• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Rally games on steam?

Fools idol

Banned
I have some time to kill this week and fancy myself a homage back to the good ol' days of playing Colin McRae Rally on PS1.

Obviously, since then games have come a long way, but I haven't played a racer since 1998. what are the best ones to get in terms of realism, car choice, tracks, and of course, fun?

Hit me GAF.

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Damn, 25 years since you last played a racer?! How sway. Id buy Rush Rally 3. Its cheap and fun. New WRC by Codemasters will be out soon.

diffusionx

Gold Member
DIRT Rally 2 is the best overall package in terms of content, realism, etc. DIRT 4 is a bit more simcade focused and is really good as well.

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
meant to add to the original post, what wheel and pedal set do you guys recommmend?

Holy shitballs. This looks good.

Last edited:

Skifi28

Dirt Rally 2 is the best by far.

Honorable mentions:
*Dirt rally 1 if you want to go back to it for whatever reason, or Dirt 4 which is Dirt rally 1: light.
*Whatever the most recent WRC game is. The latest entries have been quite decent. I've had great fun from 7 onwards.
*Dirt 5, quite arcadey and a bit bland, but also reasonably fun with good visuals and a decent car list.
*Sebastian Loeb rally, a little older and not the highest production values, but still one of my favourites.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Here is my top 3 in reverse order

3rd best - Dirt Rally 2.0
2nd best - Dirt Rally 2.0 with a wheel
Best - Dirt Rally 2.0 with a wheel and VR headset

Guilty_AI

Gold Member
Dirt Rally 2.0 -> Full package Rally Sim. Preferable with a wheel though controllers work too.
Art of Rally -> Arcade-ish. For more casual play, though still challenging and semi-realistic.
Wreckfest -> Rally but with mayhem and destruction
BeamNG -> Not really rally specifically but you can simulate rally racing in a challenging and fun way other sims can't.
Snowrunner -> Off-roading with trucks

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
I got you covered OP because I actually went on a binge of rally games when I started following this year's WRC season in February., I went all the way back to CMR 2.0 and worked my way up to the most recent rally games.

To be quite honest, if you just want a fun, light, arcade-like experience, then you can seek out a copy of CMR 2.0 online because it's still a really fun game to play. CMR 2005 also stood out to me as really fun if you want something with slightly better visuals.

As far as modern rally games go, Dirt Rally 2.0 is king. It's even on sale right now:
It has a great career mode in which you work your way through historical periods of the sport from the classic cars from the 70s all the way to the modern day (at least up until the game was released). It has a wide variety of accessibility and customization options too, which means that it's just as fun to play in VR with a professional racing wheel for complete immersion, as it is if you play it casually on a gamepad.

The official FIA WRC games are also decent, with 8 and 9 probably being the best.
Although if you have the option then I would still go with Dirt Rally 2.0 because it's just a better game. The physics in the WRC series always felt a little wonky for me tbh.

Lastly, there's the Dirt Rally series, but that one has almost nothing to do with traditional WRC sport and it's more like a casual arcade racer that just happens to have various dirt racing cars in it.

Buggy Loop

I sunk hundreds of hours in Dirt Rally 2.0

It’s amazing.

Many good suggestions in thread, let me add in a surprising one :

Richard Burn rally, 19 years old game!

This game from 2004 was way ahead of its time, and of course PC modders kept it relevant and alive with servers, resolution upgrades, hundreds of maps, physics overhaul, etc. Even VR.

This game has better handling physics for tarmac than even Dirt rally 2.0.

GHG

Dirt rally 2.0 or Wrc Generations if you want the most realistic modern rally game. Both of those are best played with a wheel/pedal system.

If you don't care about authenticity and just want a fun off-road racer that can also be played with a controller then Wreckfest.

If you want something a bit different and you're a fan of top-down racers then either of these two:

Fools idol

Banned
alright, bough dirt rally 2 and it plays horrible on a controller but love everything else. What wheel and pedal setup are you guys using for this? theres so many I feel overwhelmed looking 😂😂

Buggy Loop

alright, bough dirt rally 2 and it plays horrible on a controller but love everything else. What wheel and pedal setup are you guys using for this? theres so many I feel overwhelmed looking 😂😂

I would suggest a Moza R9 setup or simagic alpha mini.

Sim for direct drive wheel base in the range of ~10Nm

Maybe R5 kit from Moza as entry level.

Don’t touch Logitech or Thrustmasrter lr even Fanstech, they’ve become obsolete.

I actually went through these games with controllers and sometimes even mouse for steering as I had other priorities, but the plan is to build a rig in next year. One of my friend is fully setup with simagic, it’s amazingly good.

Fools idol

Banned

Don’t touch Logitech or Thrustmasrter lr even Fanstech, they’ve become obsolete.

I actually went through these games with controllers and sometimes even mouse for steering as I had other priorities, but the plan is to build a rig in next year. One of my friend is fully setup with simagic, it’s amazingly good.

This one then? Looks good. Thanks for the tip!

GruntosUK

I use a Fanatec

I use a Fanatec DD with the handbrake, shifter, load cell etc. Why is it obselete?

Richard Burns Rally (using the Rally Sim Fans setup) is the best, it’s totally free, but it’s not on Steam and you need a wheel. There’s tens of cars and hundreds of stages (from poor to outstanding). It’s 15 years old or so and kept alive by modders, so don’t expect amazing visuals but the physics are top notch.

Second for me is Dirt Rally 2.0 followed by WRC Generations, which has amazing stages but is let down by some bugs that unfortunately don’t look like they will be fixed now. It’s one to get cheap (£20 or so). It’s also to only place to drive the current Rally 1 hybrids.

Forza Horizon 5’s new expansion is rally/off road based. It’s arcadey, but great fun.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

I use a Fanatec

I use a Fanatec DD with the handbrake, shifter, load cell etc. Why is it obselete?

Richard Burns Rally (using the Rally Sim Fans setup) is the best, it’s totally free, but it’s not on Steam and you need a wheel. There’s tens of cars and hundreds of stages (from poor to outstanding). It’s 15 years old or so and kept alive by modders, so don’t expect amazing visuals but the physics are top notch.

Second for me is Dirt Rally 2.0 followed by WRC Generations, which has amazing stages but is let down by some bugs that unfortunately don’t look like they will be fixed now. It’s one to get cheap (£20 or so). It’s also to only place to drive the current Rally 1 hybrids.

Forza Horizon 5’s new expansion is rally/off road based. It’s arcadey, but great fun.

Not obsolete in the sense that what you already have is obsolete, but that as a platform now, they got outdone in tech. Fanatec’s big advantage is the 20 or so years or ecosystem, but also what is holding it back.

The quick releases from Moza/Simagic/Simucube are simply superior. With the contact pad, removing the risk of breaking a pin on an expensive wheel, and they’re all compatible between each others, with at worst an adapter on the release. In fact Moza probably has one of the best QR system out there.

Fanatec quick release on CLS DD is plastic I read even? Who thought this was a good idea in any high torque design? Then the metal replacement holds with bolts and has a few degrees of play. Plastic PCB connections, plastic between the motor and the shaft, plastic housing.. yeah..

Anyway, best is to find locally THE place that will sell you the wheel, goes for any brands, ideally do not online. Microcenter sells Moza with 2 years warranty. If you have one of those locally, it’s hard to beat.

If you also want to play on console, Fanatec is the way to go. Buggy Loop is a little out of the loop with the obsolete stuff. Fanatec has cheap wheels with cheap quick releases and expensive wheels with metal quick releases.

Kacho

Dirt Rally 2 is all you really need. There's a sequel coming soon.

WRC is ok with a wheel but it doesn't hold a candle to Dirty Rally 2.

Forza Horizon 5 has a rally DLC but it's very arcadey and ymmv

bender

What time is it?
Dirt and Dirt 2 are awesome but boy do they make me feel inept.

Buy an OG XBox and get Rally Sport Challenge 1 & 2.

Last edited:
I don't have the game but why no love for WRC Generations?
Because it's an ultra budget title that was dumped into the wild and then never updated to fix all the issues? I actually played a few seasons of it, but I'm having a hard time convincing myself to go back and get the platinum.

GruntosUK

Not obsolete in the sense that what you already have is obsolete, but that as a platform now, they got outdone in tech. Fanatec’s big advantage is the 20 or so years or ecosystem, but also what is holding it back.

The quick releases from Moza/Simagic/Simucube are simply superior. With the contact pad, removing the risk of breaking a pin on an expensive wheel, and they’re all compatible between each others, with at worst an adapter on the release. In fact Moza probably has one of the best QR system out there.

Fanatec quick release on CLS DD is plastic I read even? Who thought this was a good idea in any high torque design? Then the metal replacement holds with bolts and has a few degrees of play. Plastic PCB connections, plastic between the motor and the shaft, plastic housing.. yeah..

Anyway, best is to find locally THE place that will sell you the wheel, goes for any brands, ideally do not online. Microcenter sells Moza with 2 years warranty. If you have one of those locally, it’s hard to beat.
I absolutly agree with the quick release yes. I can't count the amount of times the wheel has been knocked, or just loosened itself, needing me to re-tighten it. Not a deal breaker but not the best.

TheMan

Somebody needs to get the rights to Richard burns rally and remaster that shit. Some still regard that game as the pinnacle of rally sims

Last edited:
Top Bottom