• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BFI London Film Festival 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sundance London was fun so I might check this out on the weekends. It's basically spread across quite a few cinemas so it doesn't seem as a formal one place where you see everything. Makes it a lot easier.

9th to 20th October
Tickets go on sale on 20th Sept for us non-BFI members. I better not get a sold out for The Congress, Rags and Tatters, or some of my more anticipated movies.

BFI London Film Festival Programme

Download the programme brochure (print it out if you want, very handy)

I'll probably be only able to catch 5-6 films, so if you guys got any really high recommendations, drop em. Especially if you went to TIFF.

Films I'm interested in:
ih69l1YNfGWjX.gif

Rags And Tatters
October 19th, 20th
Trailer
His 2010 film Microphone foretold revolution; now Ahmad Abdalla explores post-revolutionary Egypt through the eyes of a fictional prisoner on the run.
That trailer sets the perfect mood for an introspective post-revolution Egyptian movie. I'm so in. Best music in a 2013 movie trailer for me.

iHCxGpp1kaYzx.gif

The Congress
October 10th, 11th, 12th
Trailer
Ari Folman’s follow up his critically lauded Waltz With Bashir is a mind-bending slice of science fiction set in a dystopian Hollywood.
Ari Folman's follow-up to Waltz with Bashir (favourite movie ever) with reminders of Being John Malkovich but with even more crazy Hollywood live-action/animated sci-fi.

inhadXpDlZ5yp.gif

Starred Up
October 10th, 11th, 12th
Trailer
Director David Mackenzie blends beauty and brutality in this tale of a young offender relocated to the adult prison where his father is locked up.
The best actor from that Skins show AND Ben Mendelsohn (The Place Beyond the Pines, Killing Them Softly, Animal Kingdom) in a more psychological prison movie?! Yes, mate.

locke-001.jpg

Locke
October 18th, 19th, 20th
Clip
Ivan Locke’s (Tom Hardy) hitherto rock solid life slowly falls apart during a drive to London.
I love movies that take place in confined spaces and this one seems to be around a car.

ibnVH41SHQJgWe.gif

Rigor Mortis
October 13th, 17th
A modern take on the much-loved supernatural action films that populated Chinese genre cinema of the 1970s and 80s.
Chinese horror hmm...*watches trailer* yup yup yup this looks really cool. The sureal touches and special effects look brilliant.

i326yLwJY9rWM.gif

Anina
October 20th
Trailer
Enlightening animated tale about a girl with an unusual name who is issued with an unusual punishment.
An animated movie from Uruguay? Looks great.

genki-why-dont-you-play-in-hell-blood-rainbow-with-mitsuko-nikaidou.gif

Why Don't You Play In Hell
October 17th, 18th, 20th
English Teaser
Japanese Trailer
An ultra-violent slice of insanity that is both a wild subversion of the yakuza film and an affectionate tribute to the death of celluloid.
Sion Sono (Love Exposure, Suicide Club) yakuza satire, yes sign me up.

i2SaM8mZgc7w3.gif

Under the Skin
October 13th, 14th
Trailer
Scarlett Johansson is extraordinary as a voracious alien in human form in Jonathan Glazer’s existential kitchen-sink sci-fi.
It's actually the cool tone and surreal imagery in the trailer that got me interested than Scarlett Johannson whose work hasn't interested me since Lost in Translation. I haven't seen the Woody Allen movies she's been in, though.

NEBRASKA.jpg

Nebraska
October 11th, 12th, 15th
Clip
Alexander Payne’s poignant road movie paints an affectionate portrait of the smalltown midwest and features a fantastic performance from Bruce Dern.
Even though I didn't bother with The Descendants, I loved Sideways, About Schmidt, and Election. Will Forte in a non-comedy role will be interesting.

hide-your-smiling-face-001.jpg

Hide Your Smiling Faces
October 17th, 19th
A powerfully arresting debut – a singular take on the coming of age tale that is at once genuinely poetic and devoid of sentiment.
So, Americana boy adventure movies are a thing now (Mud)? I'm all for it. The "devoid of sentiment" claim intrigues me.

luton-001.jpg

Luton
October 18th, 20th
Trailer
A sophisticatedly austere and oblique debut that builds to a grimly impressive dénouement.
For some reason, I thought this would be about the Luton, the town in England. After Dogtooth, I'm all for more Greek quietly intense, coldly shot movies.

double-001-credit-dean-rogers.jpg

The Double
October 12th, 13th, 14th
Trailer
Jesse Eisenberg finds his world turned upside down by the arrival of a confident and ambitious doppelganger in Richard Ayoade’s latest curiosity.
Submarine didn't do much for me, felt too much like a Wes Anderson clone. This however, looks more confident just going by the trailer. Yasmin Paige is a cutie (watch the Pramface series). Oh wait, based on a Dostoyevsky novella? Guess I could read those 144 pages right quick.

sarah-prefers-to-run-002.jpg

Sarah Prefers To Run
October 13th, 15th
Trailer
Actor Sophie Desmarais breathes humour and pathos into a portrait of a young woman’s quest for self determination. A meticulous debut.
Don't get many girl coming-of-age movies, so this might be worth a look.

wounded-005.jpg

Wounded
October 12th, 14th
Trailer
This striking debut by Blancanieves editor, Fernando Franco, follows ambulance driver Ana as she struggles with a devastating personality disorder.
Whoah, trailer looks intense. It'll be intriguing to see how realistic the portrayal of personality disorder will be. I'm liking this trend of foreign movie trailers not having much dialogue and more focused on atmosphere.

strange-colour-of-your-bodys-tears-002.jpg

The Strange Colour of Your Body's Tears
October 11th, 13th, 20th
Teaser
Another giallo-inspired exercise in operatic violence from Hélène Cattet and Bruno Forzani, directors of the acclaimed Amer.
Hot.

like-father-like-son-003.jpg

Like Father, Like Son
October 12th, 14th, 15th
Trailer
Kore-eda looks more and more like the best mapper of the terrain of Japanese families since Ozu.

Two boys switched at birth rejoin their natural parents as director Hirokazu Kore-eda zeroes in on a father learning to loosen up and give affection.
Hey, it's that director Movie-GAF did a film club for!

jodorowskys-dunes-001.jpg

Jodorowsky's Dune
October 9th, 12th, 14th
An inventive documentary charting Alejandro Jodorowsky’s infamous attempt to bring Frank Herbert’s novel to the big screen.
Never read the book or watched the movie, but love me some Jodorowsky.

1166799_hayatboyu_lifelong.jpg

Lifelong
October 17th, 20th
Trailer
The cinematography certainly caught my eye, so might have to check this out.

stand-clear-of-the-closing-doors-001.jpg

Stand Clear of the Closing Doors
Clip
A poetic account of a young boy’s odyssey on the New York subway.
An autistic kid? This could be interesting.

ibhGxZjwuFXXHa.jpg

12 Years A Slave
October 18th, 19th, 20th
Trailer
Steve McQueen confirms his directorial prowess with this hugely important and beautifully cinematic account of slavery in pre-Civil War America.
If I can, I most certainly want to see this. Oh, and the score is by Hans Zimmer so that might explain why there's so much previous Zimmer music in the trailers.

gravity-002.jpg

Gravity
October 10th, 11th (IMAX)
A routine space mission turns into a fight for survival for Sandra Bullock and George Clooney in Alfonso Cuaron’s nerve-shredding thrill ride.
You should know about this movie by now and whether you're interested. I'm wary about Bullock, but IMAX is tempting.

only-lovers-left-alive-2013-001-tilda-swinton-tom-hiddleston.jpg

Only Lovers Left Alive
October 19th, 20th
Clip 1 | 2
From Jim Jarmusch comes this stylish tale of Adam and Eve, two centuries-old vampires reuniting after a spell of time apart.
The only Jim Jarmusch movie I've seen is Limits of Control, which is a bad first impression of the director. But hey, if this is good, might check out his more beloved stuff. Tom Hiddleston and Tilda Swinton as vampires, kind of perfect casting really.

io018T3POs1jM.jpg

Zero Theorem
October 13th, 16th, 18th
Trailer | Clip
Terry Gilliam returns to dystopia with a satire on our obsession with, and reliance upon, ever-faster means of communication.
I thought Tideland was a terrible, too self-serious, and boring fantasy movie. Didn't bother with Imaginarium. But there's a good cast and him going back to a dystopic setting could do it for me.

madkiller

Check out Why don't you play in hell? for sure. According to a few friends of mine who saw it at Venice, it's the true successor to Love Exposure.

SKINNER!

Banned
Rags and Tatters looks great and I'm somewhat interested in The Congress after thoroughly enjoying Waltz with Bashir.

BioHazard

They showed Anina here in NYC at a Latino Film Festival. It's great...super cute, fantastic style...a film for everyone

In 30 minutes (Sept 20, 12pm GMT) is when I can buy tickets. IMAX is not responding, I'm guessing Gravity tickets will go out fast so I wanted to know whether they have seats left after BFI members have been able to have their go. I'm guessing 12 Years A Slave tickets will go pretty fast too.

I narrowed down my list and movies I definitely am going to see:

• The Congress
  • Rags and Tatters
  • Gravity
  • Under the Skin
  • Anina
  • 12 Years A Slave

Timbuktu

Fingers crossed for tickets. I have been to what I thought would be fairly obscure foreign language films when I used to be a BFI member and even NFT1 would get sold out.

I never really tried for Gala events and assume they would be sold out. Waiting another month for Gravity is Ok for me, although 12 years a slave would be a bit of a pain.

Thanks for the foreign language recommendations though.

Empty

this is a really great thread

i should probably try and get tickets for something but i imagine the ones i want to see 12 days a slave and nebraska are going to sell out before i can get there

codhand

wow, thanks for making this, the animation ones are always of interest to me, but a bunch of these have lots of potential

the jodorowsky doc could be cool...

Wes

venison crêpe
I wont be able to go but thanks for the thread. Look forward to hearing impresions. Some of these look really interesting. I love the animation style of Anina.

Might convince my friends to go see The Congress.

Booked ticket for Rags and Tatters. Shouldn't be a problem getting tickets for that, indie foreign Egyptian movie with not much hype behind it (other than mine). My friends also seem interested, which is surprising but maybe because it's an excuse to seeing each other after a long time.

Under Your Skin sold out.

Is Reitman's Labor Day not any good?

Edgar Wright's lookalike?

I don't know anything about it. No trailer yet.

Here's the page for it. The story doesn't sound interesting to me, but hey it's Kate Winslet and Josh Brolin. I only liked Thank You for Smoking, but if you're a fan get the tickets for the Odeon Leicester Square (around 30 seats left).

labor-day-getty-images.jpg

Labor Day
October 14th, 15 (Sold Out!), 19 (Sold Out!)
Clip
Jason Reitman blends elements of thriller, melodrama and coming of age tale to create a sumptuous and romantic study of emotional isolation.

number11

Even though this year's booking system was a mess.. It's definitely worth becoming a BFI member if your desperate to get gala screening tickets.

ЯAW

Banned
So many great movies and great OP. I have already seen Congress and really liked it, it's sad to see Ari Folman move away from animation movies. Bashir and Congress were both great animation movies.

BioHazard

I'm interested in it because of the description, but there's no trailer, clip or anything. What is it like? How'd you see it, TIFF or some other film festival?

I saw it at a indie night screening at the Lincoln Center Film Society. The director was there for a Q&A too.

It's kind of weird to explain. It's not too much like Mud other than it is coming of age in rural US. Some may see clips from the film and write it off as "hipster trash" because it doesn't rely on dialogue too much and has pretty shots. Despite the lack of dialogue, it is still a very emotional/personal film and does a good job portraying that. The sound/score is amazing. The ambient score and field recording-esque ambience makes nature as much of a character as anyone else. Great child acting too, without being over the top. One thing I really liked about it is that, you never really know where the movie is going (in a good way) and it leads to some great, genuine surprises. I've seen your posts around here and your taste in film, I think you should definitely see it.

I saw it at a indie night screening at the Lincoln Center Film Society. The director was there for a Q&A too.

It's kind of weird to explain. It's not too much like Mud other than it is coming of age in rural US. Some may see clips from the film and write it off as "hipster trash" because it doesn't rely on dialogue too much and has pretty shots. Despite the lack of dialogue, it is still a very emotional/personal film and does a good job portraying that. The sound/score is amazing. The ambient score and field recording-esque ambience makes nature as much of a character as anyone else. Great child acting too, without being over the top. One thing I really liked about it is that, you never really know where the movie is going (in a good way) and it leads to some great, genuine surprises. I've seen your posts around here and your taste in film, I think you should definitely see it.

Yeah, that all sounds fantastic to me especially the lack of dialogue. So would you say it's Malick-y?

Oh wait, found a teaser trailer! It looks right up my alley, thanks for the impressions!

It even had a Kickstarter for $5000.

Slowdive

Banned
I wish I could go, lots of interesting looking films for sure. Looking forward to Why Don't You Play In Hell? the most.

Man, Rags and Tatters was fantastic. There was a Q&A afterwards with the director, main actor, and producer with some of the other staff in the audience.

The script was only 20 pages long, and that gave them more freedom to take from what was happening at the time.

It's a tragic yet tender look at life during the Egyptian revolution with exceptional direction and camerawork. It focuses on one character as he lives almost as an urban nomad, going from place to place trying to get footage on his phone of what's actually happening during the riots to a news station. It's not concerned with the what and how of the revolution but how people's lives are in uncertainty.

An interesting directorial choice is while it's focused on one character, it's mostly dialogue-free. He only gets one or two lines. Other characters speak but there's selective mutism on the protagonist. If there's a scene of him talking, you can hear just the ambiance or his speaking is drowned out by the loud noise of a motorbike, so you can only infer from his actions. It succeeds unlike in other similar films using this choice, because you get much more to work with such as the more realistic performances and handling of tense subject matter.

So the film is carried by Asser Yassin's subtle and powerful performance, the meditative atmospheric electronic/guitar music by Mahmoud Hamdy (and can be heard in the trailer), and the steadicam cinematography by Tarek Hefny. I would have expected some more guerilla shaky camerawork for a revolution-set film (it's only at the very ending) but here the steadicam gives it a quiet calm of the storm feeling. It was also cool to notice the symbolism of the movie's title as drapes in the foreground obscuring two main characters having a smoke break.

I hope for more films about the Arab revolution. It was quite a challenge for a mostly dialogue-free arthouse movie to come out of Egypt and I hope these kind of realistic movies get an audience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom