• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Mario Platformer?

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I quickly added up the top votes so far in the thread. Not bothered with all the lower placements. If someone said something was equal, they got a vote each:

1. Yoshi's Island 17
1. SMB3 17
2. SM64 5
3. SMW 4
3. SMB 4
4. SMS 1
4. SMB2 1

I haven't checked them, but if they're not right, they're close to right. Pretty clear it's a two way contest.

EDIT: After Dayton's post, SMB3 actually takes the lead at 18. Just can't be bothered renumbering the list.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Mama Smurf meant to say: said:
1. SMB3 18
2. Yoshi's Island 17
3. SM64 5
4. SMW 4
5. SMB 4
6. SMS 1
7. SMB2 1
8. DK (GB) 1

:D

I am still really annoyed that I missed out on all the "Thursdayton" and "Fridayton" threads when I was recovering from e3.

AniHawk

1. Super Mario Bros. 3
2. Super Mario 64
3. Yoshi's Island

4. Super Mario Bros.
5. Super Mario World

6. Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins
7. Super Mario Sunshine

8. Super Mario USA

Idioteque

1.Super Mario World
2.Super Mario 64
3.Yoshi's Island
4.Super Mario Sunshine
5.Super Mario Brothers
6.Super Mario Brothers 3
7.Super Mario Brothers 2

Tanooki Suit alone makes SMB3 the single greatest game ever created by Nintendo.

Super Mario World always seemed slightly underwhelming to me from an aesthetic viewpoint, kind of plastic-ey. Don't ask me why.

BDGAME

smb3.jpg

2. Yoshi Island

3. Super Mario Word

4. Super Mario 64

5. Super Mario Bros.

6. Super Mario Sunshine

7. Yoshi Story

8. Super Mario Bros USA

Mama Smurf

1. Yoshi's Island 22
2. SMB3 21
3. SMW 8
4. SM64 6
5. SMB 4
6. SMS 1
7. SMB2 1
8. DK (GB) 1

Up to BDGAME.

YI should win for the music alone.

*cue SMB3 fans*

There's obviously a discrepency between people posting in these forums and people buying games. Yoshi's Island was nowhere near that popular when it was released.

Mama Smurf

Instigator said:
There's obviously a discrepency between people posting in these forums and people buying games. Yoshi's Island was nowhere near that popular when it was released.

Oh you think?

My top Mario Platformers:

1. Super Mario Bros.

2. Super Mario Bros. 3

3. Super Mario World

4. Yoshi's Island

5. Super Mario Bros. 2(Japanese)

6. Super Mario Bros. 2

7. Super Mario 64

8. Super Mario Sunshine

9. Super Mario Land 2

10. Super Mario Land

I have Mario 64 ranked so low for the same reasons everybody else mentioned - collecting stars is a pain and the hub overworld is needless and confusing. Also, the game is extremely slow-paced. I figured after 6 years, Mario Sunshine would help fix some of these problems. Alas, it only made them worse, and added a few more problems of its own.

The original Mario Bros. is my fav. because its such a blast to play, even to this day. Controlling Mario in that is so much fun. Just running as fast as you can through a level, trying to be as perfect as possible...there's just no better video game experience for me.

The original SMB. That game changed everything. I never whined, begged and cried for a video game system as much as I whined for an NES so I could get my hands on that game. I was downright obnoxious about the whole thing too. Now that I think about it, I'm shocked my mother didn't arrange a mishap. I know I would have.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Its a shame that super mario sunshine had some the best platforming of any mario game. I wish they had fleshed out the world a little bit more.

Doc Holliday said:
Its a shame that super mario sunshine had some the best platforming of any mario game. I wish they had fleshed out the world a little bit more.
It had some of the best platforming period.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I'm still not sure how Yoshi's Island qualifies as a Mario platformer. It's a great game, yes, but it's a spinoff of the Mario games... sort of like the Warioland titles.

Warioland, Warioland VB, and Warioland 4 are all good, by the way.

DavidDayton said:
I'm still not sure how Yoshi's Island qualifies as a Mario platformer. It's a great game, yes, but it's a spinoff of the Mario games... sort of like the Warioland titles.

Warioland, Warioland VB, and Warioland 4 are all good, by the way.

icon_wario2_aug28,0.jpg

"OH YEAHH!"

Seriously, most underrated game for the GBA. It rocks.

Mama Smurf

DavidDayton said:

It's called Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island.

Maybe it shouldn't be in the Mario series, and I certainly wouldn't put Yoshi's Story in as Stooge did, but officially it is.

I better see a Wario Land on the DS soon. We haven't had one for 4 years now (well...maybe Wario World if all Wario platformers count) and there's nothing in sight. I know WarioWare took off, but they shouldn't abandon the platformers.

Guess I'll just have to put up with a new Mario Bros. and Super Princess Peach...sigh...(kidding)

Tiktaalik

1. Yoshi's Island (still one of the best looking platformers ever)
2. Super Mario 3
3. Super Mario World
4. Super Mario 64
5. Super Mario
6. Super Mario 2
7. Mario Sunshine
I totally forget how all the Mario Lands play. I remember they were pretty good, but I don't remember well enough to put them in the list.

Am I the only one who absolutely hates Mario64?

I bought it for the DS after listening to so many people say what a great game it is and I absolutely can't stand it (and I like the other Mario games I've played). My biggest problem is controlling the thing. You try to move and there's like a "wind up period" until you get up to full speed that I really loathe as it always throws me off if I'm needing to move just a short distance or make a small jump. Also the camera will never stay fixed behind me and I often have to either sit and wait for it to rotate behind me or force it to align...grrr.

I love sidescrollers. I wish there were more good sidescrollers like the older Marios. Too much emphasis on 3d and free moving and whatnot in my opinion.

Sorry for the negativity, but man I really hate that game lol.

Thraktor

Meatpuppet said:
Tanooki Suit alone makes SMB3 the single greatest game ever created by Nintendo.

Super Mario World always seemed slightly underwhelming to me from an aesthetic viewpoint, kind of plastic-ey. Don't ask me why.

Damn, you do have a point with the Tanooki Suit there (altough you failed to mention the all-powerful boot), but I'm still going to have to say I prefer Super Mario World out of the 2D games, I don't quite get what you mean about it being aesthetically underwhelming, it had excellent variety and some wonderful animation (although obviously not up to Yoshi's Island standard, which I am incidentally not considering a Mario game). The no.1 reason I prefer SMW, though, has to be the pace of the game, it's completely scalable to let you take any level at whatever pace you're up to. So, when I first went through the game back in my youth, I would have been taking my time making each jump and defeating every baddie, whereas I go through the same level today and I get the same (if not more) enjoyment from racing through the level at full-speed, trying to beat my best time by perfecting every single movement. I've never actually found a game that I enjoy speed-runs on other that SMW, there's just something about the way the game is designed, that while it's not intended to be played as I'm doing it, it was just so meticulously crafted that it allows me to play however I wish.

Anyway, my top 3:
1) Super Mario 64
2) Super Mario World
3) Super Mario Bros. 3

Socreges

Banned
Instigator said:
You just blew my mind, man

Ironclad

1. Yoshi's Island, easily. It did so many things well, but it was a little too easy. My only problem with the game.
2. SMB 3. This is the pinnacle of traditional Mario platformers.
3. Lost Levels. Now this is how difficult a Mario platformer should be.
4. SMW. A bit of a step backward from SMB 3 but still great.
5. SMB. Classic
6. SM 64. Just so much to do. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
7. SMB 2. Very odd, not even really a mario game but fun nonetheless.

I wouldn't really put Yoshi's Story on the list however. It's best just to forget about it.

maharg

idspispopd
Mama Smurf said:
It's called Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island.

Of course,
992401377-00.jpg

I would tend to agree that neither really qualifies as a Mario game. They used the mario name and universe to give them a better chance on the market, and then they each spawned their own series of games.

gstaff

blackadde said:
SMB3 (best physics, mario feels like he actually has some weight, I love the big-small world)
SMWorld (too floaty but lots of secrets)
SMB1 (classic)
SM64 (I fucking hate collecting stars, but it was pretty amazing for the first couple hours)
SMB2 :)x)

Never played Yoshi's Island and too poor to get ahold of a new memory card for Sunshine.

Loved the floatiness of Mario World, for my money this game had the best controls of the 2D era.

Then Mario 3, Mario 2. Mario 64 is great too. I still wait for when the 3D version of Mario reaches its potential.

Top Bottom