• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Way to Patent and Create a Product ?

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I have an idea for something that doesn’t exist that would be very useful to people.

However, I don’t know the process on how to patent the idea, and then take this idea to create prototypes, then find a potential investor.

I know it’s kind of crazy to ask here or the internet but I wasn’t sure if anyone here knew the best way to do this process considering I’m a broke ass.

The last great idea I had was literally Uber eats, door dash, etc 3 years before it became a thing but everyone told me it’d be too crazy/hard to do. I don’t want to sleep on another idea, this time a product, not a service, and wish I had been the first to do it.

Any help is appreciated!

Biff

How much cash do you have upfront that you are willing to invest to get this off the ground? Because your recommendations will differ wildly based on whether you are trying to do this with $100 (impossible) or $10k (probably enough for a patent lawyer's retainer fee).

Not to burst your bubble, but 90% of the value of an idea is the actual execution to get it off the ground and bring it into reality. 10% (probably too generous) is the idea itself.

Btw - Grubhub was founded in 2004. Are you saying you had the idea for mobile delivery in 2001? The reason it took so long for this existing idea to enter commercial reality is because many people had the idea, but no one had figured out how to do it profitably, and therefore no investors were willing to fund the millions of dollars required to get it off the ground.

If you want to PM your idea privately, I can give you my brutally honest opinion on whether it is worth pursuing, or not. I don't have the time nor capital nor interest to steal your idea. Trust me on that lol.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
How much cash do you have upfront that you are willing to invest to get this off the ground? Because your recommendations will differ wildly based on whether you are trying to do this with $100 (impossible) or $10k (probably enough for a patent lawyer's retainer fee).

Not to burst your bubble, but 90% of the value of an idea is the actual execution to get it off the ground and bring it into reality. 10% (probably too generous) is the idea itself.

Btw - Grubhub was founded in 2004. Are you saying you had the idea for mobile delivery in 2001? The reason it took so long for this existing idea to enter commercial reality is because many people had the idea, but no one had figured out how to do it profitably, and therefore no investors were willing to fund the millions of dollars required to get it off the ground.

If you want to PM your idea privately, I can give you my brutally honest opinion on whether it is worth pursuing, or not. I don't have the time nor capital nor interest to steal your idea. Trust me on that lol.

Messaged. Let me know what you think.

Tams

You need something that actually works first. And to then prove it.

Sure, that also means that others can steal your idea once you release it, but being first to market is very important and will help with patent applications and investment.

To be honest, in this day and age there are no original ideas left. If they haven't been tapped, it's likely because it doesn't work, isn't worth the investment, or the funds aren't there for it. A few slip through the gaps.

Last edited:

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
You need something that actually works first. And to then prove it.

Sure, that also means that others can steal your idea once you release it, but being first to market is very important and will help with patent applications and investment.

To be honest, in this day and age there are no original ideas left. If they haven't been tapped, it's likely because it doesn't work, isn't worth the investment, or the funds aren't there for it. A few slip through the gaps.
15 years of shark tank says otherwise. A lot of successful inventions funded on the show.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
You draw out your idea and then write it up and its design features that make it unique. Then you get a lawyer familiar with patent law and pay for their services to help you rite your patent.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Are you sure it doesn't exist? Like, super, super sure? Have you checked around the world? Most people who tend to have a great idea don't really put the hard yards into researching whether it's already been made or not. Not suggesting that's you, but also advising that if you haven't spent a good long while researching in your relevant industries across the world, then go and do that before thinking about anything else.

If you come back empty, then turn to the raising of cash. You're going to need thousands to both develop the concept properly, and then money to go to the patent office with it.

Last edited:

Tams

15 years of shark tank says otherwise. A lot of successful inventions funded on the show.

Really?

Ever considered that they had to go on Shark Tank/Dragon's Den to get anywhere?

Also, name one invention on them that really mean innovative.

sharp weiner

Neo Member
I have a machine learning “idea” that I have the drawings for but need to write up the patent application. Would like to know this as well.

Solarstrike

Gold Member
Same here as i have a few ideas. Like, how did your idea(s) progress in terms of a patent, physical prototyping, etc. Any update OP? Apologies for necroing the thread

Last edited:

WitchHunter

Banned

People don't even have any ideas. This blatant bullshit, that ideas mean shit, is fuelled by the monkeys in suits. They don't have any ideas. They want your ideas, steal it, then profit from it. That's the reality. These same monkeys hammer into people that patenting something is EVIL...

During the pandemic I had an idea for an app where you could give change to hobos with your bank card 😄
You can turn your own phone into a terminal, so if the hobo is well prepared...

How do you help someone out who can't take a contactless payment and there's nowhere nearby to buy them something they need.
In China there are beggars with QR code bowls/mobile payment.

Solarstrike

Gold Member
Here in the uk, I don't think I've used cash in a couple of years.

The world is going cashless in the next 5-10 years, it seems. Same here in the States, I haven't had or use any physical cash since a few years now. Can't remember the last time I seen a $20 bill. Everything one needs can be ordered to your doorstep. From medications to food, clothing, and water/drinks (even alcohol if one chooses).

Top Bottom