• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best GameCube looking games (56k) - Take 2

Edited title for Zilch

Metroid Prime 2

589573_20040511_screen009.jpg

589573_20040511_screen004.jpg

589573_20040511_screen007.jpg

Baten Kaitos

917921_20040512_screen001.jpg

917921_20040512_screen012.jpg

917921_20040512_screen013.jpg

917921_20040512_screen011.jpg

Starfox Adventures

starfox_screen006.jpg

starfox_screen020.jpg

starfox_screen028.jpg

F-Zero GX

gxreview5in.jpg

fzerogx_072503_x1.jpg

fzerogx_072503_x5.jpg

fzerogx_072503_x7.jpg

Tales of Symphonia

561316_20040518_screen004.jpg

561316_20040518_screen003.jpg

561316_20040518_screen002.jpg

561316_20040504_screen002.jpg

561316_20040504_screen007.jpg

561316_20040512_screen002.jpg

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles

ffccgcn_012304_x9.jpg

ffccgcn_012304_x11.jpg

Star Wars Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike

rebelstrike_092403_x1.jpg

rstrike_081103_x10.jpg

rstrike_081103_x9.jpg

The Legend of Zelda

zeldaww_0324_screen002.jpg

zedlausfinaleng2.jpg

0229_zeldamegaton_16.jpg

0229_zeldamegaton_9.jpg

0229_zeldamegaton_8.jpg

0225_zeldawindbreaker3.jpg

920769_20040511_screen003.jpg

920769_20040511_screen009.jpg

920769_20040511_screen011.jpg

920769_20040511_screen002.jpg

Resident Evil 4

535840_20040316_screen002.jpg

re4trailer_033004_x10_1080689586.jpg

re4cube_031704_x28_1079603884.jpg

re4cube_031704_x25_1079603870.jpg

re4cube_031704_x29_1079603889.jpg

Did I forget anything ?

Zilch

Banned
Those look more like the best-looking Gamecube games, rather than the best Gamecube-looking games, IMO.

scola said:
I still think SMS looks good.

You know, I had not bothered to play SMS for a long time, quite a few months and was udner the impression the graphics were horrid. I decided to pop it back in the other day out of boredom and was just blown away. So funny.

Anyways, I think LoZ E3, FF:CC (The water is just awesome), RE4, and Rogue Leader (lots of stuff going on) as my favorites.

IGN's screen caps are awful. They really don't do Starfox Adventures any justice at all.

And yes, I think SMS is fantastic looking.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
DarthWufei said:
You know, I had not bothered to play SMS for a long time, quite a few months and was udner the impression the graphics were horrid. I decided to pop it back in the other day out of boredom and was just blown away. So funny.
I've found that this forum can do that to you. I was the same way. I had always like the graphics of the game, but had written them off as anything spectacular.... until I started the game over just recently. Of course, a new TV and component cables didn't hurt.

I'd add this list:

Luigi's Mansion for its excellent lighting and particle effects.
Soul Calibur 2, even though its multiplatform, its still looks great.

JJConrad said:
I've found that this forum can do that to you. I was the same way. I had always like the graphics of the game, but had written them off as anything spectacular.... until I started the game over just recently. Of course, a new TV and component cables didn't hurt.

I think that's because the forum judges how good a game looks by the first screens. SMS came out with bad quality captures, people attacked it and decided it looked disappointing, which stuck into peoples minds. It just meant that when people got the game, they ignored the whole visual aspect of the game, because the majority of the forum disliked it

thorns

Banned
jarrod said:
Funny, that's where I thought you belonged? :p

Well this same thread came up before the forum meltdown and it was said these kinds of threads do not belong on GAF, so what do I know :)

AniHawk

Wow, SMS DOES look nice...

31.jpg

Probably my favorite shot.

Man, I can't wait to see the finished product of The Legend of Zelda XII.

Newbie said:
I think that's because the forum judges how good a game looks by the first screens. SMS came out with bad quality captures, people attacked it and decided it looked disappointing, which stuck into peoples minds. It just meant that when people got the game, they ignored the whole visual aspect of the game, because the majority of the forum disliked it

That might have to do with some of it. But the game did have some problems graphically most notably the texturing. It just made up for it with all the visual tricks it had.

40.jpg

SMS is worth it for this level alone. Not so much the level itself, but being able to look out over the ocean with that calm music playing in the background is just breathtaking.

Ramirez said:
SFA had amazing graphics,but man did it suck,lol...

The new Zelda is just unreal,a dream come true >:D

tell me about it, I cried when it showed up in the conference .. I ain't kidding

although I loved TWW, but it just made me soo friggin happy that Zelda got "realistic" again

F-Zero GX can't even be honored with stills. Beautiful in motion though.

I didn't play a lot of Baten Kaitos at E3, but I was not very impressed by the graphics. There are some nice backgrounds, but the characters look terrible. The Resident Evil games did a much better job with that balance. Then again, I was also oddly underwhelmed by RE4's graphics, but the monitors Nintendo uses at E3 tend to bring out the worst in a game's graphics. Looking back at it now, SFA looks like an Xbox title, which is weird but fitting. It's not the best looking game up there, but you know what I mean...it has that Xbox look. Maybe it's the warm lighting. I said it back in 2002 and I'll say it now: SMS has moments where it's the most beautiful game around. It can also be ass ugly at times.

For the most all around beautiful game on the system, I'd probably go with FFCC. Unbelievable graphics on that one.

Kuroyume

Banned
Resident Evil or Resident Evil 0? I don't care if they were pre-rendered; they looked amazing, especially Resident Evil's water tank/shark area.

SSB:Melee, Luigi's Mansion, and Waverace.

sharks001.jpg

biohazard_032702_18.jpg

ribmonster1.jpg

reparticles3.jpg

residentevil0_102102_25.jpg

residentevil0_102102_21.jpg

residentevil0_102102_15.jpg

residentevil0_102102_11.jpg

smashmattsucks1.jpg
smashyoshi4.jpg

supersmashice3.jpg

Gattsu25

Banned
why is it the battle screen of BK looks so shitty? bah...they should have either gone pre-rendered all the way or all 3D...this pre-rendered on the map and 3D on the battle field thing should have died with the PSX...especially if you can't get both screens to look even 10% like eachother

SMS and WW are visually amazing...they get far too much hate from a graphical standpoint

hirokazu

Gattsu25 said:
why is it the battle screen of BK looks so shitty? bah...they should have either gone pre-rendered all the way or all 3D...this pre-rendered on the map and 3D on the battle field thing should have died with the PSX...especially if you can't get both screens to look even 10% like eachother

Baten Kaitos looks awesome in all the videos i've seen, dunno why it looks like shit in some screenshots though.

and yeah, though i did not like SMS's graphics all that much, there are some very nice looking bits in it, while Zelda has always looked amazing.

the realtime stuff and the pre-rendered background really stick out from each other in this shot.

Gattsu25

Banned
hirokazu, they do in the game as well...i found the 'blend' much better in REmake, though some things still stood out (like the crimson heads or whatever they were called)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
REmake was probably the first Gamecube game that caught my eye. Although it uses pre-rendered backgrounds, it still looked pretty impressive

Wind Waker really floored me when I first played it. Really, it nailed the animated look perfectly, and at times, you forget you're playing a game, not watching an high budget animated movie.

Gattsu25

Banned
also...looks like the thread starter got confused mid-way through his post and included Tales of Symphonia pics (between FZ:GX and FF:CC no less)

Andy787 said:
Those are some absolutely terrible screens. Nice "on3age," dude.

the screens might not look as good because I converted them to jpeg format! But those are the best looking games on PC! Far Cry is the best looking game so far!

Doom_Bringer said:
the screens might not look as good because I converted them to jpeg format! But those are the best looking games on PC! Far Cry is the best looking game so far!

you are forgoting how much money do you need to have that graphics on the pc....... and this thread is about gamecube.....

Gattsu25

Banned
With the exception of 2 of your screens (1 far cry and 1 kotor…could have been 3, but you choose a poor Thief shot) the GC pics in this thread were not “owned” by yours (counting, naturally, that you exclude the BK and ToS pics that were posted by mistake :b)…one could argue it the other way around for some of the GC games.

Still, I'm trying to find a reason for one to post mediocre~good PC game screens in a “Best Gamecube looking” thread. Possiby if you were trying to show that PC games still have a ways to go to catch up to the games being developed on out-dated hardware…if so then I agree with your point, but starting with Deus Ex, Far Cry and Thief; that should be changing soon.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Thsoe PC games do indeed present more advanced visuals than anything you'll find on GC (though not ALL of those games do). However, those specific shots chosen are simply very poor. It has nothing to do with compression quality or anything, but rather, the actual angles used.

Top Bottom