• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Belatro is driving me insane.

BossLackey

Gold Member
This deckbuilding poker roguelite called Belatro just had it's full release. I have put like 15 hours into it and still have not completed a run and I'm beyond frustrated. I feel like I can't think about anything else until I get a completed run under my belt but I just can't.

I've played a decent amount of poker. I've played MORE than a decent amount of rogelites/likes starting with the browser version of The Binding of Isaac back in the day. This game is breaking me.

My friends have all finished their runs within the first few hours with more after that and here I am with over a dozen hours and can't get past the 7th Ante (there are 8).

I understand all the mechanics of the game and often have runs where I'm winning every round in 1 or two hand with several times the size of the blind, but then one of the bosses will just fuck me.

Went on forums and Steam discussions to see what people's tips were. They're all things I've been doing. I haven't had single "aha, that's what I've been doing wrong" moment. I'm playing as optimally as feels possible and yet I can't fucking win.

I've never been this frustrated with a game in my life. I feel incredibly stupid.

Last edited:

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
peter griffin family GIF

BossLackey

Gold Member
Lol only 15 hrs, pleb. Some hints- money is important

I'm making sure to win first round with 1 hand for the extra dollar. Getting money early to 25 and living off interest. Many runs where I've had more money than I can spend.

What else you got?

Jorav

I've found having a good set of jokers can make or break your run. Multipliers for suits and numbers are my go to. Tarot cards can be handy in leveling up hands too.

gothmog

Gold Member
Stop playing it like poker and more like something you are exploiting with cheats. Focus on the jokers you have available and how they reward you. You can win a whole run doing just high cards if you build it right.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I'm making sure to win first round with 1 hand for the extra dollar. Getting money early to 25 and living off interest. Many runs where I've had more money than I can spend.

What else you got?

Most broken combo Ive found is buffing the shit out of 2 pairs. Easy hand to put together and a bunch of jokers synergize with it. There’s a joker that adds multi every time you play 2 pairs. There’s a joker that adds multi every time you play 1 pair which still counts. I cleared the last stage on one hand of aces and deuces.

Got lucky on third run with jokers that just grew exponentially… hoping finishing a run is just the start else sorta disappointed by how easy it was

Sorry op

BossLackey

Gold Member
Finally won!

Died on Big Blind of Ante 10 (but just barely).

I was doing everything right but one. I made sure to have a good distribution of +chips, +multi, and Xmulti.

I wasn't generating enough chips in my other runs.

tamago84

What else you got?
Those jokers that give free tarot/planet cards are good early-mid. But joker with early chip/mult/money bonus are essential. Im getting my ass kicked trying to do the black deck as well

Top Bottom