• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBC asked 253 critics to determine the best comedies ever made. The results are...

I will say that Mean Girls making the list but not Heathers is disgusting.
Heathers is a cult classic dark comedy, it's quite obscure unless if you were seeking out dark comedies or were fans Slater or Ryder. If this list was about 80s comedies and by mainly American critics rather than international critics, it might have stood a chance.

I think we can all agree that Don't be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood being left off the list is a literal crime against humanity.

tumblr_mrhvbauF131s983r8o1_400.gif

Steamlord

Heathers is a cult classic dark comedy, it's quite obscure unless if you were seeking out dark comedies or were fans Slater or Ryder. If this list was about 80s comedies and by mainly American critics rather than international critics, it might have stood a chance.

If Daisies isn't too obscure then neither is Heathers.

Edit: To be honest I'm shocked that Daisies is on the list. In a good way.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Some cracking films on that list and love a lot of the top 10. A shame to see one of my favourite comedies Planes, Trains and Automobiles not on there as well as any Laurel and Hardy films - things like Way Out West, but ah well.

Blazing Saddles is too damn low.

Spaceballs isn't that good.

Troof, though HotWP1 beats both by a country mile, with Producers and Young Frankenstein followed by Men in Tights between those two. We don't talk about Dracula Dead and Loving It.

Solid top 10. Man I miss the Abrahams/Zucker comedies. Wet Hot American Summer is the closest we've come since. That being said:

This is a not good way to create a top 100 list. It's an incredibly broad write-in category which attempts to rank 100 picks based off of individuals' solitary 10. I'd wager there's probably not an appreciable difference in vote count between number 20 and number 200.

Also, people in here are crazy if they think Coming to America is anywhere on the level of Trading Places. I'll take wise-cracking smartass Murphy over annoyingly sincere Murphy any day of the week.

Dalek

I think we can all agree that Don't be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood being left off the list is a literal crime against humanity.

tumblr_mrhvbauF131s983r8o1_400.gif

My brother.

That movie is hilarious.

"My name is Dashiki. That's Swahili for doggy-style."

Also, controversial opinion: Hot Fuzz is pretty average, Scott Pilgrim is the superior Edgar Wright action comedy.

Also also, the fuck is the Hangover doing on this list.

Also also also, more people need to watch The Apartment. Witty dialogue, really well-written characters, and a genuinely compelling dramedy that's every bit as relevant today as it was back then. I'm kinda shocked noone has tried to do a modern take on the idea yet.

eso76

Also, controversial opinion: Hot Fuzz is pretty average, Scott Pilgrim is the superior Edgar Wright action comedy.

Also also, the fuck is the Hangover doing on this list.

Hot Fuzz is a masterpiece in movie making.
Masterclass... everything.

With that said, not a single Monicelli movie.
Alberto Sordi, Roberto benigni, massimo Troisi, Carlo Verdone. No Amici Miei. Totò.
Was it forbidden to vote for anything in which English isn't the original language or what (I know it wasn't, I watched everyone's list).

I remember watching an AFI Top 100 Best Comedies tv special years and years ago and Some Like It Hot was #1 there too.

And after they announced it, I paused a minute before thinking, "...yeah, it probably is".

Shaneus

Airplane isn't a good movie, and it shouldn't be on the list
Top Secret should've been much higher, it's a far better parody movie. The best, IMO.

And Val Kilmer is criminally underrated as a comedic actor. I didn't even see Kiss Kiss Bang Bang on the list :(

I've seen 7 out of the top 10. Can confirm I am old. Away to check the list if my 3 favourite comedies - Love and Death (1975), The Producers (1967) and Withnail and I (1987) - aren't in there then I will do absolutely nothing as it's only a list.

Edit - they are all there. Good good carry on.

Clockwork5

Since it seems no one has seen The Life of Brian, watch that damn movie.

It is hilariously good and as relevant as it has ever been.

finowns

Stepbrothers is my #1 comedy.

'Well, I'm not calling him Dad'

'Your 40 years old, I don't expect you to call him Dad'

Lolll

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Some cracking films on that list and love a lot of the top 10. A shame to see one of my favourite comedies Planes, Trains and Automobiles not on there as well as any Laurel and Hardy films - things like Way Out West, but ah well.

Sons of the Desert is on the list.

Top Bottom