• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bill Simmons HBO Show "Any Given Wednesday" Debuts on 6/22

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbug617

Banned
Cg_UUtSW4AAEi-s.jpg

https://medium.com/hbo-cinemax-pr/a...-culture-sports-to-debut-june-22-74c705b0664c

ANY GIVEN WEDNESDAY WITH BILL SIMMONS, a weekly talk show hosted by one of the most influential figures in contemporary sports media, will kick off its 20-show season WEDNESDAY, JUNE 22 (10:00–10:30 p.m. ET/PT), it was announced today by Michael Lombardo, president, HBO Programming.

“Bill Simmons represents a unique and distinct voice with a proven track record of challenging the norm and igniting debate and discussion on a wide range of topics,” said Lombardo. “We are excited about the concept Bill and his team have developed for this show, which takes advantage of Bill’s intelligence, talent and insights.”

“I’m excited about the show, I’m excited about the title and I’m really, really excited to drop my first F-bomb on TV,” says Simmons. “We are going to figure out nudity down the road, as long as it’s tasteful.”

Spanning pop culture and touching on everything from sports and entertainment to arts and technology, ANY GIVEN WEDNESDAY WITH BILL SIMMONS will feature intimate conversations with compelling guests each week. The show will also include field segments and Simmons’ signature commentary on current events.

ANY GIVEN WEDNESDAY WITH BILL SIMMONS will also be available on HBO NOW, HBO GO and HBO On Demand, as well as other affiliate portals.

ANY GIVEN WEDNESDAY WITH BILL SIMMONS will be executive produced by Bill Simmons, Eric Weinberger and Stuart Miller. Weinberger is president of the Bill Simmons Media Group, and previously served as executive producer of the NFL Network, overseeing a wide range of studio and live event programming. Miller was a two-time Emmy®-winning producer for “The Daily Show with Jon Stewart”; during his 12 years on the groundbreaking series at Comedy Central, he rose to co-executive producer.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Looks like he lost weight.

And Simmons the writer is better than Simmons the podcaster is better than Simmons on TV.

It'd be like HBO signing Jordan to a baseball contract, but Simmons ain't no Jordan.

bionic77

I like Simmons but I get the impression that this is going to be insufferable.
He has always been horrible on tv.

His podcasts have been killing it lately though. Now that he is not doing 3 pods a week with House and Cousin Sal and has actual guests again it has gotten back to where it was in ESPN.

entremet

I still prefer the writer. The podcaster and TV personality (just awful) never did anything for me.

I do like Cousin Sal.

bionic77

Why was that so angry? Simmons isn't angry (unless he's ranting about Goodell). I'm worried about this show.
He has been on tv for many years and he has always sucked on tv.

He himself has said that doing tv is really hard. For whatever reason he is just not likable at all on tv.

He is much better at the behind the scenes stuff like writing and producing. It is possible that the show might be decent if it doesn't focus on him though. He is pretty smart so it is possible he might figure that out. HBO is patient and knows how to make great tv shows so he should have plenty of help too.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I like Simmons but I get the impression that this is going to be insufferable.

He is great behind the scenes, but in front of the camera is a different story. Not sure why he wants to be in front of the camera. He is just not likable at all.

ryseing

He has always been horrible on tv.

His podcasts have been killing it lately though. Now that he is not doing 3 pods a week with House and Cousin Sal and has actual guests again it has gotten back to where it was in ESPN.

Pod with Craig Kilborn last week was great.

As for the show, I think a sports LWT can work but I'm not sure if Simmons is the one to do it. Show is going to live and die on the guests I think.

bionic77

Pod with Craig Kilborn last week was great.

As for the show, I think a sports LWT can work but I'm not sure if Simmons is the one to do it. Show is going to live and die on the guests I think.
I am halfway through Kilborn but so far it is pretty shitty. Kilborn just rambles and not in a good way. Maybe it gets better. I was shocked how boring the Key and Peele pod was. Their pods on the champs were some of the best ones I have heard.

The podcast with the billionaire, rapaport and the chef were amazing though. I wish I could have seen Simmon's face when Rapaport called out Brady for being a cheating scumbag.

see5harp

I'm not sure I like the tone of the trailer although I think most people would agree about his last point on billionaires who ask for tax payer money.

I'm surprised at the talk show format. I would have guessed it would be structured like Olbermann's (canceled) ESPN show, just riffing on different topics like John Oliver.

Gigglepoo

I'm not sure I like the tone of the trailer although I think most people would agree about his last point on billionaires who ask for tax payer money.

Only billionaires disagree with that point. He's spot on regarding the DH, too, which surprises me because I thought that was a National League fan position.

I'm surprised at the talk show format. I would have guessed it would be structured like Olbermann's (canceled) ESPN show, just riffing on different topics like John Oliver.

Simmons knows he's weak on T.V like many of posters have pointed out. The guest can definitely help him carry the show. Plus he's pretty decent at playing off his guest from listening to his podcast over the years.

Simmons has grown a lot on camera since the first time ESPN decide to put him on. I think this show will be fine. He has his own niche market and diehards. I think this show will cater to that well.

jbug617

Banned
Had a brief listen of Simmons on with Francessa. He said most of the show will be him talking to 2 guests. It almost sounds like a mini podcast with some other stuff in it.

Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston

Sanjuro

Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston Boston

You shipping up or something?

diffusionx

Gold Member
Looks like he lost weight.

And Simmons the writer is better than Simmons the podcaster is better than Simmons on TV.

It'd be like HBO signing Jordan to a baseball contract, but Simmons ain't no Jordan.

Simmons is a good podcaster though. His interviews recently have been pretty entertaining, except for Jay Glazer. Craig Killborn was a mess but he somehow managed to hold it together. The Francesca show was pretty entertaining. It took them a bit to find a rhythm but it worked.

Not sure about this. I'm sure he will get great writers but he doesn't have enough experience on TV.

AT this point I think Simmons is better on TV and podcast than in print. He was awful on the NBA on ABC shows, but everyone on those is. He did much better on his Grantland Basketball Hour.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
AT this point I think Simmons is better on TV and podcast than in print. He was awful on the NBA on ABC shows, but everyone on those is. He did much better on his Grantland Basketball Hour.

I thought the team NBA team breakdowns he did with Jalen Rose on the grantland youtube channel were fantastic.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/bill-simmons-breaks-free-his-900291?utm_source=twitter

Additionally, HBO — which, two sources say, is paying him between $7 million and $9 million a year, a nice boost from the $5 million he made at ESPN — would agree to be a minority investor in the Bill Simmons Media Group, home to a burgeoning podcast network and media site The Ringer, which launched June 1 with many of the same bylines that propelled Grantland before it was shuttered by ESPN in October.

Damn the fuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom