• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Betting time: Do you think the Switch 2 will be a success?

Will the Switch 2 be a success?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

John Bilbo

I always love to retrospectively read GAF's prediction threads and see how many crows are being served, the thread placing WiiU/XB first and Sony disappearing or failing with the PS4 before the gen before this gen started was so much fun!

So now that we have no details about the price, specs, launch line up or upcoming games, how do you think the Switch 2 will fair? will it be Nintendo's last console? will it be another big success and their strategy going forward for the next good years?

To make it more specific and interesting write down how many units do you expect this to sell through its lifetimie.

GAF tell me what you think!

(Englsh is not my first language so I'm sorry in advance for any mistakes)

Spyxos

Gold Member
Hard to say, we don't know anything yet. You'd better wait until the console is announced before you ask. If the console is portable and has docked mode with better controllers, it could be a success again.

not voting yet

Last edited:

Kerotan

Definitely as long as it has portability.

There's a high chance it won't match switch numbers but even if it sold 30M less it would be a huge success.

You'd think there would be a little fall off but if it starts off fast it will build up a big lead over the switch aligned which actually improved sales wise lot each year that went bye

Ozriel

M$FT
They've found the winning formula, tbh. They'll never have a bad gen again as long as they keep on this hybrid approach.

If they can get PS4 tier visuals in a handheld coupled with a powerful CPU, they'll have the best of both worlds: Nintendo's first party + much more robust third party ports from the current gen flagship consoles.

Vox Machina

Banned
I voted yes, but I think Nintendo will have a LOT more competition in the "Handheld Video Gaming Device" category during the Switch 2 gen. I think they've built up a lot of good will that will help them weather that competition though. Personally I bought a Switch for Pokemon Sw/Sh (I'm a sucker) and haven't used it since, but I'll definitely buy a PC handheld at some point during the Switch 2 gen. that will sate my desire for a portable without investing in the Nintendo ecosystem. These are the customers they have this gen. that they'll likely lose next gen. if PC/PS/Xbox handhelds are at all competitive.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
but I think Nintendo will have a LOT more competition in the "Handheld Video Gaming Device" category during the Switch 2 gen.
That's true but you can't shake brand recognition. only device that could even stand a chance would be a Steam Deck 2 and even then Valve would need to go crazy with the marketing.

Topher

Gold Member
Search page for the words "avatar bet".......not found.

Jurassic Park Wow GIF by Spotify

I voted yes.

5 out of the 10 best selling consoles of all time are Nintendo consoles so it's pretty much a safe guess that Nintendo's next console will be a success.... unless it's a Wii U kinda of fuck up they pull off.

If it's really a "Switch 2" and has Switch (1) BC then that's the main thing for me. I am sure if they did ditch the Switch brand they'd still have success but they'd be stupid to do that. I love that Nintendo always try new stuff but they hit gold with Switch so I'd like to see them stick with it. Sony has Playstation, Microsoft has Xbox, so I want Nintendo to release a Switch 2, 3, and 4 etc.

It'll be tough to be as successful as the Switch but I think I'll do really well but we'll see. We should do this again pre release when we have a better idea of what the fuck the next console actually is.

Last edited:

Vox Machina

Banned
That's true but you can't shake brand recognition. only device that could even stand a chance would be a Steam Deck 2 and even then Valve would need to go crazy with the marketing.

Yep, which is why I voted yes, but next gen. any handheld from any manufacturer will be able to natively play all the indies that come to the current switch, and will probably natively play AAs similar to how the Steam Deck/ROG Ally/Etc. currently can. So any of the Switch's success that came from customers who simply wanted something to play indies on a portable will be eroded.

The Wii was super successful because of good marketing to the masses and soccer moms who thought it was cool to wiggle a nun chuck around, but yes, the Wii was an absolute piece of shit. Give me a PS1 over a Wii any day of the week. Hell, give me a Gameboy Advance over a Wii.
Nah man I don't accept that. It was a huge success. Maybe it didn't appeal to a lot of gamers but it was in huge demand and sold well with over 100 million sold. All companies care about is making money they don't give a shit who is buying it. You think Sony gave a shit that their PS5s were going straight to scalpers and not "The Gamers" ? They were laughing all the way to the bank.

mrmustard

Banned
Depends on the marketing and launch games. People thought Wii U was just an upgrade. They have to call it Switch 2 or completely different.

R6Rider

Gold Member
No. I think a lot of people will see it like they did the Wii U.

Or I guess I should say it won't be a failure, but not nearly as successful as the Switch has been.

Robb

Gold Member
Feels a bit early to guess when we don’t know what “Switch 2” is, the name, gimmick, games or the price.

So based on nothing I’ll guess it’ll be a success. Not as big as Switch though, something more akin to going from DS to 3DS.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
I really really really hope they do some sort of backcompat that not only just works but also boosts performance on some Switch titles.

Age of Calamity desperately needs stronger hardware.

JordiENP

If they cut they price by holiday and release pokemon stars soon a decent success like 3ds not 60m units but max 30-40m

LRKD

As long as it looks like it'll have good games coming at launch and beyond, and they don't name it so poorly that people think it's just a switch+ then I think so.

JordiENP

I meaaaannn yeaaa? Haha. It was a cool gimmick for kids and was a hoot with grandma's but it wasn't great. Especially not when compared to the switch.
People here really like to rewrite history.The wii was weak but the tech was flawless and had amazing exclusives... Also made Sony and Microsoft change their whole focus mid-gen to create their own motion controls.

People here really like to rewrite history.The wii was weak but the tech was flawless and had amazing exclusives... Also made Sony and Microsoft change their whole focus mid-gen to create their own motion controls.
I never said it didn't sell well haha. But as someone who had both in my house, it was totally archaic next to PS3 exclusives at the time especially.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Nintendo is doomed and will become a third-party developer and Sega is gonna buy them after they reveal the Dreamcast 2.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
If Nintendo's next system is indeed Switch 2, a backward compatible next gen successor to Switch, it will be successful.

But that's not a given. Nintendo are unpredictable and really struggle to stick with what I working. Nintendo's next system good be the Nintendo Blooboo and have a controller you wear on your nose and do absolutely terrible.

Alan Wake

It's almost impossible to bet against Nintendo at this point. But after Wii U we really need to see the system before making any bets. It's hard enough even then. Few predicted the amazing success the Switch has become.

Top Bottom