• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBC: Tremor is detected in North Korea (up: nuclear test conducted)

pulsemyne

Now thats kinda scary. I didn't know you could make bombs like a shotgun shell and have the artillery spread across a wide area. How destructive could each mini-bomb be?

Depends on which nation is firing the nuke. Multi warheads can be in the low tens of kilotons all the way upto 400 plus. Then you have the fact that there can be a lot of warheads on missile anywhere from 2-3 all the way up to a dozen or more. There's a reason NATO nicknamed one of the russian missiles as Satan...

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
This is my biggest fear

Terrorists can't do anything with nuclear technology. You think ISIS can engage in weapons-grade enrichment when it can barely even hold territory? At most, North Korea could sell material for a dirty bomb, but... that's a market that already exists. Chechen terrorists attempted to use a dirty bomb in 1995.

Weckum

Now thats kinda scary. I didn't know you could make bombs like a shotgun shell and have the artillery spread across a wide area. How destructive could each mini-bomb be?

It leads to some amazing pics as well

rSuVr.jpg

MIRV test.

That's some hardcore bullshit.

The last thing the world needs is the EU which joins the American hysteric rhetoric. The fact that SK and Japan are way more calm about NK should tell you something.
Agreed.

America can chill the fuck out. Nk ain't nuking anyone as long as they aren't attacked first.

Weckum

That's incredible. Source for the photo?

It's called 'Peacekeeper'

The LGM-118 Peacekeeper, also known as the MX missile (for Missile-eXperimental), was a land-based ICBM deployed by the United States starting in 1986. The Peacekeeper was a MIRV missile that could carry up to 10 re-entry vehicles, each armed with a 300-kiloton W87 warhead in a Mk.21 reentry vehicle (RV). A total of 50 missiles were deployed starting in 1986, after a long and contentious development program that traced its roots into the 1960s.

So each of those warheads was two to three times as powerful as the one NK detonated today.

More here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGM-118_Peacekeeper

It is important to remember that NATO needs to be invoked, UK did not ask for NATO help, so NATO didn't help.

Falkland wasn't part of the NATO covered area, so article 5 wasn't relevant back then. It's disturbing to see that people don't have a clue about basic geopolitics and military alliances but are suddenly experts for East Asian.

Damn, learning about these technologies is frightening and awesome. So much destructive potential. End of the world is gonna be scary and beautiful D:

I don't think america can afford a war.
It can't even afford a wall.

If USA breaks north korea and damages south korea you think it can wash its hands and say "job well done"? China would have every right to say ok we're applying a punitive tax to recover the immense costs of dealing with the humanitarian crisis on our border that we told you not to trigger.
American stock and bond markets would collapse and the economy would sink into deep recession forcing USA to beg the holders of american debt what they want in return for financial help. That's if the rest of the world was in any position to help at all.

Compare that scenario to inviting NK to shoot first, inviting retaliation that had global backing.

I don't think america can afford a war.
It can't even afford a wall.

If USA breaks north korea and damages south korea you think it can wash its hands and say "job well done"? China would have every right to say ok we're applying a punitive tax to recover the immense costs of dealing with the humanitarian crisis on our border that we told you not to trigger.
American stock and bond markets would collapse and the economy would sink into deep recession forcing USA to beg the holders of american debt what they want in return for financial help. That's if the rest of the world was in any position to help at all.

Compare that scenario to inviting NK to shoot first, inviting retaliation that had global backing.

that's... not how it works.

not that the war wouldn't be terrible for the economy. it most certainly would, but that's not how being a US creditor works. At all.

that's... not how it works.

not that the war wouldn't be terrible for the economy. it most certainly would, but that's not how being a US creditor works. At all.

America has a huge national debt, and needs to service it, it needs the faith of international bond holders to buy the government debt at cheap rates. If it bumbles around in korea and leaves a total mess, tanks its own stock market and as interest rates go up screws the consumer credit it has little bargaining power left.
Where that leads I don't know, but it wouldn't be pretty.

Hari Seldon

I'm increasingly convinced that the only way to peacefully draw this down is to punish China economically. They talk a good game but don't do a damn thing about fatass Kim.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm increasingly convinced that the only way to peacefully draw this down is to punish China economically. They talk a good game but don't do a damn thing about fatass Kim.
You mean the country that makes all your electronics and probably half of everything sold on Amazon and Walmart.

pswii60

You mean the country that makes all your electronics and probably half of everything sold on Amazon and Walmart.
Indeed if we rattle the nation that provides us with politically correct slave labour then we won't have nice things anymore, not unless you're rich anyway.

TarNaru33

Banned
Falkland wasn't part of the NATO covered area, so article 5 wasn't relevant back then. It's disturbing to see that people don't have a clue about basic geopolitics and military alliances but are suddenly experts for East Asian.

Actually no, I am saying that there is no real argument on the legal basis because UK never tried to invoke it, probably because they believe they couldn't. We can all speculate, but chances are, its possible that they could of invoked it and nations would help regardless of the whether it legally constitutes it.

It's not only china.

Nations having trade with NK:

https://twitter.com/AkiPeritz/status/904385928826904576
7/10 of the largest economies on earth

It's basically economic suicide for the US
At the same time most if those countries would instantly stop trading with NK if the alternative was a/ not trading with the US b/ contributing to global economic collapse.
Probably even China would.
Its interesting in a way - if there was a credible way to show they were ready to do it - it would probably work. Like an economic nuke / MAD.

Liha

Banned
Actually no, I am saying that there is no real argument on the legal basis because UK never tried to invoke it, probably because they believe they couldn't. We can all speculate, but chances are, its possible that they could of invoked it and nations would help regardless of the whether it legally constitutes it.

Article 5 says that NATO promises to take "such action as it deems necessary", that could be anything from nuclear war to a stiff diplomatic protest.

TarNaru33

Banned
Article 5 says that NATO promises to take "such action as it deems necessary", that could be anything from nuclear war to a stiff diplomatic protest.

Exactly what I was saying, its not like NATO isn't going to help an allied nation under attack just because the spot they were attacked doesn't technically fit into it's jurisdiction.

Syrus

Banned
Something needs to happen. We keep pushing NK off until they actually nuke someone.

Im sorry NK needs wiped out a omehow

Valhelm

contribute something
Terrorists can't do anything with nuclear technology. You think ISIS can engage in weapons-grade enrichment when it can barely even hold territory? At most, North Korea could sell material for a dirty bomb, but... that's a market that already exists. Chechen terrorists attempted to use a dirty bomb in 1995.

I like to believe this, but why can't a nuclear device be delivered into a major city via some kind of suicide van?

Valhelm

contribute something
Something needs to happen. We keep pushing NK off until they actually nuke someone.

Im sorry NK needs wiped out a omehow

You're suggesting we kill millions of people with nuclear arms to prevent millions of people being killed by nuclear arms

KHarvey16

We dont have to nuke them.

Not talking about NK casualties. That's how many people NK could kill in South Korea, Japan and the US before they're wiped out.

Surely thwirs covert actions.

Is there any estimates how many deaths a ground war would be?

Likely millions in a ground war on both sides. The best case scenarios I've seen are in the hundreds of thousands and that's if every happy assumption is correct.

cirrhosis

Hard to say without knowing who would be involved. I don't want to speculate on the sheer casualties that would result - either from combat or the aftermath. Any impact would be felt by not just the Peninsula but other neighboring nations.

antonz

The question becomes with say special forces. How many do you have to kill and who and when can we stop. Say we take Kim out and some of his closest power people. What happens if doing so we get a crazy old General who still remembers the Korean war and decides to authorize the usage of weapons and go endgame.

Covert Ops could open a Pandora box with elements we have no idea on versus the pudgy steam playing fuck we know now.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I like to believe this, but why can't a nuclear device be delivered into a major city via some kind of suicide van?

Again, they don't need North Korea for this. You could construct a Hiroshima-level bomb using about 16kg pounds of uranium; it'd be easier just to target Western sources of uranium in a few heists than ship it from North Korea to whichever country the terrorists wanted to bomb. I also think that if North Korea did it, it would still trigger immediate retaliation - it's just bomb-via-terrorist instead of bomb-via-ICM; North Korea was still a nuclear aggressor. So I don't think this is likely.

More worrying is state collapse. For example, North Korea appeared to have collaborated with the Assad regime in the past, which is now obviously an incredibly unstable region.

There is no legal base for article 5. They could still asked for help, in fact the USA supported the UK in that conflict, but this was outside of the NATO. Article 6 was written exactly for such cases that some overseas conflicts doesn't become a case for the NATO.

Luschient

Read this today and found it interesting.

North Korea mountain used as nuclear test site at risk of collapsing, Chinese scientist says

A mountain in North Korea believed to have served as the site of five of the rogue regime’s nuclear tests -- including Sunday’s supposed hydrogen bomb explosion -- is at risk of collapsing and leaking radiation into the region, a Chinese scientist said Monday.

Researchers at the University of Science and Technology of China in Hefei, Anhui province, examined the Punggye-ri site and said they “were confident” underground detonations were occurring underneath the mountain, South China Morning Post reported. Wang Naiyan, a former chairman of the China Nuclear Society and a researcher on China's own nuclear weapons program, said another test underneath the mountain can cause an “environmental disaster” if the site caves in on itself, allowing radiation to escape and “drift across the region,” including into China.

“We call it ‘taking the roof off.’ If the mountain collapses and the hole is exposed, it will let out many bad things.” Wang told the South China Morning Post.

Wonder if China would be more likely to step in if there's a real danger of radiation coming across their border from NK?

Top Bottom