• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After 200,000 Votes, Game Informer Readers Name Zelda: Ocarina of Time as the Greatest Game of All Time

Moriah20

This is something I’ll never understand.
20fps. 17fps on PAL consoles.
It does not hold up, never did, go play it today and see for yourself. It’s just nostalgia, it really plays quite badly, no exaggeration. It’s okay to let it go.

ironic to start with "i'll never understand" and then finish with "its okay to let go"

its ok to let go Fredrik, you don't need to understand everything.

Fredrik

ironic to start with "i'll never understand" and then finish with "its okay to let go"

its ok to let go Fredrik, you don't need to understand everything.
I just don’t understand why it’s so praised. I was there, I played it when it released, or tried to but eventually dropped it because it was a slide show. Finished it the first time on 3DS where it was at least 30fps. Good game, 8/10, not even on my top 50

Last edited:

Same ol G

I just don’t understand why it’s so praised. I was there, I played it when it released, or tried to but eventually dropped it because it was a slide show. Finished it the first time on 3DS where it was at least 30fps. Good game, 8/10, not even on my top 50
Yeah sure, in a time where 3d games were new you already had such high standards that you couldn't stand the choppy framerate.
Sure Jan GIF

3DS version is still mighty fine. Can't believe that one is 13 years old by now also, fuck. Make that one HD already and it will be the best again.

Last edited:
Hmmm no, it's not the greatest game of all time. Horrible 20fps performance, basic gameplay and shoestring story. I played it for the first time on 3DS and while I enjoyed it, it hasn't really held up that well.

REDRZA MWS

Ocarina of Tone was certainly the best 3D Zelda ever. Honestly I’d love a complete Nintendo remake for the next switch. Absolutely one of the Goats.

Hard for me to say “The best ever” about a single game. There are a lot of them over many years. Too many to list.

Jakk

RDR2 beating Super Mario 64.

The ultimate fun game vs the most boring one.
Weak. Try harder.
Why are you so triggered? The poster you replied to literally just said he thought RDR2 was an incredibly fun and engaging game and I couldn't agree more. With all due respect, Super Mario vs RDR2 is not even a question for me. Deal with it.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Why are you so triggered? The poster you replied to literally just said he thought RDR2 was an incredibly fun and engaging game and I couldn't agree more. With all due respect, Super Mario vs RDR2 is not even a question for me. Deal with it.
Because RDR2 isn’t fun lol. Bad controls, mission designs from the early 2000s, 200ms input latency, everything is painfully slow and awkward. Would be awesome as a western flick, not so much as a game.

Mario 64 requires you to actually move around and pay attention to what’s going on. It also doesn’t make you fall asleep because you get to the meat of the game immediately. I shot my gun twice in the first two hours of RDR2.

RDR2 is a lot of things but fun is most definitely not one of them.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Surprised by it, u would think the minecraft/fortnite kids would at this point be the main targets for those websites.

As somebody that experienced OOT at launch, nothing comes close to what that game delivered so i agree with it.

Wildebeest

Surprised by it, u would think the minecraft/fortnite kids would at this point be the main targets for those websites.

As somebody that experienced OOT at launch, nothing comes close to what that game delivered so i agree with it.
What's a website grandpa? No wait, don't bother explaining what a website is, you look so old you might die from the strain.

Gaiff

If it were a Tik Tok vote, Minecraft, Roblox, or Fortnite would have been the winner.

Jakk

Because RDR2 isn’t fun lol. Bad controls, mission designs from the early 2000s, 200ms input latency, everything is painfully slow and awkward. Would be awesome as a western flick, not so much as a game.

Mario 64 requires you to actually move around and pay attention to what’s going on. It also doesn’t make you fall asleep because you get to the meat of the game immediately. I shot my gun twice in the first two hours of RDR2.

Alright, next time when I'm doing something, I'm going to ask you if I'm actually having fun or not, can't decide for myself. Some people on here are just something else I swear.

Gaiff

Alright, next time when I'm doing something, I'm going to ask you if I'm actually having fun or not, can't decide for myself. Some people on here are just something else I swear.
Hey, I’m sure going to the dentist or being stuck in traffic is fun for some people.

OOT was good, for its time, Skyrim is still relevant today as even modern Bethesda stuff doesn’t come close to scratching the same itch Skyrim did.

Majora’s Mask was probably the better N64 Zelda though
Hard disagree. Majorca’s Mask was a quick and dirty sequel reusing a bunch of the same assets. Good for sure, nowhere near the level of OoT

Gaiff

Hard disagree. Majorca’s Mask was a quick and dirty sequel reusing a bunch of the same assets. Good for sure, nowhere near the level of OoT
Except that Majora’s Mask was better than OOT at pretty much everything. Wasn’t as groundbreaking for sure, but it took everything OOT did and made it better.

Last edited:

Jakk

Hey, I’m sure going to the dentist or being stuck in traffic is fun for some people.
Maybe it is. You are the one acting like fun isn't subjective. However, saying this in connection with RDR2 is bizarre. It has very high user and critic ratings everywhere.

Cygnus X-1

Ocarina of Time is Timeless, so I am not surprised.

Nevertheless, it's still amazing to see it ranking at the top after 26 years. It's a long time ago.

Interesting. Please tell us more O Wise One who decides what is fun or not.

JFC dude 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
Congrats to the winner, it absolutely blew my mind when it came out. However I would make an argument that Link to the past is the better game looking back.

Skyrim? No idea how that came that far…

Gaiff

Interesting. Please tell us more O Wise One who decides what is fun or not.

JFC dude 🤦‍♂️
Notice how almost no other game gets the amount of flak RDR2 does? Any thread about it always has an army of people calling it a boring slog. Never seen that happen with any other game.

Except that Majora’s Mask was better than OOT at pretty much everything. Wasn’t as groundbreaking for sure, but it took everything OOT did and made it better.
Well I agree they did an admirably good job, only being given 18 months to make a sequel to one of the greatest games of all time.

I guess it’s all down to personal taste. I don’t think any of the dungeons are as good as OoT, nor is most of the music or the field design. I the Skull Kid/ apocalypse theme was cool but beyond that I didn’t care for the time limit gimmick nor the transformations.

It’s by no means a bad game, but I’ve tried to replay it and just don’t much care for it.

Last edited:

Esppiral

Nostalgia IS a hell of a drug, wait until we are old enough or we passed away and the youngers vote IS what matters, fornite and Roblox Will be the BEST games ever.

Notice how almost no other game gets the amount of flak RDR2 does? Any thread about it always has an army of people calling it a boring slog. Never seen that happen with any other game.
No, I don’t find myself sifting through internet message boards with confirmation bias to affirm my own opinions. That’s not what I come here for.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Eh, I mean Witcher 3 exists.
OOT is a much better game.

Just look at the gameplay of each game: in OOT, you get to fight enemies that are kind of a puzzle, platforming sections, puzzles, cool items like the bow, the boomerang or the hook shot that are usable both in combat and exploration, tons of optional stuff to discover on your own, cool collectibles like the heart pieces or the skulltulas, multiple minigames, 9 temples each with it's own theme, atmosphere and unique mechanics, and each with an unique final boss that's also a puzzle.

Meanwhile all you do in TW3 is slash at monsters until they die, use the witcher senses, play cards and follow quest markers. Really, it's sad that modern games aren't able to even come close to what OOT was doing more than 20 years ago.

Gaiff

Well I agree they did an admirably good job, only being given 18 months to make a sequel to one of the greatest games of all time.

I guess it’s all down to personal taste. I don’t think any of the dungeons are as good as OoT, nor is most of the music or the field design. I the Skull Kid/ apocalypse theme was cool but beyond that I didn’t care for the time limit gimmick nor the transformations.

It’s by no means a bad game, but I’ve tried to replay it and just don’t much care for it.
I don't know how anyone can play MM and OOT and come away with the opinion that OOT has better dungeons. Almost all OOT dungeons suffer from the same thing: the moment you find the item, the entire dungeon starts revolving around it and almost every relevant puzzle involves a very obvious use of the item whether it'd be the Megaton Hammer, Fairy's Bow, Hookshot, or any of the other. Contrast that with MM where you only find different arrow types in the dungeons and have to make clever use of your masks and a bountiful of items to figure out what to do. Not to mention that the dungeons in MM are much less reliant on a single gimmick to traverse. That said, that's a problem with almost every Zelda game, not just OOT.

There are only four dungeons but I haven't got the faintest idea how one can say that any dungeon in OOT is better than Stone Tower Temple. They're so basic, simplistic, and uncreative in comparison.

But I guess some people enjoy the more simple and straightforward approach of the dungeons in OOT.

OOT is a much better game.

Just look at the gameplay of each game: in OOT, you get to fight enemies that are kind of a puzzle, platforming sections, puzzles, cool items like the bow, the boomerang or the hook shot that are usable both in combat and exploration, tons of optional stuff to discover on your own, cool collectibles like the heart pieces or the skulltulas, multiple minigames, 9 temples each with it's own theme, atmosphere and unique mechanics, and each with an unique final boss that's also a puzzle.

Meanwhile all you do in TW3 is slash at monsters until they die, use the witcher senses, play cards and follow quest markers. Really, it's sad that modern games aren't able to even come close to what OOT was doing more than 20 years ago.
Witcher 3 is an amazing game. OoT is also an amazing game. It doesn’t sound like you much care for Witcher 3, but I greatly enjoyed both of them and would put both in my Top 5 all time along with TTYD, Mario 64 and maybe BotW. It’s okay to like both things. But it’s also down to personal taste.

Last edited:
RDR2 is a boring game that does nothing except make you feel like you're getting older.

Snl Fight Me GIF by Saturday Night Live
Clearly you need to talk it out some more, and you might have some PTSD about it. That’s ok. Plenty of resources out there for that. I wish you well!

Last edited:
I'd be hard pressed to even replay OOT anymore.

Games are a product of the times, but they don't have the same longevity as movies or books.

Let's not let nostalgia rob a finer game of it's acclaim and respect.

OOT < BOTW < TOTK

OOT was the best game ever during that window of time. It shouldn't even be a contender anymore.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Witcher 3 is an amazing game. OoT is also an amazing game. It doesn’t sound like you much care for Witcher 3, but I greatly enjoyed both of them and would put both in my Top 5 all time along with TTYD, Mario 64 and maybe BotW. It’s okay to like both things. But it’s also down to personal taste.
Good for you. But my point was that OOT puts modern games to shame.

Top Bottom