• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Immortals of Aveum | Review Thread

Apocryphon

No. You don't understand. I would get the moderator warning, for insulting someone like you, who takes time out of their day to shit on a game they haven't played based off a 2 min youtube promotional clip.

Do those people shitting on games you like, you know, maybe have played them? Idk man I don't need a moderator warning, so i'll try to word it nice and leave it at youre a very very very weird person for trying to shit on a game you haven't played.
I mean.. bru’s right about that writing. It is horrendously bad.

Critiquing promotional material intended to sell the public on the product is fine btw, and the gaje doesn’t appear to be great…

Zheph

I wouldn't recommend it to be honest. Not sure i'll bother finishing it. I hate to speak ill of other peoples hard work but to me this game is rather boring and ugly. Maybe it's not just for me 🤔
Appreciate that mentality bro I wish more people would do the same
Too bad you are not enjoying it

Ywap

There are some fun to be had and i always appreciate exploration in games. I wonder how this game would have turned out with another engine (Quality stuff from Ubisoft like Dunia, Snowdrop or Anvil for example) :pie_thinking:

Unreal seems very hard to get a good result from. Even experienced teams like Respawn have trouble getting it to run smooth...

Last edited:

Macaron

Banned
I mean.. bru’s right about that writing. It is horrendously bad.

Critiquing promotional material intended to sell the public on the product is fine btw, and the gaje doesn’t appear to be great…
Idk. I like to actually try something before sharing an opinion. Kind of weirdo behavior to me to take to the internet, go in threads of games you haven't even tried, and say things like "game doesn't appear to be great".

Ywap

To reduce the blurry graphics i´m using the nvidia sharpening filter at 30%, FSR2 Quality instead of DLSS since is causes TAA type of blur during movement. And also Post Processing on low in the graphics meny.

The graphics reminds me alot of Darksiders:

26K6kcP.jpg
luqiQxS.jpg

If someone plans to play it i would suggest going gamepad since the combat have been very easy so far on the hardest difficulty with keyboard + mouse.

Last edited:

Ywap

This screenshot looks like Skyrim, or similar 10 year old fantasy game...not brand-new UE5 tech. This is with all the bells 'n whistles on?

Yeah, except for post processing since it causes more blur.

And you have the usual UE problems with texture, shadows and vegetation pop-ins.

Last edited:
I dunno how reliable these YouTubers are but I've watched a few early analysis videos and sounds like sub 1080p (down to 800p) on PS5 and XSX with PS5 averaging a bit higher.

Both dropping frames into the 40s but PS5 is worse. Like with Jedi Survivor the "holds 60 fine on console" reviewers can't tell their arse from their elbow without MSI Afterburner running.

Ywap

Ah gotcha. The subsequent shots you posted definitely look better. Still think I'll wait for the $15 mark on this one.
Not a bad idea! I went with an EA pro month but i´m still happy since i also get to play the masterpiece Dead Space Remake 🥳

Last edited:

Apocryphon

Idk. I like to actually try something before sharing an opinion. Kind of weirdo behavior to me to take to the internet, go in threads of games you haven't even tried, and say things like "game doesn't appear to be great".
You know stuff like Metacritic, Opencritic, Steam’s user rating score, and game reviews by trusted channels on YouTube exist to allow people to make informed decisions about what games to buy right!? The overwhelming consensus is that this game isn’t great. While they are subjective, the writing and art direction are on full display to everybody, even those that haven’t paid for he privilege to “try” the game.

I’m sure some people really enjoyed Atomic Heart too. Like that game, this appears to be polarizing and there are mixed opinions on its overall quality as a game.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Is this game a metroidvania plus an Hub light RPG elements etc or just a pure shooter?

Macaron

Banned
You know stuff like Metacritic, Opencritic, Steam’s user rating score, and game reviews by trusted channels on YouTube exist to allow people to make informed decisions about what games to buy right!? The overwhelming consensus is that this game isn’t great. While they are subjective, the writing and art direction are on full display to everybody, even those that haven’t paid for he privilege to “try” the game.

I’m sure some people really enjoyed Atomic Heart too. Like that game, this appears to be polarizing and there are mixed opinions on its overall quality as a game.
I'm not sure what reviews have to do with you and the other guy coming in this thread to shit on a game you haven't played based off a 2 min promo clip. Seems like you're just trying to justify yourself, and in a weird way where you are taking the opinions of people who have actually played the game and making them your own.

Last edited:

Apocryphon

I'm not sure what reviews have to do with you and the other guy coming in this thread to shit on a game you haven't played based off a 2 min promo clip. Seems like you're just trying to justify yourself, and in a weird way where you are taking the opinions of people who have actually played the game and making them your own.
I came in to read impressions and saw a post that I thought deserved to be defended. You did the opposite and came into this thread and responded to the same guy, saying you’d like to insult him but don’t want to get a “moderator warning” 😂 Unless I’m missing something, you have contributed less to the discussion than the guy you jumped on. At least he was talking about the games hammy writing and odd art direction…

But you’re right. I’d like to hear impressions from people who have actually played the game. Do you have any to give?

Ywap

I get fps Darksiders with easy combat vibes with lots of exploration and secrets. It´s like in God of War where you return to previous areas when you have new abilities to unlock new areas and secrets.

The Fov is a bit to narrow for desktop gameplay with keyboard and mouse. Go with gamepad for more challenging combat encounters (y)

Macaron

Banned
I came in to read impressions and saw a post that I thought deserved to be defended. You did the opposite and came into this thread and responded to the same guy, saying you’d like to insult him but don’t want to get a “moderator warning” 😂 Unless I’m missing something, you have contributed less to the discussion than the guy you jumped on. At least he was talking about the games hammy writing and odd art direction…

But you’re right. I’d like to hear impressions from people who have actually played the game. Do you have any to give?
No, he was talking about a 2 min promo clip, which is selective. Unless you're stupid enough to think you can judge the writing of an entire game off that. Kinda crazy you're STILL vehemently defending hating on a game you haven't played. And yes, I did not want to get a warning for pointing out how you have to be a miserable loser to choose to do so when you could always just, you know, discuss games you actually have played.

Anyways, enjoy white knighting for people like that.

Last edited:

Ywap

I´m closing in on the end now and have a more positive feeling about the game. There is LOTS of exploration and puzzles for those interested in such activities. The combat is fine but with too much effects going on. Hit feeling is really good too, as is voice acting and facial animations.

It would be interesting to see these guys doing a sequel with a Ubisoft engine (y)

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
This screenshot looks like Skyrim, or similar 10 year old fantasy game...not brand-new UE5 tech. This is with all the bells 'n whistles on?
Right, because a close up shot of some floorboards in an ass-crack part of of one of the levels is totally representative of the overall graphics in the game.

Are you, like, for real now? Or just trolling?

Ywap

To U n i o n 0015:s defence i do suspect alot of people will be dissapointed by the graphics. And the visuals/hardware demand ratio is VERY poor imo.

But that´s just my opinion, some people might think it looks great (y)

Ywap

I have this annoying thing where i can´t run sometimes. Is there something i have overlooked?

I saw on Reddit some other people had this problem too. Have anyone here experienced the same thing?

Edit: Just discovered that you have to hold the button a couple of milliseconds for the sprint to trigger.

Last edited:

Ywap

I just beat the game on the hardest difficulty with keyboard + mouse. It was fairly easy but i believe gamepad will give players a good challenge 👍

As i said earlier i left with a more positive feeling about it.

The positive imo:

- Voice acting and facial expressions

- Powerful feeling in the shooting, spell casting and shield break. This includes the sound effects. (Had a blue build)

- Huge amount of exploration, puzzles, secret bosses etc.

- Controls feel good

Negative:

- UE/The hardware demands for visuals provided

- Boring puzzles (for me atleast, others might enjoy it)

- A bit hard to see sometimes during combat but it works better than expected compared to when watching someone else play

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I tried this yesterday for 47 minutes on PC and refunded. Initially just ran it near max on dlss quality to see how good it looks even if it was 30fps.

I was baffled. There is trash looking textures, water , and character models out the whazoo in the first town. Like… if the game looked ridiculously good I’d be fine with the shit performance.

Then I tweaked it to try to maintain 60fps, but just at random times it would even at 1440p go from 80-90 fps and just dump into 47fps.

I actually dig the gameplay and initial story beats but there’s no way this deserves $60.

Gamepass or $10 steam sale I’ll try it again.

winjer

Gold Member
I tried the demo for about an hour, and it's as bad as people said it was. Maybe worse.
The game does have advanced tech, due to UE5. But it looks really bad. The art style is terrible and because of that, everything looks mediocre.
To make things much worse, there isn't even an option to disable crap like motion blur, chromatic aberration and film grain.
And the characters, although they have a lot of detail, they fall on the uncanny valley, so the result is terrible.
The story and characters are just plain generic fantasy. Very uninspired and talentless.
Unfortunately, there are a ton of cutscenes and dialogs. All of them bland and mediocre. Just a constant dump of exposition.
And to add insult to injury, there isn't an option to skip this crap.
Combat is also basic and generic. So there is little on offer here.
If it wasn't for games like Gollum and King Kong, this would probably be the worst game of the year.

Top Bottom