• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Betting time: Do you think the Switch 2 will be a success?

Will the Switch 2 be a success?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

cireza

Supposing it is the predictable follow up to Switch we talk about, then it will be a success but will sell less. I think Nintendo would be satisfied with this.

Last edited:

gokurho

Happy Daniel Bryan GIF by WWE

Woopah

Third party support will be far far stronger from Day 1, and I think first party support will be stronger in the first 2 years as their development resources won't be split like when the Switch launched.

So basically it all depends on whether Nintendo can maintain their franchise popularity and have new ones like Ring Fit.

I voted yes. They need to make sure the are marketing it as a whole new system though so what happened with WiiU does not happen again.

I can see some confusion with the Switch OLED if they are not careful.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Put it this way, if they fuck up the Switch Follow Up SwitchFU they must have worked their asses off at trying to fail. Like literally calling it the Switch Fuck You or something.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Perfect time for Nintendo to come in with an AR/VR system as their next "gimmick". The tech is cheap, there, and Nintendo, if anyone, could push it into the mainstream with polslished first-person titles.

They have precedent from Pokémon Go

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Last time I said no as no one could have predicted that Nintendo will just drop their handhelds in favour of the Switch. Now I obviously voted yes.

Mozza

Without a doubt the new Switch will be a success, Nintendo have to much momentum and a very strong brand with the Switch.

Switch Plus, if I was going to bet on a name.

Last edited:

daclynk

wellif Gaf says yes that means is a BIG NOOOOO!!!! from me. what do you mean a SUCCESS.
Does it need to Win the generation(wii & switch) No
Does it need to break 100mil(Wii& Switch) Hmmm
Does it need to sell more than previous gen console. Not possible.

killatopak

Shit... on one hand I want to say yes but on the other hand the Nintendo curse of alternating good and bad gens hasn't been broken.

reinking

Gold Member
We can wait for specs but who are we kidding? As long as it stays portable it is going to print money.

questions mattel GIF

We don’t have enough information yet. We don’t know:

Price?
Backwards compatible?
Name?
The gimmick? This is a big thing, no one has talked about extensively yet.

Specs?
3rd party support?

Last edited:
Third party support will be far far stronger from Day 1, and I think first party support will be stronger in the first 2 years as their development resources won't be split like when the Switch launched.

So basically it all depends on whether Nintendo can maintain their franchise popularity and have new ones like Ring Fit.
I agree with you. I expect Square, Capcom, Microsoft, EA, Konami, and Take Two all have big ports for Switch 2 first year. Nintendo will clearly have year 1 Switch 2 first party titles ready. After that though…

Will Switch “Deluxe” games be made to fill the gap? Will GameCube/Wii/3ds HD?

I agree the launch year should be strong. After that though, I have questions about filling in the “gaps”.

Also am additional question. Based on success of Switch, well 1st party titles play it safe, or will they take more chances again. ARMS, Ring Fit and Mario rabbits are great examples.

Will Nintendo return to games like Fzero, Wave Race, 1080 next Gen? Or even approach more Mature content like Eternal darkness, Geist, or something new?

It will be interesting to see if Nintendo takes risk for next Gen or for the safe route.

Last edited:

Woopah

I agree with you. I expect Square, Capcom, Microsoft, EA, Konami, and Take Two all have big ports for Switch 2 first year. Nintendo will clearly have year 1 Switch 2 first party titles ready. After that though…

Will Switch “Deluxe” games be made to fill the gap? Will GameCube/Wii/3ds HD?

I agree the launch year should be strong. After that though, I have questions about filling in the “gaps”.

Also am additional question. Based on success of Switch, well 1st party titles play it safe, or will they take more chances again. ARMS, Ring Fit and Mario rabbits are great examples.

Will Nintendo return to games like Fzero, Wave Race, 1080 next Gen? Or even approach more Mature content like Eternal darkness, Geist, or something new?

It will be interesting to see if Nintendo takes risk for next Gen or for the safe route.
I think the Wii U ports were a unique situation where Nintendo had several games that didn't reach their full potential due to the small userbase. This isn't the case with Switch games so I'm not expecting any Switch ports to Switch 2.

I do expect them to keep doing remakes, and to fill the gaps with GameCube, Wii and 3DS remasters.

If we look at 2022 and 2023, their published games consisted of:

18 new games
3 remakes
3 ports/remasters (although I expect at least 1 more to be announced next month)

That will roughly be the split we see on Switch 2.

I don't think we'll see new IP collaborations with Western studios like Geist or Eternal Darkness, but we will see them publish new IP by Japanese studios like Platinum or Team Asano.

Xyphie

Successful but less so than Switch. I'll go with ~80-90 million or so lifetime sales. Quote mock me in 2030 if I'm wrong.

Deerock71

Knowing Nintendo, I will abstain from voting until we know what their next move actually is. Nintendo's a George Foreman puncher, not a Muhammed Ali boxer; sometimes they're the 'dope' in the 'rope-a-dope'.

Del_X

Nintendo has to do something really stupid to tank this.

I think it's gonna cost a lot more than Switch at launch - probably $399 because of the much more expensive storage. Maybe they sell it close to cost at $349 since they'll be charging $70 per game but I also expect their cartridges to be more expensive to produce.

Assuming they launch a lite version with no detachable controllers, they can probably get something out at $299.

Zathalus

I think it will be. Maybe not to the extent of the current Switch but still going to be a megahit.

Unless Nintendo does something stupid.

I think the Wii U ports were a unique situation where Nintendo had several games that didn't reach their full potential due to the small userbase. This isn't the case with Switch games so I'm not expecting any Switch ports to Switch 2.

I do expect them to keep doing remakes, and to fill the gaps with GameCube, Wii and 3DS remasters.

If we look at 2022 and 2023, their published games consisted of:

18 new games
3 remakes
3 ports/remasters (although I expect at least 1 more to be announced next month)

That will roughly be the split we see on Switch 2.

I don't think we'll see new IP collaborations with Western studios like Geist or Eternal Darkness, but we will see them publish new IP by Japanese studios like Platinum or Team Asano.
I kind of agree with you.

Though, I think some games are returning just in a different way. I firmly believe that Mario Kart 9 is either 1st person point of view, like Diddy Kong Racing -or- Nintendo Kart is actually Wave Race with Nintendo characters. And Mario Kart 8 Complete edition is called
Mario Kart ∞.

Furthermore, I actually Believe there may be hope for 1080, Stunt Race, or Excite series on Switch 2.

I agree NEW games will push Switch 2. That said, I do expect many “Deluxe, remasters, Re-envisioned or HD2D remakes“ for Switch 2 to fill in gaps.

I will actually say this. I believe many of these rumored GameCube remakes are actually for Switch 2, not existing hardware.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Nintendo handheld sales in Japan:

Game Boy and Game Boy Colour: 32.5m
Nintendo DS: 33m
Nintendo 3DS: 25m
Nintendo Switch: 31m

When your absolute floor is 25m in just one region you are in a position of strength.

I don’t think it’ll hit 150m like the Switch, but I think 85-105m is a very safe bet and it could be more.

Minsc

Gold Member
Nintendo handheld sales in Japan:

Game Boy and Game Boy Colour: 32.5m
Nintendo DS: 33m
Nintendo 3DS: 25m
Nintendo Switch: 31m

When your absolute floor is 25m in just one region you are in a position of strength.

I don’t think it’ll hit 150m like the Switch, but I think 85-105m is a very safe bet and it could be more.

Runs every Switch game at 4k and 60-120 fps on the dock. Full backwards compatibility. OLED screen. 6 hour battery life. Twice the number of 1st party titles as the Switch with new franchises as well. Also attachment in handheld mode to run 2DS / 3DS games with 2 screens and has a refined glasses free 3D effect in handheld mode that works on the main unit for all Switch games and future games going forward.

Last edited:

Muffdraul

If Nintendo's next system is indeed Switch 2, a backward compatible next gen successor to Switch, it will be successful.

But that's not a given. Nintendo are unpredictable and really struggle to stick with what I working. Nintendo's next system good be the Nintendo Blooboo and have a controller you wear on your nose and do absolutely terrible.
That's what I think. If the Wii U was simply a more powerful HD Wii, it probably would have carried on the Wii's success and then some. But no, they had to confuse people with the gamepad and make people think it was just a goofy add-on peripheral to the Wii.

nial

Gold Member
5 out of the 10 best selling consoles of all time are Nintendo consoles so it's pretty much a safe guess that Nintendo's next console will be a success.... unless it's a Wii U kinda of fuck up they pull off.
I just want to say that that won't be the case for long once PS5 INEVITABLY outsells GBA sometime in 2025, leading to 5 of the 10 best-selling consoles being Sony. Switch 2 could outsell PS5 early in the next decade, but it's very hard to talk about a system we know nothing about right now.

LakeOf9

I just want to say that that won't be the case for long once PS5 INEVITABLY outsells GBA sometime in 2025, leading to 5 of the 10 best-selling consoles being Sony. Switch 2 could outsell PS5 early in the next decade, but it's very hard to talk about a system we know nothing about right now.
Wait, it's 5 Nintendo and 4 Sony? What's the last one

nial

Gold Member
Runs every Switch game at 4k and 60-120 fps on the dock. Full backwards compatibility. OLED screen. 6 hour battery life. Twice the number of 1st party titles as the Switch with new franchises as well. Also attachment in handheld mode to run 2DS / 3DS games with 2 screens and has a refined glasses free 3D effect in handheld mode that works on the main unit for all Switch games and future games going forward.
Damn, you better lower your expectations. Full BC is the only reasonable thing here.

IF it keeps its hybrid design form factor, AND is hardware/software backwards compatible: Yes. If it tries to be like MS and PS aka traditional: probably not.

Zannegan

Bah! Now everyone's going to vote yes, and we're all going to be proven wrong again. Karma for all those years of mocking Pachter.

Seriously though, I think it'll be a success, but I wonder if it will start off as fast as the Switch did, given that it will necessarily be more expensive and people seem to be tightening their belts a bit.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
No I don't. Hate to say it but it's very difficult to follow up something so huge in this industry. And Nintendo usually screws up in these situations.

It's just a probability thing. Do I hope it's a huge success? Absolutely.

Top Bottom