• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After 200,000 Votes, Game Informer Readers Name Zelda: Ocarina of Time as the Greatest Game of All Time

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Rosalinda from Unicorn Overlord, a newly released SRPG from Vanillaware. Highly recommended, btw!

5YYPROCSK5J--Mx9_fZYOi8Ro4DtzBTf_UyAl_1EHYh919Mt-WSYTjXyCIP0E5agK_nxtYEc8b6j-w=s640-nd-v1-rwa
But the one you had before... The prettiest one?

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Every year, every month, and every day this decade, another Gen Z individual enters their mid 20s. It's already their time man.

I can already tell there's going to be gigantic levels of copium and out of touch takes on this forum sometime soon. I think that will be year when Minecraft wins best game of all time on multiple outlets over OoT and Mario.
Mid twenties is still child like imo. Especially these days when most are still at home and have no real life experience

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
These “greatest of” lists are always based on what videogame appeared in the last decade or so, and so it does a good job of reflecting current opinion, yet also greatly ignores most of the medium’s history. This makes the whole point of a “greatest videogames” article largely pointless.

No surprise about Zelda, I would expect either that or Final Fantasy, although it’s possible that FF’s Star has faded a little in recent years. At least we have an obligatory mention of Pac-Man and Tetris.

I'm actually ok with this OoT is the best Zelda game by far and is in my top 3 ever. Super Mario 64 losing to RDR2 is just a complete travesty.

Perrott

Gold Member
A borderline unplayable game by today's standards... the best of all time? Doubt it.

Tetris or several classic Super Mario titles shit all over it, and are just as enjoyable and brilliant today as they were back then.

OOT was good, for its time, Skyrim is still relevant today as even modern Bethesda stuff doesn’t come close to scratching the same itch Skyrim did.

Majora’s Mask was probably the better N64 Zelda though

Sophist

If you could play one video game only in your life, which one it would be? For a long time i thought the answer was Mario 64; the definitive game that gives the best overall picture of video gaming. Today i hesitate with Minecraft.

Perrott

Gold Member
2018's Red Dead Redemption 2? 2022's Elden Ring? Really? Not saying that they aren't good games but to be considered the greatest of all time?
Arguably the best games by two of the finest game development studios around, so why not?

Red Dead Redemption 2 in particular absolutely deserves that spot just based on the how it was able to successfully deliver upon the massive scope of what Rockstar set themselves out to achieve. There just isn't any game out there as big and yet as masterfully handcrafted and uncompromised as RDR2.

When i saw Spiderman beat Final Fantasy VI, i checked out. Spiderman, while excellent, is a throw away game that people will forget. FFVI is a timeless classic with music, characters and a story that have withstood the test of time. Nearly 30 years to be exact.

Console games? I'm okay with OoT being the overall best game. PC games? That belongs to world of Warcraft. And somewhere in the middle is halo Combat evolved.
🫳✨
🎤

What a Joke always these overrated Nintendo games.Every Final Fantasy game is way better than Zelda.Chrono trigger and Cross is way better than Zelda.Dragon Quest 8 way better than Zelda.For example Final Fantasy 6 is so much better than any Zelda game that it is a joke to compare it to Zelda. Only the music is enough to destroy Zelda. Nintendo Games always gets the extra nostalgia points.Always overrated.PlayStation always gets called out when the 3 or 4 Uncharted releases. for making always the same game. at the same time the ones calling out are playing their 20 th Mario, Pokémon, animal crossing and Zelda game

Last edited:

Fredrik

This is something I’ll never understand.
20fps. 17fps on PAL consoles.
It does not hold up, never did, go play it today and see for yourself. It’s just nostalgia, it really plays quite badly, no exaggeration. It’s okay to let it go.

Everyone will obviously have their own opinions on this, but no sensible person should be mad about OoT being voted the GOAT. For its time, nothing came close to how epic that game was.

Even then I found it plodding.

Also, Baldur's Gate 3 was robbed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom