• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best way to upscale 240p contents to 4k resolution?

What is the best result for you?

• Method 1

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Method 2

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Method 3

• Method 4

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Method 5

• Method 6

• It's better to try something else

Votes: 15 62.5%
  • Method 7

• Method 8

• Method 9

• Method 10

• Method 11

• Method 12

• Method 13

• Method 14

• Method 15

• Method 16

• Method 17

• Method 18

• Total voters

Skifi28

When I saw this bumped, I was expecting star wars jokes.

w0kCMYn.gif

Hello! 🙂

I posted the AviSynth scripts used for each video on YouTube in the comment section.

I know, I cooked lots of strange things! 😄 But I tried each time to get the right visual alchemy.

The problem is that I tried to upscale 480p contents in parallel with all these methods adapted, but sometimes it was good with 240p resolution and not with 480p, other times it was the opposite.

My goal was to have something which is good with all contents, but it's complicated.

I was going on a new thing, it was very great with 480p contents, but a bit artificial and unatural with pixel art contents.

And then, I compare with the script of the Method n° 7, and I think it's great! :messenger_smiling:

You have chosen the Method n° 7, so I think I will keep it :messenger_winking:

(the only problem with this method is that there is more ringing)

Thank you very much everybody for your votes! (y)

Oups! In fact... I just noticed that it wasn't for Method n°7 that people voted, but for "It's better to try something else" "pie_tears_joy:

But it would be great if somebody could propose something with pictures... :pie_winking:

I'm sure that some people are better than me for this kind of things.

In fact, as I said above, my first goal is to have something great with 480p contents, but ideally it would be great if it could be great with 240p contents to.

With 3D cinematics, it's not really a problem, but with pixel art games it is, because the aspect was so linked to the CRT technology and in the other hand we are today so used to the raw aspect too with the modern pixel art games, that it's a bit complicated to find the right balance.

I wanted something which is great with everything, but maybe it's impossible...
So I focused one last time exclusively on what I want for 480p... and I think it's great! :pie_grinning_big_eyes:

With 480p it's great... with 240p contents, I need your opinions :pie_thinking:

Thank you very much! :pie_ssmiling:

With cinematics, I think it's good!
With Super Nes games, I have a doubt... Except for Super Castlevania IV ! I think it's super great with this one! :pie_smiling:

digdug2

Glad you found a method that makes you happy. I have a bunch of old DVDs that will never see an official HD release. I have tried different ways to upscale them but could never get it to work satisfactorily.

Thanks! :messenger_winking:

There is just one problem with the Nnedi3 filter that I used (watch where I put the red circles) : :messenger_confused:

hsZgEqZ.png

As you can see, it creates some kind of seperations between pixels, whereas it should be like that:

IXSImPe.png

Maybe it is only a little drawback, I don't know, but as usual, it's not perfect! :messenger_smirking:

But otherwise, I like the image with my script (I wrote it in the comment section of my last video)!
Nothing amazing with the script, but as always, I just tried to cook something that could be satisfying visually :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

But yes, I understand your problem! It's hard to find the perfect method! :messenger_confused:
Even with AI upscaling it isn't perfect.

I tried so many things too. Nothing works like the CRT screens did with digital images.

Some people will like this I think! :messenger_tongue:

I wanted to try another CRT shader with AviSynth, but just for the fun, because for videos, I will definitely not use them. The effect is too variable when the image is downscaled or upscaled.

But just to for playing or with still images, it's great!

You can find the plugin for AviSynth here: https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=170732

I tried :

• Cromaclear display type
  • Aperture grille display type
  • Simple scanlines without phosphor effect

Click on the spoilers to see the picture!

kMyJRe.png

kMySmv.png

kMyUuD.png

kYieDi.png

kYiFsb.png

kYixG0.png

kYiGHq.png

kYiaXA.png

kYj83Q.png

kYjj9k.png

kYjT3P.png
kYjJL9.png

kYjKi7.png

kYjDax.png

kYj5Mo.png

kY0iKz.png

kY0gYr.png

kY0RS0.png

kY0Vqa.png

kY09Ye.png

kY0q2k.png

kY0BCx.png

kY0sx1.png

kY041c.png

kY0pFZ.png

kY0S2o.png

kY0Yp5.png

As you can see, with still image, it's great... but for videos, as I said, I think it would be problematic :messenger_neutral:
The biggest issues are the loss of brightness and the moiré effect when the pictures are downscaled.

It's the main reason why I don't use CRT filters for videos.

For a perfect effect, the scale of the image has to be 1:1.

I found the sweet spot! For me... 🙂

I did my tests with some Tomb Raider 1 et 2 videos. I compared with videos of these 2 games on CRT TVs on YouTube.
My goal was always to have a consistent image, focused on the representation, not the pixels.

We are too focused on the pixels nowadays.

Finished... this time! 😄

Last edited:
Hi! :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

I had a relapse... :messenger_grinning_sweat:

In fact, the pursuit for perfection is an never-ending story :messenger_relieved:

I did a new video. I'm close to what I'm looking for.
It's like I could see what I want, but there is always a little something that I can't achieve :messenger_neutral:

It's frustrating...!

Top Bottom