• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 3 is releasing on October 28, 2022.

SOME-MIST

sick! funny enough I've had this preordered since january 2019 before my best buy gamers club unlocked expired. the only game left other than bayonetta 3 is metroid prime 4 :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Reactions: Isa
There's no nice way to put this, but the game is ass ugly. I expect everything to be over-designed in a Bayonetta game but this is just so much worse. Oh well. Hopefully it plays as well as the first one.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Game is ugly and it's obvious that the Switch is showing its age already.

Will get it though, and it's so close to SO6 lol. :(

Reactions: Isa

SegaShack

sick! funny enough I've had this preordered since january 2019 before my best buy gamers club unlocked expired. the only game left other than bayonetta 3 is metroid prime 4 :messenger_tears_of_joy:
They actually cancelled my GCU Metroid Prime 4 Preorder in 2021 sadly enough. Glad you got to keep yours though at least.

Isa

Day 1 for me to be sure, been a long f'ng wait. Not keen on Viola's design though, whoa. She sticks out like a sore thumb. I like Jeanne's hair, super long. Bayonetta used to be my gf's favorite character back in the day, she loves that sexy witch vibe and super long powerful hair. I'm gonna have to do a new playthrough of the prior two games soon, I was waiting for the date so I could refresh myself closer to the release date of 3. I like Bayonetta's summons, being able to ride those monsters or control them is epic and that train fight looked really cool.

tmlDan

Say what you want but Nintendo was the only one willing to fund Bayonetta series.

You want blame someone then blame Sony and Microsoft because they were not interested enough to support the series.
I completely agree, but performance on switch is just not it - i really hope an upgrade comes soon that allow BC for switch

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
I think the game looks great but I am reading many a comment about the gaming being "ugly" or "messy"

Am I misremembering what the previous two games look like? Does the Wii u game look better than this?

I'll have to shoehorn this into my schedule somehow. Good thing there's nothing else coming out around the same time. I should be done with Xenoblade Chronicles 3 by then, I expect to put 300+ hours into it if I'm lucky like the last game there could be a standalone expansion like Torna. I thought I'd be playing Forza Motorsport and Starfield in the fall but they've been bumped so this was a nice surprise.

Bragr

Banned
This is gonna be sweet. If it can come close to Bayo 1 and 2, it's gonna be a top 5 game of the year sort of game.

FXjPFvTX0AAcQdH

kunonabi

I think the game looks great but I am reading many a comment about the gaming being "ugly" or "messy"

Am I misremembering what the previous two games look like? Does the Wii u game look better than this?
The art direction, and character/monster/environment designs were better than what we've seen of 3 and it was much easier to read the action especially in 1. That said, the editing in this trailer is pretty terrible so it might not be that bad in the actual game.

It looks very gaudy and fun to me. Almost like Space Channel 5 meets the apocalypse. Reminds me of old Sega arcade titles.
Just too much on the gaudy side for me to the point of I swear every idea got tossed in regardless of how much drugs it took to get there. Again, very much on point for the Bayonetta brand and all, just too far in that direction. Regardless should be a fun time. I just don't want to go blind doing so. :messenger_sunglasses:

Shifty

Now I've had the chance to give the trailer a proper watch, what on earth did they do to my man Rodin.

I can understand comedy schmoe Enzo having let himself go, but Rodin rocking that sweater and ill-fitting trilby combo is some mid-life crisis shit that needs to be fixed by no-selling another giant rock to the head. It feels like Luca is the only one sticking true to his style lol.

On other stuff, it looks like we're getting some nifty fusion tech this time around with that full-body Madama Butterfly devil trigger, absorbing that demon cannon thing, and what looks like a giant mish-mash kaiju of all Bayo's summons at the end.

And I really want to know who the conductor of the hype train is. Looks like a super version of Jeanne's historical costume from the first game, and she's got the umbra doo-dad on her chest. But rapunzel Jeanne from 2 also appears in the trailer, so it feels like parallel world shenanigans are almost guaranteed at this point.

Not sure about punk girl, gives me the same vibe as the chick from DmC. Though it looks like she's wielding Shuraba complete with its own summon, so that'll be interesting to see.

Looking forward to it :messenger_horns:

Perfect post, I agree with everything you said.

Not sure how the second game is, but the first game has a shit ton of unlockable costumes. I hope that's the case in Bayo 3, because the SECOND I unlock a different costume, I'm gonna change out this overdesigned/weird default costume mess.

Of course, there's always Jeanne who usually tends to have a better design than Bayonetta anyway...
2 was quite well served for costumes, so I'm sure we'll get a nice wealth of options this time as well.

Though I hope we see a return of the Umbran Elegance system from the first game where you can get a set of modifiers that correspond to equippable weapons - 2's system was more about 'full set' costumes, which are good, but less conceptually integrated.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
Direct or not we are getting most of games we are looking forward to….at least for me.

I’m just super happy I’m getting Xenoblade 3, Bayonetta 3 and Mario + Rabbit 2 this year.
Hoping for Prime or 3D Zelda remaster. Nintendo takes their time drip feeding us classic gamers

Fbh

Nice to have confirmation of the datre.
Still have a feeling this won't be as good as 1&2. But for now I'm still in day 1.

There's no nice way to put this, but the game is ass ugly. I expect everything to be over-designed in a Bayonetta game but this is just so much worse. Oh well. Hopefully it plays as well as the first one.

Yeah it's pretty ugly.
Since it's Switch I was expecting much from the actual graphics, but the art direction being bad is disappointing. Ugly environments, ugly character designs, too much grey, etc

Bayo2 came out 8 years ago on weaker hardware and looks more visually pleasing

Now I've had the chance to give the trailer a proper watch, what on earth did they do to my man Rodin.

I can understand comedy schmoe Enzo having let himself go, but Rodin rocking that sweater and ill-fitting trilby combo is some mid-life crisis shit that needs to be fixed by no-selling another giant rock to the head. It feels like Luca is the only one sticking true to his style lol.

On other stuff, it looks like we're getting some nifty fusion tech this time around with that full-body Madama Butterfly devil trigger, absorbing that demon cannon thing, and what looks like a giant mish-mash kaiju of all Bayo's summons at the end.

And I really want to know who the conductor of the hype train is. Looks like a super version of Jeanne's historical costume from the first game, and she's got the umbra doo-dad on her chest. But rapunzel Jeanne from 2 also appears in the trailer, so it feels like parallel world shenanigans are almost guaranteed at this point.

Not sure about punk girl, gives me the same vibe as the chick from DmC. Though it looks like she's wielding Shuraba complete with its own summon, so that'll be interesting to see.

Looking forward to it :messenger_horns:

2 was quite well served for costumes, so I'm sure we'll get a nice wealth of options this time as well.

Though I of hope we see a return of the Umbran Elegance system from the first game where you can get a set of modifiers that correspond to equippable weapons - 2's system was more about 'full set' costumes, which are good, but less conceptually integrated.

Also, one shortcoming of the alternate costumes in 1 is that, when Bayo/Jeanne do the big Umbran summons against the bosses, the "naked" effect only works with their main costumes. (For Bayo, her default one; for Jeanne, her "Umbran Witch" white one, the one she wears when you have to fight her for the last time)

Labolas

I hate to be that guy but I'm still relatively worried that isn't going to reach the highs of the first game. It seems to be relying on more spectacle than a tightly focused action game, but it is just the trailer and it is meant to bring hype to the game. The game does look worse than 2 visually speaking and has a very washed out look to it. But I will say that I am relatively hyped for it and looking forward to playing it. I'm practically starved for character action games at this point.
Nice DMC1 reference (Phantom)
Phantom or Phantasmaraneae has been in the series since the first one as a summon.
Safe For Wife mode
Safe for Wife, Safe for Life.
Walter White Insult GIF by Breaking Bad

Gambit2483

Well the numbers don’t lie, they already have the following 80+ MC games:
- Kirby
- Triangle Strategy
- Sunbreak
- FE Warriors: Three Hopes
- Arceus

Xenoblade, Rabbids, Splatoon and the new Pokémon games are pretty much guaranteed 80+. Add Bayonetta and you’re at 10 80+ first party games in a single year.

What exactly is going to compare with that?

BVhuyrn.jpg

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Is it me or does it kinda give a meaningfully higher budget/polish feel in the quality of characters, set pieces (most of which are combat based - which I'm sure is still great fun even when controlling the giant beast things instead of the normal characters - even though there's still that one token rail shooter section that will still probably be better than the stuff in the original game but otherwise forgettable), level scopes and what not, than previously? Though it's no DMC5 of course. Edit: wut, no way are some of the comments saying the complete opposite of this serious. Granted I just care for how the game seems to be, I initially watched the Japanese trailer due to age lock and viewing it in English the plot/dialogue is still just background noise to me, not something I care that much about. Though I don't think it seems any worse than previous games in that tbh. No age lock here btw.

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned
Honestly, people said the exact same thing about Bayonetta 2 when it released. "This looks nowhere near as good/polished/whatever as the first one". And now suddenly 2 looked great and 3 looks like trash. There's no pleasing some people. But this is also why I think it's kinda funny people want this on their shiny new PS5 or PC. Bayo was never a particularly good looking game in the traditional sense. Compared to a Spider-Man or Horizon this looks like a A or AA title at best and running on more powerful hardware with a resolution boost wouldn't suddenly change that.

To me the trailer looked pretty darn great and I'll be getting the Collector's Edition day 1. Even if it turns out to be not as good as the first two, it'll still be a fun ride, I'm sure.

Last edited:
Man, Nintendo is rocking it this year. So nice to see even if folks are still complaining about a dry 2022.
Well, it's not dry if you've been pining for a new Bayonetta. Or if you are a Xenoblade, Kirby or Pokemon fan. This just happens to be one of those "off" years for me as far as Nintendo's output roadmap. Waiting for a Zelda release, even if it's a Wind Waker HD port. Waiting for a Yoshi Woolly World Wii U port. Waiting for that next Mario game. Waiting to see if/ when they ever remaster the Mario & Luigi games and put them out on Switch. Waiting for BotW 2. Waiting for a 3D Metroid. Waiting for a new Pikmin. Waiting for a new Donkey Kong. Waiting for a remaster or remake of either of the first two Paper Mario games. Waiting, waiting, waiting.

Fbh

Honestly, people said the exact same thing about Bayonetta 2 when it released. "This looks nowhere near as good/polished/whatever as the first one". And now suddenly 2 looked great and 3 looks like trash. There's no pleasing some people. But this is also why I think it's kinda funny people want this on their shiny new PS5 or PC. Bayo was never a particularly good looking game in the traditional sense. Compared to a Spider-Man or Horizon this looks like a A or AA title at best and running on more powerful hardware with a resolution boost wouldn't suddenly change that.

To me the trailer looked pretty darn great and I'll be getting the Collector's Edition day 1. Even if it turns out to be not as good as the first two, it'll still be a fun ride, I'm sure.

I don't know, I always liked Bayo 2 better than one. Still do.
Also it might never be a looker but it for sure would look much nicer in 4K(ish) proper 60fps and with some higher res textures. Though I never complain about that because it's only thanks to Nintendo that Bayo2 and 3 got made in the first place, so I'll accept whatever hardware limitations they have to work with.

I just think the overall art direction is significantly worse than 2. Character designs are uglier and all the environments they have shown are very grey and bland. Also both trailers have focused heavily on gimmicky summons and "setpiece" moments which have, IMO, always been the worst part of Platinum games. Their strength is the core combat, whenever they deviate from that to make some on rails shooting section or something else it's usually shit (except maybe in Nier).

gimmicky summons and "setpiece" moments which have, IMO, always been the worst part of Platinum games. Their strength is the core combat (except maybe in Nier).

100% spot on. I still think Bayo 1 has the best combat of any non-fighting game I've ever played. But the gimmick levels are their worst.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Most of those set pieces are combat, even if it's with the giant beasts twist I'm sure they made it just as fun since they intended to incorporate several rather than one like the token shooting section they still have (which at least doesn't look offensive and a drag for replays this time, just forgettable).

Last edited:
Don't know danger hair Vergil though.
I kept seeing this comment and was confused; since I've only played the first game, to me Jeanne serves as that game's "Vergil." The comparison/analogy is clear as day.

But after watching the trailer... holy shit, what the hell was that!? "Danger hair Vergil" is absolutely the best description :messenger_tears_of_joy:

So now, Bayonetta 3 has the distinction of having some of the worst character designs from the East and the West.

Whatever. At the end of the day, gameplay is king, and that will be my main judgment of the game.

Top Bottom