• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best stories in videogames?

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Good stories that happen in games are rare, but yes my friends it's that time of year again where we discuss good stories in videogames.

I don't think a good story is the most important part of videogame but it definitely helps in many genres. I will give some opinions later on but I will get us started.

Red Dead Redemption

RDR2 was awesome, but RDR is still the king.

b8hdl5qreh7cnce6ste8.jpg

Flabagast

SOMA.

Nothing else comes close. And I mean literally nothing, even after playing nearly every beknown good « story game » in existence, of every generation.

I hope a story as strong as this one will come out in gaming at least in the next 20 years, whatever form it takes. But unfortunately I am really not sure that will happen. It is that powerful a story.

Dr.Morris79

SOMA.

Nothing else comes close. And I mean literally nothing, even after playing nearly every beknown good « story game » in existence, of every generation.

I hope a story as strong as this one will come out in gaming at least in the next 20 years, whatever form it takes. But unfortunately I am really not sure that will happen. It is that powerful a story.
THIS! Flabagast speaks the truth. And it's highly doubtful, sadly.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
All the Halo campaigns
Quantum Break
Prey 2017
Deus Ex Human Revolution and Mankind Divided
Gears of War All
Assassin's Creed 2 Brotherhood and Odyessy
Horizon Zero Dawn
Fallout 3
Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice
Dishonored All and DLC

That's what I can think of at the moment, but I know I'm forgetting a bunch.

Mozzarella

Planescape Torment (S+) (Worldbuilding-Writing-Plot complexity)
Knights of the Old Republic (S) (Plot complexity-characters)
Witcher 3 DLCs (S) (Writing-Directing-Characters-Worldbuilding)
SOMA (S) (Plot Complexity)
Red Dead Redemption 2 (S) (Directing-Characters)
Suikoden 2 (S) (Characters-Plot Complexity)
Metal Gear Solid (A+) (Directing-Plot Complexity - Characters)
Silent Hill 2 (S) (Characters - Symbolism - Plot Complexity)
Outer Wilds (S) (Mystery)
Bioshock (A+) (Characters-Worldbuilding)
The Last of Us 1 (A+) (Characters-Directing)
Nier Automata (A+) (Directing-Plot Complexity)
Portal 2 (A) (Writing)
Mass Effect (A) (Worldbuilding- Characters)
Mafia (A+) (Characters-Writing)
VTMB (A) (Writing)
FFIX (A) (Characters)
Witcher 1 (A+) (Worldbuilding-Writing-Characters)
Fallout (A) (Worldbuilding-Writing)
Mask of the Betrayer (S) (Plot Complexity-Writing-Characters)
Max Payne 2 (A) (Characters-Directing)
Disco Elysium (S) (Writing-Worldbuilding)
Dishonored (A) (Worldbuilding)
Bloodborne (A) (Worldbuilding)

And there's few more, but the problem with deciding is that its hard to compare games in this matter when different games tell their stories differently, but i had put a tier near each title if you want my biased opinion, and i have attached what makes it stand out.

Acclaimed titles i Haven't Played:
Final Fantasy VI
Legacy of Kain
Xenogears

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
- MGS 1-3
- Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Ocarina of Time, The Windwaker, BotW
- Suikoden: 1-4 (5 didn't move me)
- Tales of the Abyss
- RE: 1,2,3,4...and 0
- Chrono Trigger

and recently enjoyed Trials of Mana

F31 Leopard

My personal favorites:
NIER (Papa)
Xenoblade Chronicles X (main & side)
Xenoblade 1
Xenogears
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy Tactics
Final Fantasy 6
Mass Effect 1
Silent Hill 2
Shenmue 1 and 2
AI the Somnium Files
Witcher 3

Bankai

Bioshock
The Last of Us
DEUS Ex
What Remains of Edith Finch
Spec OPS the line
Oxenfree
Hellblade

Tell some great stories, all in there own way.

Zug

Planescape : Torment and NwN2 : Mask of the betrayer both stand out for me when it comes to writing, characters, plot.

In a very different way, the environmental storytelling of Dark Souls/Bloodborne did really hit the right note for me.

Rudius

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time. Perfect story: simple, conected to the gameplay and overall theme, well executed, good duration.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Yakuza games have usually great stories with great characters and some bombastic\unreapistic mkments, but it is part of the charm.
Yep. The Judgment games also have great stories, maybe even better than the Yakuza ones since they are more grounded and got rid of all the bullshit (no rubber bullets).

Last edited:

GymWolf

Yep. The Judgment games also have great stories, maybe even better than the Yakuza ones since they are more grounded and got rid of all the bullshit (no rubber bullets).
Not for me, yakuza is still the best, i don't care about judgement characters as much as i care about yakuza characters, like not even close.

And the villain are just better in yakuza, but i still have to play judg2.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Not for me, yakuza is still the best, i don't care about judgement characters as much as i care about yakuza characters, like not even close.
Give them more time (games) and I'm sure you'll end up liking them.

But come on, not even Kaito? Dude's a total bro.

And the villain are just better in yakuza,
For me they were hit and miss. Yakuza 0 and 2 had great villains. The others were quite forgettable for me, specially the one in 5 (which otherwise is probably my fav Yakuza game).

but i still have to play judg2.
Do it! Some say it's better than the first one in everything but the story. I disagree, both game's stories are great imo.

GymWolf

Give them more time (games) and I'm sure you'll end up liking them.

But come on, not even Kaito? Dude's a total bro.

For me they were hit and miss. Yakuza 0 and 2 had great villains. The others were quite forgettable for me, specially the one in 5 (which otherwise is probably my fav Yakuza game).

Do it! Some say it's better than the first one in everything but the story. I disagree, both game's stories are great imo.
I like kaito, but when the sidecharacter is more likeable than the protagonist, something went wrong in the process.

I still have to play yakuza 3-4-5, only played 0-1-2-6-7.

I fear for the other 3 to be TOO OLD on a gameplay level\mechanics to really enjoy them, especially when the latest yakuza i player were all in the new dragon engine.

TintoConCasera

I like kaito, but when the sidecharacter is more likeable than the protagonist, something went wrong in the process.
Tak is a cool dude too, but I think I liked him better in the sequel. There's also a new sidecharacter which has a great chemistry with him.

I still have to play yakuza 3-4-5, only played 0-1-2-6-7.

I fear for the other 3 to be TOO OLD on a gameplay level\mechanics to really enjoy them, especially when the latest yakuza i player were all in the new dragon engine.
My man wtf, wasn't 6 a bit weird without having played 5? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

4 and 5 play great imo, but 3's combat (at least in the remaster) is a bit busted, since enemies guard too much and battles can be a bit of a chore. 4 and specially 5 tho, great games, with 5 being at the same level as 0 when it comes to story, side content and minigames.

GymWolf

Tak is a cool dude too, but I think I liked him better in the sequel. There's also a new sidecharacter which has a great chemistry with him.

My man wtf, wasn't 6 a bit weird without having played 5? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

4 and 5 play great imo, but 3's combat (at least in the remaster) is a bit busted, since enemies guard too much and battles can be a bit of a chore. 4 and specially 5 tho, great games, with 5 being at the same level as 0 when it comes to story, side content and minigames.
No, i loved 6 and the plot is kinda separated from the old games since you are in a new town searching for aruka that i already knew from y1-2.

TintoConCasera

No, i loved 6 and the plot is kinda separated from the old games since you are in a new town searching for aruka that i already knew from y1-2.
It's quite connected to 5 to the point of starting right were that game ends. :goog_relieved:

Guess it didn't matter too much tho since you were able to enjoy it. Anyway, don't skip on 5, great game specially if you enjoy the sidecontent in the Yakuza games.

Top Bottom