• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Big changes at Zynga: Pincus steps down from daily operations, plus some new hires

Guevara

Mattrick now the "one captain" of the S.S. Zynga.
Mark Pincus is stepping down from all operational duties at Zynga, the social gaming company that he founded in 2007. As part of the change, he will shift to non-executive chairman of the San Francisco-based company, give up his title as chief product officer and will no longer have employees under his purview.

In an interview earlier today about the move, Pincus said that he and CEO Don Mattrick talked about the need for a change following 10 months of transition after Pincus stepped down from the top job there last year.

“I had wanted to stay on doing the product role for a while, because I wanted to put my hands on the product and make sure the company continued to also pursue its social mission,” said Pincus. “Don and some of the existing team and new people really embraced that and, so, ultimately a ship is better with one captain putting a hand on the wheel.”

In a statement, Mattrick noted that Pincus had “built Zynga into an entertainment leader, turning brands like FarmVille, Words With Friends and Zynga Poker into household names and daily habits for hundreds of millions of consumers.”
http://recode.net/2014/04/23/mark-p...ultimately-a-ship-is-better-with-one-captain/

Also some other personnel shake-ups:
Among the new hires is Alex Garden, the former Microsoft Xbox Live executive and Relic Entertainment founder. He’ll be the head of Zynga Studios, reporting to Mattrick. Garden, 39, most recently was general manager of Xbox Live, Xbox Music, Video, and Reading. He worked with content partners like HBO, Netflix, and ESPN. He also worked at online publisher Nexon and made hardcore games at Relic, the developer of landmark games such as Homeworld and Company of Heroes.

“Alex Garden is an exciting hire for us as we focus on growing and sustaining our franchises, creating groundbreaking new entertainment experiences, and developing a more creative culture across Zynga,” said Mattrick. “As president of Zynga Studios, Alex will have an integral role on the management team overseeing all of our studios as well as our CTO division. On a personal note, I have known Alex for 25 years and I am confident that he will strengthen our creative and technical capabilities as well as nurture and mentor our existing teams.”

All of Zynga’s game studios will report to Garden.

In a statement, Garden said, “I joined Zynga because it has a unique opportunity to push the boundaries in mobile gaming and fundamentally shift the way consumers are entertained. Don Mattrick is an incredibly effective leader and working for him is a real privilege. He challenges the status quo, goes after bold ideas, champions innovation, nurtures great teams and, above all, puts the consumer first. I am looking forward to working with Don and the rest of the team on Zynga’s next growth chapter.”

Zynga also hired Academy Award-nominated visual artist Henry LaBounta as chief visual officer and Jennifer Nuckles as chief marketing officer. Earlier this month, Zynga appointed David Lee as chief financial officer and chief accounting officer.

LaBounta is a game veteran who has worked at Electronic Arts, DreamWorks, and Microsoft Studios. At EA, he worked on Need for Speed. He also worked on movies such as Mission Impossible 2, AI, and Twister, which earned him the Oscar nomination. He will report to Garden and help coach the creative teams to deliver “jaw-dropping, visually appealing games,” Mattrick said.
http://venturebeat.com/2014/04/23/z...-role-as-new-chief-fills-out-management-team/

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well it looks like Mattrick is building out an executive team with his former employees.

Whatever Zynga is going forward, it will be his vision given he's putting the key management roles in place.

Frillen

_proxy

Guevara

Well it looks like Mattrick is building out an executive team with his former employees.

Whatever Zynga is going forward, it will be his vision given he's putting the key management roles in place.

It's crazy, everyone (myself included) thought this would be a bad post for Mattrick because Pincus would never fully relinquish control.

Not only has he done that, but obviously Mattrick has a lot of leeway to bring on his own team.

Longsword

A lot of console talent has moved to Zynga during Don's push. Founder of Relic is a good choice for the role I think. On my Linkedin plenty of grizzled console veterans are now at Mattrick's Doghouse.

Hope this heralds a fundamental change at Zynga for the better.

Top Bottom