• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3: three themed expansion packs announced; 12 million copies

Jtrizzy

Definitely won't be supporting anything from this game till they fix the input lag on the PS3 version. It's not quite Killzone levels of bad, but BC2 blows it out of the water. Sucks because that's where all of bro's play, but it just isn't playable for me. I have it on pc as well, but I never see more than one or two at the most of my friends playing.

Also fuck flashlights, I wish they would be taken out all together.

Oh and by the way, I'd rather have "piece meal maps" 3 at a time over waiting till June for infantry only maps.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I think BF3 has some of the best CQC of any shooter I've ever played. I love, love, LOVE the gunplay. It's so fast and visceral, so I'm very excited for the new CQC DLC.

Day 1 on PC with all of them (I hope End Game is dinosaurs :) ) but I do think it would have been better if both packs were large with vehicles rather than close quarters.

I don't like the idea of themed maps. Just give me more well designed maps like the b2k pack and Caspian. This catering to different play styles is just going to fracture the community. And the close quarters pack is obviously being designed with console gamers in mind.

Woorloog

Banned
Wait, what? June? No way.
Oh, i can wait till June if the first expansion were Armored Kill. BF3 is shit at CQB, works better with mix of medium range and vehicle combat, has too many maps with infantry as focus already.
Skipping the infantry DLC unless it has cool weapons, but even then i'll buy it only after the second DLC.
Might end up skipping the other DLCs as well as Halo 4 comes fall-winter this year so... Scheluding stuff is not DICE's strong point...

Nizz

There's nothing broken about it. People exaggerate shit to no end sometimes.
Ahhh....

Frag Rounds, Flashlights. No alt routes on choke point maps (sup not being able to get to the back of Seine first set Rush). MAV elevators. Destruction minimal for getting/punching through said chokepoints. Input lag on PS3. No patches since launch other than LOL B2K and fixing a few things (and a "nerf" to flashlights that still aren't nerfed and are a "I WIN!" button in broad daylight!).

Community starts to bitch.

EA: Well, shit, time to announce those new maps instead of fixing the game DICE!

DICE: LOL 'KAY!

BF3 Community: OMG GAME IS BROKEN BUT NEW CONTENT! WE LOVE YOU DICE!

Me: SMH.

http://www.doesbf3stillhaveinputlag.com/

Frag rounds on Metro. Frag rounds on Bazaar. Frag rounds on Karkand. Frag rounds on Caspian (less annoying but still possible to annoy). Frag rounds being LAV rounds in the hands of infantry.

Flashlights. Flashlights. Flashlights.

Attackers and defenders both having DIFFERENT out of bounds routes (In an attempt to "balance" and give both sides a chance to flank but it's stupid as hell since people will sit in those and you have no way of getting to them, sup Canals Rush first set and attackers are over the "bridge" near defenders spawn.

AA mobile mows infantry down in seconds and needs to be nerfed into the ground.

BUT! Two engineers with repair tools are able to keep the helicopter up against it AND numerous AA rockets hitting them to where they're just as bad!
I see TheSeks has already answered that. Particularly the input lag on PS3.

first gameplay video of Battlefield 3 Close Quarters:

http://youtu.be/Neq7LFDJxNg?t=40s

... smh...

Whoever is playing the game is playing as if it's COD, just holding down the left click and spraying :/

Looks awesome tho! I seriously cannot wait till June! I hope if enough people bitch/demand they may push the release date forward :)

Lol: the dude who started speaking spooked me.

Don't just dismiss the map pack because of the player count. It's obvious DICE created these maps with 16 players in mind. I think this sort of gameplay is a little out of place in Battlefield, but I love what they're doing by trying to appease every type of FPSer :)

2-16 players. Ha.

Are all of the CQ maps 2-16 players? I figured it would be designed with the low console player count in mind, but the map in the video is so small that I cant see why any PC server would want to run it at all. You'd either have to boot 16 players when the map changes from say a 32 player rush match of Metro or you would have way too many players playing on a tiny box of a map.

June? CQ combat? WTF is going on? Have they completely lost it?

This map pack is an attempt to boost sales on consoles where the big conquest maps like b2k and Caspian are a ghost town even with their reduced size.

I know some people are enjoying BF3 on consoles, but really a BF with a 24 player count was just a dumb move. It just doesnt work and now they have to resort to these kinds of maps to fix the problem. They should have just cut whatever they had to cut destruction wise to get the player count up to a respectable level.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Maybe I've missed something but, why are people seemingly so upset at a june release date?

Too early? Too late?

Also lol 16 player maps. Yeah, you keep those to yourself.

A.R.K

Ahhh....

I see TheSeks has already answered that. Particularly the input lag on PS3.

Seriously wtf is this input lag thing in BF3? How come I have never experienced it on my PS3? Why does it happen on some PS3s and not others? Something to do with the kind of TVs? Just curious.

Maybe I've missed something but, why are people seemingly so upset at a june release date?

Too early? Too late?

way too late ... should have had something like now :/

Also these CQ maps sound more like COD :/ ... give me big fucking maps DICE

Too early? Too late?

Way too late. The first map pack released 2 months after the games release.. this next one is what? almost half a way since B2K?

Need new maps now.

I certainly hope all the maps aren't just indoors... I hope some are outside, taking place in a small section of a busy metropolitan city with alleys and streets, perhaps with the element of vertical element by using fire escapes to flank enemies above you.

but srsly: DICE, June?!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Maybe frag rounds and flashlights are worse on the consoles because I don't have much problem going against them except in Metro. My biggest bane is the M249.

Nizz

Seriously wtf is this input lag thing in BF3? How come I have never experienced it on my PS3? Why does it happen on some PS3s and not others? Something to do with the kind of TVs? Just curious.

way too late ... should have had something like now :/

Also these CQ maps sound more like COD :/ ... give me big fucking maps DICE
Pretty much this...

Back in the day, people would be totally ecstatic to see new content released for a game.

Now people just moan if it isn't on a weekly schedule.

Agreed since bigger games i HATE to mention it but like cod have a map back every month doesn't mean it should be like that for every game. Quality over quantity.

Man, the bitching about 16 player maps sucks. If they're good, and the new equipment they add for that pack works well for them, I think that's awesome. The rest of you can play Large Conquest only. I want to switch it up, and I don't want to have to buy CoD to get a game with a different pace. Fuck killstreaks.

Is it really so awful to have something a little different? They gave you BF2 maps already. Let's try something new.

The part you are missing is how these maps wont work at all for the PC. Most people are playing conquest or rush at 32 players. If the server switches over to these maps then half the players get kicked. Besides it's a BF game, it's gameplay is supposed to big a "big" experience. If you want great close quarters gunplay then you'd be playing counter strike which is vastly superior to both BF and COD.

I'm interested in the close quarters expansion, I played a bit more of BF3 on 360, and the shooting mechanics are a lot better than I remembered.

Infantry!

Man, the bitching about 16 player maps sucks. If they're good, and the new equipment they add for that pack works well for them, I think that's awesome. The rest of you can play Large Conquest only. I want to switch it up, and I don't want to have to buy CoD to get a game with a different pace. Fuck killstreaks.

Is it really so awful to have something a little different? They gave you BF2 maps already. Let's try something new.

Absolutely agree - if you don't want close quarters maps, then don't bother with them. I presume that aspects of the community do however.

Max

I am not Max
Agreed since bigger games i HATE to mention it but like cod have a map back every month doesn't mean it should be like that for every game. Quality over quantity.

Mentioning Call of Duty as the lesser side of quality over quantity in here is inadvisable, especially with a hyperbolic comment on its DLC release schedule

Biff

Considering my favourite map in all of BF3 right now (including B2K) is Grand Bazaar, I'm actually pretty excited for CQC only maps.

DICE, while not the best QA developer around, has a ton a ton of skill when it comes to map design. They are miles ahead of Infinity Ward in the respect.

Can't wait for BF2143. 2142 remains my favourite Battlefield ever... I weep at the thought of having it with Frostbite 2, let alone FB3 by the time it will be released.

JJD

Those infantry maps will have versions for more than 16 players, just like Metro.

And Dice wouldn't be crazy do not include Rush and Conquest variations on all of then, so they will be bigger than what was show on that video. Those guys are playing Deathmatch or Team Deathmatch, hence the map was smaller.

I actually enjoy infantry maps on Conquest, it's a nice change of pace from the awesome vehicle maps.

Infantry maps are only a problem on Rush. Both Metro and Bazaar have some pretty retarded m-com placement.

If Dice manages to avoid such mistakes, this infantry map pack can be really good IMO.

yeah. they did it on at least one RUSH map in BC2.
On White Pass the MCOM's were originally in the houses and they moved some outside after the patch that preceded the release of Harvest Day and Oasis. Before that the attackers could easily win by spamming rockets and mortars to destroy the houses with the MCOM's inside them.

Does anyone here play the TDM in BF3?

In the Bad Company games I loved and played rush all the time but I'm not a fan of rush in BF3, I play CQ pretty much exclusively because you get more points and there's more vehicles.
yeah, they were moved because they were just in a really awful position. i guess some people would say 3rd B on Metro needs to be moved too ;D

i've played a little over 100 games of TDM... it's not really my thing though...

what really kills Rush is the ability to clip thru solid walls when prone and no mcom damage. the threat of chip damage was enough to make some people spread the field more.

Finally ! Someone with some sense :) Completely agree with everything you said. I love how its going to be that'll ill quickly be able to switch to a large traditional BF map from a tight infantry based map:)

They're giving us choice, why bitch?

Also, one thing I love about these expansions far more than any dlc for any other shooter are the addition of weapons through assignments. Weapon unlocks are a major carrot for me that I love to chase. When I unlock one, I immediately switch to it and begin to test its effectiveness in different types of combat :)

I expect this close quarters expansion will feature more maps with close combat in mind :D

DICE... release these damn maps sooner!

One thing that bothers me is that the last two map packs have no mention of new weapons.. The second one only has mention of the new vehicles. I hope it's because it's releasing in fall and they're not reading to talk about them yet:) I feel like weapons will be introduced with each expansion due to the addition of the assignments system! :D

JJD

This map pack is an attempt to boost sales on consoles where the big conquest maps like b2k and Caspian are a ghost town even with their reduced size.

I know some people are enjoying BF3 on consoles, but really a BF with a 24 player count was just a dumb move. It just doesnt work and now they have to resort to these kinds of maps to fix the problem. They should have just cut whatever they had to cut destruction wise to get the player count up to a respectable level.

Have you actually played BF3 on consoles? I play it almost every day. Clocked 142 hours until now. I get full servers on Caspian, Kharg and Firestorm all day and night. I play a lot between 12:00AM and 3:AM. Lots of full servers with 24 players.

BF3 is fine on consoles.

Also I might have missed that, but where was said that maps on this expansion are only going to accommodate 16 players? Those guys were playing deathmatch or some variation right?

I am ok with this map pack, as long as it isn't 4 tiny maps. There needs to be more than 4 maps of this small size to make me think about it.....

Who am I kidding, I will buy any maps I can get for BF3....

Rawker

this seems like an after thought. the ps3 has very few people playing now so come june there will be even less. these things need to come every 3 months after launch in order to keep people interested, not 7 months.

Megasoum

Banned
So looks to be 32p modes at best. It would be cool if there was a battle happening within an office complex, complete with elevator tunnel/staircase face offs and people crawling through air ducts to control certain rooms on different floors.

Actually, according to the website, the new maps will be 16players max

http://www.battlefield.com/battlefield3/1/close-quarters

Players: 2-16

EDIT: Again, like I was saying earlier, DICE don't know what Battlefields really means and insteady try to catter to the MW crowd...sigh

EDIT 2: Looking at the gameplay video...it's not even a new map, it's part of one of the coop map. Wow 6 months to do that! Lazy mofo..

mr_nothin

Banned
I am ok with this map pack, as long as it isn't 4 tiny maps. There needs to be more than 4 maps of this small size to make me think about it.....

Who am I kidding, I will buy any maps I can get for BF3....

Of course it'll be 4 tiny maps. They descriptions lets you know exactly that.
"Death can come from any angle"
"Instant action"
"Tight combat"

Actually, according to the website, the new maps will be 16players max

http://www.battlefield.com/battlefield3/1/close-quarters

EDIT: Again, like I was saying earlier, DICE don't know what Battlefields really means and insteady try to catter to the MW crowd...sigh

EDIT 2: Looking at the gameplay video...it's not even a new map, it's part of one of the coop map. Wow 6 months to do that! Lazy mofo..

Shameless, as someone mentioned before me, if you wanted Close combat, you might as well play Counter Strike.

The segmentation of the population will be really sad to see, BC 2 only had 1 Expansion pack and pretty fast i saw a decline in servers offering it.

J-Rzez

Hmm, I'll pass on the first expansion as I have no interest for a love letter pack to smaller CoD gameplay. The follow ups sound good, but by then I will certainly be focused on other games. DICE and EA really really fumbled the ball here. June for their first new follow up xpac, and for a dedicated CQC xpac? Others may like it, but I'll definitely be passing on that one.

Arucardo

I really hope the last expansion isn't singleplayer or co-op content. What the game needs imo is more B2K type CQ maps with plenty of flanking options.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Not buying any of this.

DICE lost me as a customer.

So I'm assuming you can only get the 10 new weapons in the Close Quarters expansion if you buy it? Probably new assignments. FFFUUUUUUUUU

Decision making at DICE is utterly mind-boggling. Don't know why they're releasing the CQ expansion FIRST. And if it really is limited to DM...not enough facepalms in the universe.

Armored Warfare sounds badass, especially the "biggest map in Battlefield history", although they said that about the vanilla maps and we all know how those turned out--shit tons of wasted space.

The new patch should help revitalize the game, whenever the fuck it drops.

But quite honestly, if End Game DOES include dinosaurs...ALL WILL BE FORGIVEN.

Top Bottom