• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bill Murray is willing to do a Ghostbusters sequel

VulcanRaven

Murray famously declined to participate in another “Ghostbusters” movie for years, and his deal with the studio prevented the project from going forward without his consent, until he relinquished with a cameo in the all-female 2016 reboot. Now, director Jason Reitman — whose father, Ivan Reitman, directed the original — is set to direct a secretive “Ghostbusters” project scheduled for release next year, and Murray said in an interview from Cannes that he would have no problem participating in it.

“This franchise paid for my son’s college,” he said, as he sipped on coffee at the Carlton Hotel. “We made this thing. We are the caretakers of it. It’s a great thing and it was a really fun movie to make. It’s a real movie with some really funny stuff in it.” However, he added that his connection to the franchise was determined by his relationship to the actors in the original. “They’re wonderful people,” he said. “Danny [Ackroyd], Ernie [Hudson], Harold [Ramis], Rick Moranis, Annie Potts — they’re some of the coolest people and they had real careers. They treat people well. They really understand what it is to be a movie actor. It’s a complete collaboration.”

He drew a distinction between those personal connotations and the commercial history of the franchise. “The relationship you have with those people as collaborators is not necessarily the relationship I have with Sony,” he said. “For years, they said, ‘We can’t make another “Ghostbusters” because Bill Murray won’t change the deal he made in 1984.’ Well, no, I never did. And you know what? They made the movie. You’re the new guys, I’m the old guy. It was good enough for the other people so it’s going to have to be good enough for you.”

He chose to appear in the Paul Feig-directed “Ghostbusters” in 2016, he added, because of his friendship with co-stars Kate McKinnon and Melissa McCarthy, who share the actor’s roots in “Saturday Night Live” and made a similar jump to studio projects. “I was in that movie just because they asked me, and I knew if I said no, I was saying I didn’t support that movie,” he said. “I felt like, OK, I’m going to support them because I support them as people. So I did that one and I would do this next one.”

Good that they are making Ghostbusters 3. I wish they would have done it 10 years ago but I'm still excited. I haven't seen the reboot and I have no desire to watch.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
after being the only one stopping them from making a proper 3rd film, then cashing in on the atrocious reboot, BM can go take a BM for all i care.

the last truly good comedy he starred in was Groundhog Day which came out 25 years ago. Rushmore/Royal Tanenbaums/etc. was funny, but mostly due to the writing.

he is lucky his career was rescued by Wes Anderson & memes.

Last edited:
Great. We get a Ghostbusters without Harold Ramus, then suffer with Girlbusters with terrible comedy. What's even worse is that I have Girlbusters on my downloaded movies list, yet I have no idea how that got there. I never bought the movie. I never seen it. Yet it's on my download list. Did the movie do so bad that everyone got a free copy?

Hinedorf

Banned
Can't Bill Murray be a genius, broke, successful asshole all at the same time.

Funny, yes. Full of himself, absolutely. He's become a caricature of the funny person he used to be.

Hmmmm....he's worth $140m.

Going to have to disagree with you on this one. He's a genius.

Why would being an asshole be mutually exclusive with being a genius?

Einstein was an asshole too. I can respect him and still say he was an ass.

No need to be a dick about it. What the fuck did he ever do to you? Keyboard warriors crack me up. Little bitches.

He held up Ghostbuster IV (because the game is still canon and that is unlikely to change because Aykroyd and Ramis wrote it, and I'm sure Aykroyd would never let it be tossed aside) until Ramis died, and literally said he'll do it for the money now. That's a jackass.

Last edited:
He held up Ghostbuster IV (because the game is still canon and that is unlikely to change because Aykroyd and Ramis wrote it, and I'm sure Aykroyd would never let it be tossed aside) until Ramis died, and literally said he'll do it for the money now. That's a jackass.

Pretty sure he was joking. But it's cool you take Ghostbusters so seriously.

They came this close to making a third movie years ago that would have had all of the original cast and it fizzled out thanks to Bill, so excuse me if I don't have the most positive attitude if he now changes his mind years after Harold Ramis' passing.

bitbydeath

after being the only one stopping them from making a proper 3rd film, then cashing in on the atrocious reboot, BM can go take a BM for all i care.

the last truly good comedy he starred in was Groundhog Day which came out 25 years ago. Rushmore/Royal Tanenbaums/etc. was funny, but mostly due to the writing.

he is lucky his career was rescued by Wes Anderson & memes.

MixedAgitatedImperialeagle-small.gif

TimFL

Great. We get a Ghostbusters without Harold Ramus, then suffer with Girlbusters with terrible comedy. What's even worse is that I have Girlbusters on my downloaded movies list, yet I have no idea how that got there. I never bought the movie. I never seen it. Yet it's on my download list. Did the movie do so bad that everyone got a free copy?
Are you signed up for MoviesAnywhere? Pretty sure it was part of the bunch of free games you got for linking accounts (or was added with the second batch of free games, not sure as MA isn‘t available here).

cr0w

Old Member
Murray's always been cantankerous, especially when it has to do with pretty much anything related to filmmaking. He does what he wants based on wherever his mind is at the time, and unfortunately it's usually in direct opposition to everyone else so he makes things unnecessarily difficult.

That being said, those difficulties have led to some of the best comedy films of all time that have had tremendous impact on my life, so he can do whatever the fuck he wants as far as I'm concerned. He and Steve Martin are the two actors that have unlimited goodwill with me.

I have.... mixed thoughts on Bill Murray.

Obviously I like a lot of his work and think he's a profoundly talented guy, but I think he can be a dickhead sometimes, yeah.

I just don't understand why he's seemed to always be down on Ghostbusters.

cr0w

Old Member
I have.... mixed thoughts on Bill Murray.

Obviously I like a lot of his work and think he's a profoundly talented guy, but I think he can be a dickhead sometimes, yeah.

I just don't understand why he's seemed to always be down on Ghostbusters.

He doesn't like sequels in general. He only did the second one as a favor to Dan Aykroyd, and he's expressed regrets about doing it because he felt the material was subpar.

I think Ramis passing after years of the two not speaking due to Bill's behavior on Groundhog Day softened him up a little. They patched things up shortly before he passed, but it has to weigh on him.

He doesn't like sequels in general. He only did the second one as a favor to Dan Aykroyd, and he's expressed regrets about doing it because he felt the material was subpar.

I think Ramis passing after years of the two not speaking due to Bill's behavior on Groundhog Day softened him up a little. They patched things up shortly before he passed, but it has to weigh on him.

But he's being a stick in the mud when it comes to Ghostbusters.

And I wasn't even aware of the Groundhog's Day thing, see what I mean though? Sometimes he can be a dick.

That’s what happens when you hit a certain age and the scripts aren’t coming in as much or as fast as they used to. You do a ghostbusters sequel.

brap

Banned
Doing a 3rd movie without the amazing ladies is something Trump would do.

Who the fuck is this sarah bills bitch? Fuck off sarah. Nobody cares.
When asked about past comments regarding women, and claims Trump called them “fat pigs,” “dogs,” and “slobs,” he replies “Only Rosie O’Donnell and Leslie Jones.”

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Doing a 3rd movie without the amazing ladies is something Trump would do.

"Gonna redo ghostbusteeeeers, better with men, will be huge"
Okay so what will she say if it does become huge without them?

Reactions: 888
I hope its not just a stupid cameo with him refusing to do it standing up like in Ghostbuster 2016. (he wanted to do his scene in that movie seated). I want to see Peter Venkman in a role sort of like Han Solo in the force awakens, where he is along for the ride. Ghostbusters 3 would have been a perfect movie for like, the summer of 1993. Coming out a month or so before Jurassic Park.

Last edited:

-Minsc-

"Too little, too late."

I don't mean that in a bad way, it's just the way things go. He made the decision to snub the movie for decades and that is fine. If you want irony(?), I'll likely only watch this movie as a favour to a friend.

plushyp

Murray can piss off and should be kept far away. He had the chance but he played the diva. Ramis and Akroyd are the true heart and soul of the franchise. Sadly one of them is no more so it falls down to Akroyd to do what he can with GB3.

Last edited:

Hissing Sid

Never got the whole Murray worship thing, I mean he was ok in Ghostbusters and Groundhog Day, I guess?

Im guessing it’s an American thing because he sure as shit doesn’t move the needle over here.

Murray should dye his hair brown. I am sure that Dan Akyroyd dies his hair. Not a touch of grey on him. I hope they don't have him playing an insane possessed mayor of new york or something who is only in the movie for 5 minutes.
Peter Venkman will probably look like this:
0*igUzE9oG2ncLPboc.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom