• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Video Game Of The Decade (2010-19) As Voted By Metacritic Users

nani17

are in a big trouble
10. Dark Souls
9. GTA V
8. God Of War
7. Skyrim
6. Bloodborne
5. Mass Effect 2
4. Red Dead Redemption 2
3. The Witcher 3
2. Zelda Breath Of The Wild

1. The Last Of Us

Well, what would you replace or rearrange in this list?

Source

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Solid list is solid. I think Breath of the Wild is the greatest game ever made and there are some real gems on there. I liked Shovel/Hollow Knight a bit more than RDR2 but I would be remiss not to acknowledge the product deserves its praise even if i feel like there are things that just take me out of the game.

Its a bit on the nose but there is not a glaring fault there.

Last edited:

MrRenegade

Banned
10. Dark Souls
9. GTA V
8. God Of War
7. Skyrim
6. Bloodborne
5. Mass Effect 2
4. Red Dead Redemption 2
3. The Witcher 3
2. Zelda Breath Of The Wild

1. The Last Of Us

Well, what would you replace or rearrange in this list?

Source
RDR2, Zelda and Skyrim can do a backflip off a cliff. Btw metacritic scores are magic.

yodine53

Fantastic list, almost the same as Gamesradar+'s. Played TLoU (for the 6th time) a few weeks ago and the storytelling blew my mind. I just couldn't believe it. This story is very, very special because when i play or watch something i already know, it isn't THAT exciting.

Cutty Flam

Banned
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is worthy of being maybe around the five mark to eight mark, but as amazing as it delivered, it didn't leave an incredible impression upon me. I felt more from playing Resident Evil 6 as flawed of a game as it is. BOTW is a superb entry in the series, but it could have done godly things imo if the direction was just a bit more varied; nothing against Hidemaro Fujibayashi but I think he failed to capitalize on making BOTW a legendary game not just for Zelda fans, but all gamers

For one, the side quests could have brought more depth to characters, exploration, and insight to story and lore as well as been a bit more accessible (so many of them do not occur naturally or smoothly, and many will probably be sought after finishing the game). In Majora's Mask, the sidequests supplemented the story and the characters to PERFECTION and brought everything full circle. It was the work of genius no less. In BOTW, the side quests largely felt like filler, mostly inconsequential to the main story if we're going to be honest.

All that said, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is well worthy of mention in game of the decade. I haven't felt that enchanted and immersed since the N64 days, the game is magically outstanding even though I criticize it and hold it to such high standards, it's a game that I can talk about on and on because it's a work of art. Just not a masterpiece, it falls short of that

GHG

MistyScaryCornsnake-size_restricted.gif

GooseMan69

The ever so divisive RDR2 coming in 4th, with a 97 metacritic score and 8.1 user score in the era of review bombing.

Also, I see people are still pretending to like The Last of Us after 7 years. I’m sure people will pretend to love part 2 as well. Naughty Dog and Sony have everyone fooled! Remarkable.

D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
All the games on that list are all so highly praised so it's hard to be surprised or upset.

Last edited by a moderator:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I mean sure... I like ds2 the most but ds and bb are good to be on the list.
The Last Gardian deserves it. Maybe in place of ta v. And replace rdr2 with another souls or sekiro.

Handel

Another list with no Xbox exclusives. What the hell Microsoft....
Halo : Reach deserves to be in the conversation for best of the decade, but that's the only definitive one in the AAA space which are the only games these GOTD lists care about. Ori and Cuphead are amazing indies. Forza Horizon 4 could also be in that conversation but we all know sports titles are invisible to the people making these lists.

Metnut

Really nice list. Maybe a Microsoft exclusive can make the list in the next decade!

Wanted to edit to make a little less salty but apparently I’m not able to.

Onky game I really loved that didn’t make the list was Horizon Zero Dawn. Not sure which game is remove though. Maybe Skyrim.

IKSTUGA

I just don't get the love for BOTW. Like, where's the hook? My gripes with the game so far (~7 hours in):
- random difficulty (some fuckers just one shot you out of nowhere)
- light on story
- empty world
- the usual sense of progression from previous Zeldas is gone
- breakable weapons

It's pretty and plays well better than RDR2, but that's about it. I'm a huge Nintendo fanboy, but the praise that BOTW gets just baffles me.

Saruhashi

Banned
Pretty much a list of 10 exceptional games. Can't argue with it.

I think if you liked video games and were given a console and those 10 games and that was to do you for the rest of your life then you'd be having some great times.

Terenty

Dark Souls i will allow sure, its a masterpiece no questions asked. The amount of clones it spawned is ridiculous.

Rdr 2 too, the best realised virtual world hands down.

Witcher 3 is questionable.

Everything else is just bad taste pop culture nothing more.

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned
I just don't get the love for BOTW. Like, where's the hook? My gripes with the game so far (~7 hours in):
- random difficulty (some fuckers just one shot you out of nowhere)
- light on story
- empty world
- the usual sense of progression from previous Zeldas is gone
- breakable weapons

It's pretty and plays well better than RDR2, but that's about it. I'm a huge Nintendo fanboy, but the praise that BOTW gets just baffles me.

I think the conversation goes around and around so much that it just gets boring to repeat the same points.

A lot of people love BotW. That's just the way it is.
When you look at what videogames are, and have been, I think the attraction is clear.
Whether it's one or two specific things or the full package that people like even a glance at reviews from big industry critics, independent youtube critics and players of the game seems to show that the game has a lot of aspects that people enjoy.

That could be some guy trying to break the game down from a design perspective:

Or it could be some guy just having fun with the game:

An extremely brief search on the internet shows almost instantly why people love the game so much.

It actually makes less sense to me that anyone who is into gaming somehow couldn't "get" why people love this game.
Sure, you can understand why you don't particularly like Game X but to not be able to understand why others love it? Weird.

It baffles me that you are baffled. :)

Decent list, though a top 10 for 10 years is bound to omit some all-time greats. Personally I think Witcher 3, Skyrim, and ME 2 don't belong anywhere near a top 10 for their own respective years, let alone top games of the decade.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
TLOU had a cool story and that was it.
BOTW should have been 1
DS as nothing to do on this list
DEATH STRANDING should have been 2

This is the list I texted to a couple friends before the new year actually began.

#10 - Have a tough time with the 9th. I would say Nier Automata most likely.
#9 - Final Fantasy XV
#8 - Resident Evil 2 Remake
#7 - Grand Theft Auto 5
#6 - Mass Effect 2
#5 - FF14: Shadowbringers
#4 - Zelda: Breath of the Wild
#3 - God of War (2018)
#2 - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
#1 - Dark Souls

I truly think Dark Souls should be #1 so I am glad most agree it is in top 10. Not many games basically create a new genre anymore... even though technically Demon Souls started it :/

Top Bottom