• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea |OT| Episode One

afoni

Banned
Ending Spoilers

Yeah, I don't quite understand the set up of Comstock stealing Anna WHILE an adult Elizabeth is present

Levine is fucking with canon to fix other canon and in doing so has fucked up the existing canon even though it's already pretty fucked up so really it's just a mess that's a result of multiple instances of things being fucked up canonically.

I hope that helped.

Fuchsdh

Levine is fucking with canon to fix other canon and in doing so has fucked up the existing canon even though it's already pretty fucked up so really it's just a mess that's a result of multiple instances of things being fucked up canonically.

I hope that helped.

Rapture really didn't need any more canon convolutions. Infinite was fine as a sort of explanation for the entire series kind of thing, but now it's showing the point where "wobbly timey wimey... stuff" starts grating.

I stopped after
the dude at Cohen's place said you have to have a ask to enter.
It's probably because I'm more tired than anything, but I didn't feel like going on.

Stylistically, artistically, and lighting, it's astounding. The rest...well, to be honest I'm kind of bored. I feel like we've been doing this "come to this city and explore this area before the action starts" too many times (it happened in BioShock, Infinite, and now BaS). On this third time I feel like everything is simply going through the motions. When I saw that
I had to do a fetch quest, I thought to myself, "I've already done fetch quests in Rapture, and if you're going to give me another one at least give me some sort of interesting gameplay mechanic..." do something different with it.

I'll probably finish it tomorrow.

I really wish they would patch in that weapon wheel into the main game of Bioshock Infinite. I muuuuuuuuuuch prefer having access to all my guns at once (instead of just two) - it also adds some variety instead of just having two favorites and using them most of the game (like I did in BI).

Fuchsdh

I really wish they would patch in that weapon wheel into the main game of Bioshock Infinite. I muuuuuuuuuuch prefer having access to all my guns at once (instead of just two) - it also adds some variety instead of just having two favorites and using them most of the game (like I did in BI).

I much preferred Infinite with a limited inventory than Bioshock 1 and 2, where invariably I would end up in the following situation:

"Ahh! Splicer! Switch weapons! Oh crap that was the wrong one! Wait, I left my shotgun on electric buck and I'm out of that ammo type! Crap! I'm dead!" I ended up only getting the shock, incinerate and telekinesis plasmids as well because that saved me juggling and those were the most useful ones anyhow.

At least in Burial At Sea, the wheel was far easier at selecting the right weapon and you didn't have to worry about custom types, but I far prefer games like Halo which force me to make decisions about how I want to approach enemies.

Kajiba

Found that last audio file. It was in the beginning when you are walkig around with liz. It was in the room with the broken elevator behind the counter.

And yeah, love the weapon wheel coming back. I definitely missed it that's for sure.

Dumb question, but where did you get Bucking Bronco? I saw the upgrades for it, but it wasn't on my vigor wheel. And I looked all over the place for it.

I much preferred Infinite with a limited inventory than Bioshock 1 and 2, where invariably I would end up in the following situation:

"Ahh! Splicer! Switch weapons! Oh crap that was the wrong one! Wait, I left my shotgun on electric buck and I'm out of that ammo type! Crap! I'm dead!" I ended up only getting the shock, incinerate and telekinesis plasmids as well because that saved me juggling and those were the most useful ones anyhow.

At least in Burial At Sea, the wheel was far easier at selecting the right weapon and you didn't have to worry about custom types, but I far prefer games like Halo which force me to make decisions about how I want to approach enemies.

I'm the opposite personally. What usually happens is I get two favorites, upgrade them, and ignore all other guns. It's kind of my own fault for doing that, but if I could hold more guns, I'd use others for various enemy types and just for some variety.

Fuchsdh

How many audio logs are there in total? I'm not stopping the game until I find them all.

Dumb question, but where did you get Bucking Bronco? I saw the upgrades for it, but it wasn't on my vigor wheel. And I looked all over the place for it.

I'm the opposite personally. What usually happens is I get two favorites, upgrade them, and ignore all other guns. It's kind of my own fault for doing that, but if I could hold more guns, I'd use others for various enemy types and just for some variety.

Different strokes. I just find that because that's so easy to do, the game designers limit you in other ways I find more infuriating. Even when developing Bioshock 2 they commented about how it was so easy to just tank yourself up with the wrench and go from there, but every game since has still suffered from that--Burial At Sea at least limited the amount of coin you found and the ammo you could carry so that it was less easy to do so (and it's harder to reach overpowered levels with such a sort campaign.)

Anyone else find it kind of odd they didn't bother explaining how DeWitt had a shield suddenly?

I can't get the DLC to launch on Steam :(

WdBHw10.jpg

I have a GTX 670 and I'm running Windows 8.1
Using the latest Nvidia 331.65 drivers

Verifying the cache didn't help. DX11 is installed and working properly (checked through dxdiag and the fact that I can run BF4 etc.). Letting the game regenerate config files doesn't work. It doesn't seem to be a widespread problem for this DLC release although Google does throw up results from the past for the base game. There doesn't seem to be any particular solution from what I've been reading except people pointing to bad drivers from Nvidia (in the 31x.xx range). I doubt it would be a problem with the latest ones.

Anyone having this problem or can provide any insight?

Had this same problem earlier, but I couldn't find a fix. 670, 8.1, latest drivers, etc...

Played an hour and a half. I don't get the "Disneyland" comments. I mean, I understand the idea, but it doesn't bother me at all.

Surprised how early they start
referencing Infinite, especially this being an Elizabeth who is aware of the multiverse stuff.

Had this same problem earlier, but I couldn't find a fix. 670, 8.1, latest drivers, etc...

Same hardware, same OS, same problem (just with the base game a week ago pre-DLC). For me the fix was removing any trace of SweetFX from the game folder. If you didn't have SweetFX installed, then I'm not sure what would be causing it.

BraXzy

I thought the (enemy spoilers)
freeze guys were a cool enemy addition. They at least had a sort of tactic to them. The freeze ability is new right? I really liked that, cool effect. And it makes nice use of the environment.

I thought the (enemy spoilers)
freeze guys were a cool enemy addition. They at least had a sort of tactic to them. The freeze ability is new right? I really liked that, cool effect. And it makes nice use of the environment.

Yeah, I liked them as well.
Playing on Hard, I always got nervous when I saw them because of how much their freeze attacks slow you down when you get hit (not to mention, tons of damage.

Just beat it.

For a DLC, I thought it was quite good. Love the feel of Rapture, and the exploration aspect of it all was great as well. 1999 mode is friggen evil at times though, damn near survival horrer like as I was scrounging everywhere for ammo, health and eve. Still love the Sky hook, though no areas used it as well as some of the better sections of Infinite. The story was cool, the length was about what I expected from a DLC this gen, and Rapture looks gorgeous.

If you liked Bioshock and Infinite, then there is no reason not to get this. It's a clever mix of the two, and well worth my season pass. WIsh more DLC did interesting stuff continuing the story like this did.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
A Reminder:

THIS DLC COST IS 15.00$
THE SEASON PASS COST IS 20.00$
IF YOU PLAN ON PLAYING THE NEXT EPISODE, IT WOULD BE MORE COST EFFICIENT TO GET THE SEASON PASS.

that's all,thanks!

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Wow this is really stupid hard. They really don't give you enough ammo to deal with some encounters. :/

It's making it really unenjoyable because I keep dying, and I'm only on hard.
May be I should get this DLC after all...

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Just beat it, took my time and finished at a bit over 3 hours. I'm quite satisfied. Love the atmosphere and return to Rapture. Can't wait to see where things go in Episode 2, wouldn't mind it being a bit longer though. A solid 5 hours would be nice for part 2 but I'm guessing it'll be about the same.

Kind of wish we still had some different Columbia based DLC with one of the alternate Elizabeths from the Infinite ending, but I liked this, here hoping part 2 really seals the deal.

Levine has some serious explaining to do after that ending.

Can't wait to play Episode Two.

Oh, and being able to carry more than two weapons is awesome...fixed one of my biggest complaints with the main game.

malfcn

A Reminder:

THIS DLC COST IS 15.00$
IF YOU PLAN ON PLAYING THE NEXT EPISODE, IT WOULD BE MORE COST EFFICIENT TO GET THE SEASON PASS.

that's all,thanks!

I thought that was the point of the Season Pass.
Advertise it as over 40% in savings, and then price part of it for 75% of the sale price.

Eusis

A Reminder:

THIS DLC COST IS 15.00$

that's all,thanks!
I don't really get why this is even $15. Seems that this and Episode II for $10 each would've made more sense with the horde mode DLC as effectively a freebie. Though I guess they can claim bigger savings this way.

Ah well, seems nice so far.

afoni

Banned
Can't wait for the next episode, if only because I remember what Levine was saying about the kind of playstyle that'll be required to get through it alive back when Clash in the Clouds came out.

pa22word

Anyone remember what the code you get at the start of the second level is? I just got to the part where you use it on the door to get the new gun, but I seem to be missing the transcript of the audio log in my inventory.

I don't really get why this is even $15.

To sell more season passes.

Stellares

It was so disappointing, and it didn't even have a good story to rely on this time.
It felt like a parody of rapture more than anything, with all the citizens just spouting dialog that just felt so forced and unnatural. The person who did the movie clip voice overs sure didn't help in that regard, it felt like he was hamming it up. I feel in many ways, it cheapened rapture for me. It feels like they molded rapture to be a clone of Columbia, just one with an ocean in the background instead of sky. I get that was the point of the infinite's storyline, but I always felt like rapture had a distinct personality from Columbia and that was not present here.

The whole experience was like deja vu. The first part consisting of looking at the "lively" city and listening to inconsequential dialog, followed abruptly with getting thrown into an entirely different contained and dilapidated area where the hoards of enemies are. The combat is not rewarding and it is such a pain to engage in battle after battle. It seems like there was a lot less ammo/health available so it made things all the more difficult and it all felt like a chore. I was actually glad that after 2 hours, it was over.
Even the ending felt like I was watching the end of infinite again.
I realize I can't have huge expectations for DLC, but this could have been more.

Levyne

Banned
Yeah, I thought it was a little abrupt going from the non-combat to the combat.

Minor Spoilers
Look at Rapture, alive and vibrant!

Except for the department store. Already splicers in there. Have fun!

Marjar

Banned
May be I should get this DLC after all...

It is actually pretty hard. It was jarring for me because I'm so used to Infinite's more shoot out style. This is definitely more of the scarce ammo, stealthy game that the first Bioshock was.

Yeah, I thought it was a little abrupt going from the non-combat to the combat.

Minor Spoilers
Look at Rapture, alive and vibrant!

Except for the department store. Already splicers in there. Have fun!

That was a separate part of Rapture that formerly belonged to Fountaine, which Ryan sunk and started using as a prison for his followers.

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
I need a spoiler thread to discuss the ending.

I don't really know why (ending spoilers for both main game and DLC)
some of you are mentioning the "killing all Comstocks" thing. This DLC could easily take place in another universe but "before" Elizabeth ends Booker/Comstock. Also, isn't it possible that Elizabeth and Sally are somehow connected and Elizabeth just needed Booker to get to Sally? I am interested to see how episode two plays out since it still seems like Elizabeth can't really hold off waves of splicers even if she is a badass.

I'm a little perplexed at some of the "it's so short" (like someone said 1.5 hours earlier - how? did you sprint the entire time? lol). I've been playing for around 4 hours and still not done. Been taking my time and exploring completely. Because of the reviews and what people said, I expected to be done far sooner. It's a lot larger than I thought it would be. In any case, I'm really enjoying it. :)

I believe I was around one and a half hours. Didn't sprint, got a fair amount of the achievements and died twice.

Finished it at just over 2 hours, not really sure what to think. Didn't see the ending coming at all, nor was I really expecting any crazy twists despite the fact that it's quickly become the norm for the franchise. Loved the ending. Definitely enjoyed my time with the DLC, although it has some serious issues (outside of how laughably short it is).

One thing I'm not entirely clear on is why
the "plasmids" are identical to the vigors in Infinite, and none of the mechanics or plasmids from Bioshock 1&2 return (such as syringes, etc)
. Seems exceedingly lazy as did quite a few other things throughout the experience, particularly some of the voice acting.

Finished it at just over 2 hours, not really sure what to think. Didn't see the ending coming at all, nor was I really expecting any crazy twists despite the fact that it's quickly become the norm for the franchise. Loved the ending. Definitely enjoyed my time with the DLC, although it has some serious issues (outside of how laughably short it is).

One thing I'm not entirely clear on is why
the "plasmids" are identical to the vigors in Infinite, and none of the mechanics or plasmids from Bioshock 1&2 return (such as syringes, etc)
. Seems exceedingly lazy as did quite a few other things throughout the experience, particularly some of the voice acting.

Heard a radio ad stating Plasmids are now in a drinkable form for those that hate needles. Seriously.

Heard a radio ad stating Plasmids are now in a drinkable form for those that hate needles. Seriously.

I overheard that as well, had me chuckling for a bit. There's also the PSA about
tears appearing throughout Rapture, which makes it even worse for me because of the implication that someone in Rapture saw the vigors through a tear, and then directly copied them. At the same time, this is completely at odds with the previous iteration of plasmids. Why would they develop stuff like Incinerate and Electro Bolt only to replace them with Devil's Kiss and Shock Jockey?

I overheard that as well, had me chuckling for a bit. There's also the PSA about
tears appearing throughout Rapture, which makes it even worse for me because of the implication that someone in Rapture saw the vigors through a tear, and then directly copied them. At the same time, this is completely at odds with the previous iteration of plasmids. Why would they develop stuff like Incinerate and Electro Bolt only to replace them with Devil's Kiss and Shock Jockey?

I may be crazy, but I believe I recall Levine stating that this is a different Rapture than the one we visited as Jack and Delta.

I may be crazy, but I believe I recall Levine stating that this is a different Rapture than the one we visited as Jack and Delta.

I'd certainly hope so, good to know. As long as it's explained somewhere, I can deal with it. Certainly would have preferred them
implementing the previous mechanics, but eh.

Jtrizzy

Played about an hour, it's good for me so far. They are so good with atmosphere. The art is so amazing at 1080p60 on a plasma. Looks like you are playing a painting as Jaffe once said.

I need a spoiler thread to discuss the ending.

I don't really know why (ending spoilers for both main game and DLC)
some of you are mentioning the "killing all Comstocks" thing. This DLC could easily take place in another universe but "before" Elizabeth ends Booker/Comstock. Also, isn't it possible that Elizabeth and Sally are somehow connected and Elizabeth just needed Booker to get to Sally? I am interested to see how episode two plays out since it still seems like Elizabeth can't really hold off waves of splicers even if she is a badass.

Eurogamer's Burial at Sea ending analysis with Levine suggests that
this Comstock escaped Elizabeth's purge because he wasn't in a Comstock universe anymore. She collapsed all of those by murdering Booker before he could become Comstock. But a Comstock already in another universe (Rapture) was safe. And that's why she's there now, to mop up.
Seems legit.

Almost finished with it. I'm actually surprised how much better the reviews made it out to be. Everybody has their own opinion, but I'm quite enamored with it. It wasn't a disappointment waiting, as far as I'm concerned.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Any idea when this might go live in Europe?

Finished it and liked it a lot. I never found bucking bronco though-that was my favorite Tonic in Infinite.

After the ending, I'm wondering
Why did Elisabeth even bother with the subterfuge. Why drag this out?

barrbarr

Hey, does anyone know if this is already out on PSN? I tried to find the DLC, but it isn't showing up on the playstaition store. I'm in the UK is there a different release date?

TimeInc

Hey, does anyone know if this is already out on PSN? I tried to find the DLC, but it isn't showing up on the playstaition store. I'm in the UK is there a different release date?

Yeah I just read that it comes out today on the UK PSN. I don't have a clue what time though unfortunately.

Holy shit THAT ENDING!!!

You guys weren't kidding.

Damn, Elizabeth is pissed, she isn't going to let a single version of Comstock get away. Baby Liz going through the tear... damn... that made me cringe. This one went so terribly wrong that he just ran away from it all.

Took me 2 and a half hours on hard, I definitely feel like it was worth half the money I paid for the season pass. Rapture looks glorious and there are lots of places to check out.

Can't wait to play episode 2, finally playing as Liz will be awesome.

Top Bottom