• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bernie Sanders Is the Most Popular Politician in America, Poll Says

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eylos

Banned
1503604778974-GettyImages-510264550.jpeg

The Vermont senator is the only national politician a majority of voters from both parties actually like, according to a new poll.

A new poll found that among all other notable American senators, representatives, and even the president, Bernie Sanders reigns supreme as the most popular politician in the nation—the only one a majority of voters on both sides of the aisle view favorably, the Hill reports.

The Harvard-Harris Poll—an online survey conducted from August 17 to 22—culled responses from 2,263 voters who lean both left and right, along with those who identify as nonpartisan. It asked about their feelings on the Democratic and Republican parties, the biggest political moments of the past few weeks, and what issues matter most to them. It also quizzed them on America's politicians, asking how favorably or unfavorably they viewed certain lawmakers.

Unsurprisingly, Sanders—who's long held the distinction of the country's most popular politician—earned the honor once again. The poll found 54 percent of voters view him favorably, while just 36 percent feel the opposite. No other politician netted support from a majority of US voters from both parties. The closest contender—Vice President Mike Pence—earned a favorability rate of 44 percent.

The Vermont senator's success could be based, in part, on how active he's remained since the primaries. He's kept up his unrelenting drive to reach voters where they live, meeting with folks at events in 15 states since the election, the New Yorker reports. He's continued to push for universal healthcare, bash the GOP over its inability to pass legislation, and pounce on Trump every time he says something controversial. He called Trump's Charlottesville comments "embarrassing," slammed his "fire and fury" threat to North Korea as "bombastic rhetoric," and told the president he was "on the wrong side of history" when Trump announced his intention to ban transgender personnel from the military.

For their part, the president, his team, and leading members of the GOP aren't looking so hot. The poll pegged the president's approval rating at 43 percent, with 57 percent disapproving. Only 33 percent of voters view Speaker of the House Paul Ryan favorably. And Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has the lowest favorability rating of any national politician, at just 19 percent.

Those folks could use a lesson in positive PR, something Sanders—whether intentionally or not—has seemed to master. Maybe it's his policies that have garnered him so much support; but maybe, at least in part, it's his penchant for pulling goofy stunts like taking a poster of Trump's tweets to the Senate, or speaking at the Ben & Jerry's HQ from a giant ice cream podium. At the end of the day, he's a politician with a good sense of humor—what's not to like?

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...n-america-poll-says-vgtrn?utm_source=vicefbus

Lock If old

An online survey, hmm? Sounds legit. I'm gonna look into the results of this study a little further, just for fun.

Hmm. More people than not polled in this study as moderate and conservative than liberal. Also, 68% of the polled voters were white. 43% of voters in this approved of Trump. Approval on his specific policies seems to average out at about 50%... I don't think this study should be taken as gospel for what works for the left.

Also looking at the polling, I found this error which made me giggle. What even was the question supposed to be here?

g11

The headline should be "Mike Pence second-most liked politician in U.S."

Like, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?!

Audioboxer

An online survey, hmm? Sounds legit.

The sample size is fine.

As this topic will go on to quickly show regardless of any good messages Bernie might have or decent polling like this there is no point in him running. There would be far too much resentment, anger and frustration that Clinton didn't win even in 2020.

I said as much in that 1 in 10 Bernie topic. As an outsider looking in getting an opinion from how GAF is debating Bernie it would be a bad idea him running in 2020. He's probably going to be a bit too old as well to be honest.

Time to find someone new and not relive 2016. I don't think anyone wants to risk Trump getting a 2nd term.

Like, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?!

It's just a weird optical illusion that people fall for where he looks good by comparison because is always standing next to an unspeakably odious man.

Laiza

Lol, we're doomed.

Like, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?!
Yeah, that's about my thoughts when I read that line.

How on this green Earth did flippin' PENCE get second-most liked politician in the US?

There's gotta be some sample bias going on here, or else...
It's just a weird optical illusion that people fall for where he looks good by comparison because is always standing next to an unspeakably odious man.
HAH! That's one way to look at it, I suppose.
I will take him but I just want my Obama back.
I mean, I liked the guy, but getting more Obama wouldn't really fix anything over the long haul. We need more than just a strong president.

Yeah, that's about my thoughts when I read that line.

How on this green Earth did flippin' PENCE get second-most liked politician in the US?

There's gotta be some sample bias going on here, or else...

This is what Republicans try to convince themselves of so they can sleep at night.

Bakercat

I think 2016 would have been much more fun and interesting seeing sanders vs trump. I think if anyone could of matched trumps charisma it would of been sanders. Too bad the DNC backed Hilary and in the end we got trump. Oh well

Hazmat

The grass is always greener on the other side. I'm sure life would be all picnics and blowjobs and a season 7 of Game of Thrones that was well written if he'd won the primary.

Slayven

I think 2016 would have been much more fun and interesting seeing sanders vs trump. I think if anyone could of matched trumps charisma it would of been sanders. Too bad the DNC backed Hilary and in the end we got trump. Oh well

DNC backed Hillary or Bernie abandoned the south?

Betty

Banned
The One and Done™;246922020 said:
You're joking right?

He couldn't even beat Hillary.

His ideas were too far left for many moderates.

Trump would've won, and Bernie wouldn't have scored as many votes as Hillary ended up getting.

An online survey, hmm? Sounds legit. I'm gonna look into the results of this study a little further, just for fun.

Hmm. More people than not polled in this study as moderate and conservative than liberal. Also, 68% of the polled voters were white. 43% of voters in this approved of Trump. Approval on his specific policies seems to average out at about 50%... I don't think this study should be taken as gospel for what works for the left.

Keep fighting the good fight against the most popular politician in the US. For whom though?

ZeoVGM

Banned
I honestly think there's a chance at this point that he runs again in 2020.

And then, I think he wins. I don't think he would have won in 2016 though. The Trump movement was simply stronger than democrats expected.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Among these TWELVE politicians....

Names included.

Bannon
Tillerson
Ryan

Lol. Trash poll.

is there someone you think would poll higher? It looks like they picked the most prominent people in politics right now and even then the "heard of" is still as low as 56%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom