting used to.

Ferrio said:
Oh and you can't flag favorite servers... they're really trying to give you incentive to download gamespy.
This I hate too. I have to search for my favs every time or write down the IP. I guess I'll have to go back to GS. :\

[edit] I was thinking of starting a Learn to Fly (TM) thread, but I dunno how many people would find it useful. I did find it dumb that they didn't include it in the single player so people new to the game could try it out without pissing off others. You can practice on empty servers, though. You can get a good feel of what works.

Ferrio said:
Config control screen is horrid
I mighta agreed with you a few years back, but now I'm on the complete other side.

I've got a Nostromo N52 and a Razer mouse and I simply program their software to use the game defaults. So it was pleasant to see a control config without a lot of superflurous keys. They could have had extra keys for vehicle specific actions or a different key for every counter measure, but I think they did all right.

And I do realize that it cost me eighty extra dollars to ditch the default mouse+keyboard and gain this perspective, but is anybody surprised?

Ferrio

Banned
My flight stick broke down awhile back, need to pick me up a new one. Not only does it help flying, but it makes it so much more entertaining.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ferrio said:
-The server list is the worse thing ever. It's slow, half the time it doesn't work right (Search for a server name, it'll say it found it... won't display it). Oh and you can't flag favorite servers... they're really trying to give you incentive to download gamespy.

agree. Hopefully this will improve for retail release or at least a quick patch.

-Config control screen is horrid, I hate that "Key already bound", well fucking unbind it for me asshole.. I don't care if another key is bound that way. I was hoping they'd get a clue from the previous two games that this wasn't a good scheme... but they keep it and make it more annoying by actually giving you a popup box.

bloody hell yes. Sorry, that key is already bound to the birthday party invitations controls. Aaargh. Half the time I'm just searching for ONE spare key to let me swap two other around .A simple list of 'free' keys would be very helpful.

pjberri

Crotchety Old Man
Accidental teamkilling. I've seen people land the Super Cobra to pick someone up, but have the person jump towards them and then he pilo ha a teamkill to their name. The same thing happened to me at the start of a round when I was taking off and I got booted from the server. I don't know why this is happening, they patched 1942 so the pilot doesn't get a teamkill but now they've taken a couple of steps backwards. Rude.

Ferrio

Banned
bloody hell yes. Sorry, that key is already bound to the birthday party invitations controls. Aaargh. Half the time I'm just searching for ONE spare key to let me swap two other around .A simple list of 'free' keys would be very helpful.

If you hit ESC it will unbind the button. I quickly got into the habit of unbinding every goddamn key on each screen before binding.

Chrono

Banned
Just downloaded the demo for this game because of the hype... I still need to get used to keyboard/mouse but so far it's a very nice game. @_@ I suck at it though. I died 10 times on single player, easy setting. :|

Kinda weird seeing middle eastern vs. u.s. armies, with the war in iraq and all that. tbh it's a little disturbing playing it because of that...

So is this game popular mostly for the multiplayer? It doesn't take much to win a round. Most of the work is done by the AI..

The best thing about it is that I'm always at my PC and starting a game is simply a click away. I'll probably put more hours into this than 6 months of console gaming. :'(

Yusaku

Chrono said:
So is this game popular mostly for the multiplayer?(

I doubt most people even realize there's any single player option in BF. Although with the commander mode the single player is almost like an RTS.

Borys

Banned
Chrono said:
Just downloaded the demo for this game because of the hype... I still need to get used to keyboard/mouse but so far it's a very nice game. @_@ I suck at it though. I died 10 times on single player, easy setting. :|

Kinda weird seeing middle eastern vs. u.s. armies, with the war in iraq and all that. tbh it's a little disturbing playing it because of that...

So is this game popular mostly for the multiplayer? It doesn't take much to win a round. Most of the work is done by the AI..

The best thing about it is that I'm always at my PC and starting a game is simply a click away. I'll probably put more hours into this than 6 months of console gaming. :'(

SP isn't really a SP it's just MP with bots. Think of BF2 like Halo 2^10 without the whole SP portion. I think even Unreal Tournament 200X has a better "SP" mode.

You don't buy this game if you won't play it online.

pestul

The problems list for this demo is miniscule compared to those with BF1942/BFV when they were first released. Sure there are things to fix, but they've come along way imo. I can't pass on this game because I know that where Dice fails, the mod community will be picking up the slack. Truely thriving online community for the BF franchise.

You should be given more amo, or have an amo recharge room in your base/s.
CoD multiplayer is a lot more fun than this.
The slow server list sucks too, although i've noticed it only gets slow/freezes on servers that show 0 ping time so i just scroll half way until there are no 0 ping servers.

etiolate

Banned
Need to differentiate the sides more. Everyone has the same camo and you have to wait for a blue symbol or name to pop up over somebody to know if you're supposed to shoot or not. I was up on a roof, there was a sniper right there and I kept aiming at hima few times and no blue name so I shot away. Boom, get credited with a teamkill.

Rorschach

etiolate said:
Need to differentiate the sides more. Everyone has the same camo and you have to wait for a blue symbol or name to pop up over somebody to know if you're supposed to shoot or not. I was up on a roof, there was a sniper right there and I kept aiming at hima few times and no blue name so I shot away. Boom, get credited with a teamkill.
Uhm...the uniforms, skin color, and faces are completely different. The only ones that look kinda the same are snipers and even then you should be able to tell the difference. Also, people gotta learn not to be too trigger happy. :p

Deg

Banned
etiolate said:

I agree you keep looking nothing pops up so you dont know who it is. Ontop of that some characters dont look different other than the face. Need to fix that. I play on medium.

Daigoro

Rorschach said:
If all I mentioned fails, please look at your radar. Blue dots = friendly. Red dots = bad guys.

of course if no UAV was deployed and the enemy hasnt been spotted, there wont be any red dots.

the uniforms are very similar dessert cammo style, and it is easy to mistake them in the heat of battle. but if you take a moment (i know sometimes you dont have one) and look before you fire, you can see the difference.

i think its like that on purpose.

i have seen the blue team names swapped with red names on some servers though. that sucks.

Rorschach

Daigoro said:
of course if no UAV was deployed and the enemy hasnt been spotted, there wont be any red dots.
Right...and if there are no blue dots, then fire away. No blue dots means no allies.

SKluck

Banned
It wouldn't kill them to just have the blue dot over every friendly. It's already there, just not all the time, which is stupid and doesn't make sense. Maybe its to make you guess, but when it shows up AFTER you take a few shots at them.. wtf is the point.

Ferrio

Banned
SKluck said:
It wouldn't kill them to just have the blue dot over every friendly. It's already there, just not all the time, which is stupid and doesn't make sense. Maybe its to make you guess, but when it shows up AFTER you take a few shots at them.. wtf is the point.

I'm glad they did that, it was too easy to spot the enemies the previous game. It shouldn't matter you should be with your squad always, and atleast have an idea where the other squads are.

Borys

Banned
pjberri said:
US has a lighter uniform, it's not rocket science, dudes.

Yeah I mean WTF? people are expecting this to have skins like Quake 3 Arena?

Play on the highest settings and see for yourself that those muslim soldiers look different than marines.

It's a large battlefield, sometimes you won't be sure if this guy on the roof sniping at you is your or enemy (especially if the sun is right behind him - in real-life he would be black as tar, no way to tell is he MEC or USMC).

Realism people.

My biggest complaint is spawn kills...It bugs the heck out of me when I spawn in a base, and get instantly hit with a artillery shell, or shot by a tank, or even another player.

pestul

Sholmes said:
Sometimes the game just freezes at the server list, and forces me to restart my PC.
Ctrl+Alt+Delete gets me out of that one.. funny, cause that usually doesn't work anymore.

Slo

I will buy any game who's demo is run thru the GAF gauntlet and the worst complaint is "meh, the server list is kinda slow".

Deg

Banned
Yeah the server list is terrible but the game is too good to even think about not buying this or preodering it. :lol

I would prefer if it at least had CS:S style list.

The game just doesn't look that great. The engine is horrible.

On medium settings it looks significantly worse than UT2K4, and runs at about half the speed.

I don't expect much from Dice anymore anyhow.

Zer0

Banned
NO FUCKING RADIO ON VEHICLES

by the way.the engine is awesome.looks superb and runs ok on normal pcs

Apenheul

The download of the demo was so slow I had to cancel it because I needed to reboot my computer. Before I try again can anyone tell me if it'll run okay on a p4 3.2ghz and Radeon 9600xt?

Aurora

I was testing out the demo and it really doesn't forgive beginners.
I mean I am doing really good, like 4 kills in a row, then suddenly I get killed from behind. I then get spawned in the middle of a tank war over and over again resulting in 5 or so instant deaths... wtf.
Why don't they let you spawn within a certain distance from the enemy; otherwise you can be extremely unlucky.

And I also hate that shit when you are 'shellshocked' or whatever that is supposed to be.
I mean yea it's cool and all but when you end up constantly having to play with that shit it gets annoying fast.

Meh, probably because I am a noob at the game though.

EDIT: Apenheul, yes it will run fine. My PC is slightly below your specs and I haven't experienced any lag.

Deg

Banned
Counterstrike is much worse for newbies. :lol I got straight into BF2. Sure i am still ahit pilot but at least i dont crash and i am an assest to my squad or team ussualy.

Wish I could find an online manual somewhere to explain the less obvious stuff.

Does the voice work only within your squad? Can you talk to a firendly not in your squad if your want to?

Main Radio is a list of voice macros, but what is the Secondary Radio and Com Channel?

Edit: Ah, that's commander only stuff.
Well, do you have to actually be at a location to call down artillary on it?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Aurora said:
I was testing out the demo and it really doesn't forgive beginners.
I mean I am doing really good, like 4 kills in a row, then suddenly I get killed from behind. I then get spawned in the middle of a tank war over and over again resulting in 5 or so instant deaths... wtf.
Why don't they let you spawn within a certain distance from the enemy; otherwise you can be extremely unlucky.

And I also hate that shit when you are 'shellshocked' or whatever that is supposed to be.
I mean yea it's cool and all but when you end up constantly having to play with that shit it gets annoying fast.

Meh, probably because I am a noob at the game though.

EDIT: Apenheul, yes it will run fine. My PC is slightly below your specs and I haven't experienced any lag.

If your too dumb to change your spawn point after being spawn killed 5 times in a row, just stop playing games.

Schafer said:
If your too dumb to change your spawn point after being spawn killed 5 times in a row, just stop playing games.
But if you are vaporized, and are beyond a medic, doesn't the game prevent you from picking a spawn point while you wait to respawn?

So if you could die before you can pick a point, and then not be able to pick a point while you are in super-death respawn time.

Ferrio

Banned
ArcadeStickMonk said:
But if you are vaporized, and are beyond a medic, doesn't the game prevent you from picking a spawn point while you wait to respawn?

Uh no.

Well, do you have to actually be at a location to call down artillary on it?

No, command can place it whereever he wants. Commander can see anything on the map (zoom in, watch enemy fight, flag them on the radar for other players0

Top Bottom