• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea |OT| Episode One

Fuchsdh

According to this, it was the same voice actor. I did think he sounded weird at first until he started yelling "no, no, no!"
Huh. Don't trust Wikipedia, but I guess I just don't get why he entirely changed registers. Cohen in the first game had this very high, elevated voice in the first game most of the time--in this one he speaks in a much more natural, low tone most of the time.

If Suchong's the same guy though, I'll eat my hat.

Question:

Did it ever explain why eve and plasmids were consumable in this Rapture rather than being injected? Thought Ken said there was a cool reason for this, but I must have missed it.

Yeah. In this universe's Rapture,
Suchong sees Fink stealing his ideas, but steals a few back--like apparently Fink figured out how to make the plasmids be absorbed through the stomach lining, hence drinkable plasmids with no needles.

finished it. Man when I first fired the game up I was instantly taken back to when I first played it. That menu music is powerful. Damn good game.

ElRenoRaven

You know. I've loved everything Bioshock and this is no different. That ending though damn. I actually didn't really see it coming. Will be interesting to see where they take Part 2.

Apdiddy

Just finished Burial At Sea Episode 1. Every time I think I'm done with BioShock Infinite (and this after getting a Platinum!), I find something new to enjoy about it.

My thoughts/questions:

So it's obvious that this version of Booker/Comstock escaped from the purge at the end of BioShock Infinite. But is this Rapture the same Rapture as in BioShock & BioShock 2? I'm not exactly convinced -- as came back up again in the game, "constants and variables" and the quote from Einstein....although I would hope that Burial at Sea Ep2 will explore 'everything happening at once' as you play as Elizabeth.

Also, how does Booker/Comstock know about ADAM? As was established in BioShock 1, the Little Sisters are filled with ADAM and Suchong uses ADAM to make Eve. Is it possible that prior to content starting that Booker in this reality has been spliced? He did also make mention that he knew of the side effects it caused -- it sounded almost like he was experiencing them himself.

The Big Daddy -- given what we know about BioShock -- are they clones/variables of Booker/Comstock? They seem to have the same idea to protect the Little Sisters (unless that is throw me off completely).

I was surprised/glad that they didn't attempt anything with Andrew Ryan and Booker DeWitt. Based on the ending to BioShock Infinite, people would (naturally) think that Ryan = Booker = Comstock. I'm hoping that we'll find out more in Ep2 but I suspect that he's totally separate from Infinite (beyond the "constants and variables" mentioned earlier).

Bucking Bronco is found
in Electronics to the right of the 2nd vent and the Oven Of The Future audio diary in the electrified pool of water.

Hm, I'll have to get it next time I replay it. I swear I looked everywhere for that damn "plasmid." D: lol

Like you mean in the area toward the end of the game with all the different departments like the book store, toys, appliances, etc, right?

Fuchsdh

Just finished Burial At Sea Episode 1. Every time I think I'm done with BioShock Infinite (and this after getting a Platinum!), I find something new to enjoy about it.

My thoughts/questions:

So it's obvious that this version of Booker/Comstock escaped from the purge at the end of BioShock Infinite. But is this Rapture the same Rapture as in BioShock & BioShock 2? I'm not exactly convinced -- as came back up again in the game, "constants and variables" and the quote from Einstein....although I would hope that Burial at Sea Ep2 will explore 'everything happening at once' as you play as Elizabeth.

Also, how does Booker/Comstock know about ADAM? As was established in BioShock 1, the Little Sisters are filled with ADAM and Suchong uses ADAM to make Eve. Is it possible that prior to content starting that Booker in this reality has been spliced? He did also make mention that he knew of the side effects it caused -- it sounded almost like he was experiencing them himself.

The Big Daddy -- given what we know about BioShock -- are they clones/variables of Booker/Comstock? They seem to have the same idea to protect the Little Sisters (unless that is throw me off completely).

I was surprised/glad that they didn't attempt anything with Andrew Ryan and Booker DeWitt. Based on the ending to BioShock Infinite, people would (naturally) think that Ryan = Booker = Comstock. I'm hoping that we'll find out more in Ep2 but I suspect that he's totally separate from Infinite (beyond the "constants and variables" mentioned earlier).

It's definitely not the same Rapture--the drinkable, syringe-less plasmids and eve are an example.

As for how Comstock knows about ADAM, I think the idea is that Booker *has* actually been in Rapture for some time--I don't think he wakes up in that universe when Elizabeth pops in.

The Big Daddies are Big Daddies. No relation to Comstock. Their appearance does raise some questions for me regarding Bioshock's timeline, which has always seemed a bit off to me...

So presumably Big Daddies had to be in service before they were used to protect little sisters, correct? I thought they mentioned that the protector program and the "daddy" name came from them being attacked by splicers, and Suchong's corpse suggests this happened in 1959--it seems bizarre even in the midst of the Civil War his corpse wasn't cleaned up. So did they essentially retcon big daddies to being an earlier invention?

Apdiddy

It's definitely not the same Rapture--the drinkable, syringe-less plasmids and eve are an example.

As for how Comstock knows about ADAM, I think the idea is that Booker *has* actually been in Rapture for some time--I don't think he wakes up in that universe when Elizabeth pops in.

I almost feel like he did wake up in that universe when Elizabeth popped in. Remember from BioShock Infinite? "The mind adapts and forms new memories." So Booker's knowledge of what goes on in Rapture could be constructed from that. Also, Booker isn't quite sure how long he has been in Rapture. More than likely, you're right and he has been in the Rapture universe for awhile.

The Big Daddies are Big Daddies. No relation to Comstock. Their appearance does raise some questions for me regarding Bioshock's timeline, which has always seemed a bit off to me...

So presumably Big Daddies had to be in service before they were used to protect little sisters, correct? I thought they mentioned that the protector program and the "daddy" name came from them being attacked by splicers, and Suchong's corpse suggests this happened in 1959--it seems bizarre even in the midst of the Civil War his corpse wasn't cleaned up. So did they essentially retcon big daddies to being an earlier invention?

I almost think that fits with the 'parallel Rapture' that's going on.
It was never explained how Rapture was built/maintained in the original BioShock --- you only saw the breakdown of it.
Big Daddies appearing earlier than expected could very well be another example of
inventions being pulled from the tears seen by Suchong....maybe Suchong saw the Big Daddy from the original BioShock Rapture-verse and pulled it in.

pa22word

So I just finished it. Glad I got this for free via GMG snafu because if I had wasted 15/20 on this I would have been *livid*.

Can I ask a dumb question. I have the PC version of Bioshock Infinite and it's my GOTY so far (beat it twice) but I had to do a full system restore on my PC recently (got the infinite repair loop on my Asus laptop). I'm sure I lost all my Infinite saves on Steam. Can I play this so long as I have Infinite installed or do I have to have an end game save?

Fuchsdh

I almost think that fits with the 'parallel Rapture' that's going on.
It was never explained how Rapture was built/maintained in the original BioShock --- you only saw the breakdown of it.
Big Daddies appearing earlier than expected could very well be another example of
inventions being pulled from the tears seen by Suchong....maybe Suchong saw the Big Daddy from the original BioShock Rapture-verse and pulled it in.

Huh, so I just finished reading the "Rapture" novel they produced to tie BS 1 and 2 together, and there they produced the Big Daddy's in '58, with the dead-man harvesting of the little sisters coming from Suchong after Fontaine gets taken down in that year. They'd been experimenting with increasing the durability of the divers for years before that--so I guess you can assume there were workers wearing stuff that became the big daddy apparatus later on before then.

It doesn't quite mesh with Suchong's death nicely, but that's always been an issue I had with the series--dead bodies and audiotapes were always presented too conveniently. Even if we assume no one bothered cleaning up Suchong's corpse, why was he working at his old digs in what was Atlas' turf? The book (while probably not technically canon) makes it clear the poor districts were his turf, and the games heavily imply it as well.

The whole Sophia Lamb thing still makes little sense. Oh well.

Lijik

I really should not have played Minerva's Den before this. It schools it in almost every way. Even the first half walking around Rapture isn't as interesting as I'd hoped. I figured thered be more puzzles and interaction with people. The bit with Cohen was spectacular though and I did appreciate walking around pre-civil war rapture.

I really liked the combat in Infinite, but it didn't grab me here. Took too long focusing on standard Splicers and the two plasmid varieties they add in near the end are boring to fight. I had hoped bringing back the skyhook meant they'd expand the rails mechanic but it feels underutilized even compared to Infinite and I rarely felt the need to use it because of that.

I loved the atmosphere of the whole thing and the presentation as always was through the roof, but the gameplay just wasn't there. Even the narrative felt kind of direct-to-dvd sequel esque after you
wind up at the department store turned prison
and ESPECIALLY at the
end reveal of being a comstock who somehow skipped Infinite's ending by moving to Rapture or something. Felt hokey, like Levine sat down and said "Well its a Bioshock, so gotta make sure theres a big CUH-RAAAAZY twist!"

I hate sounding down on this because I did want to enjoy it, and I hope part 2 is better.

EDIT- So I sound less down, I did think the length was just right and I was enjoying the walk about section until I reflected upon it and wished more was done in it.

Just finished it, like everyone else seems to be doing. Got all the achievements in one go, had to look up one or two of the audio log locations tho. I gotta say I liked it, definitely short and sweet. And now to wait for part 2....

Guri

Can I ask a dumb question. I have the PC version of Bioshock Infinite and it's my GOTY so far (beat it twice) but I had to do a full system restore on my PC recently (got the infinite repair loop on my Asus laptop). I'm sure I lost all my Infinite saves on Steam. Can I play this so long as I have Infinite installed or do I have to have an end game save?

If you have Steam Cloud enabled, then it saved your save files. Either way, the DLC is accessed from a different menu, so it's ok.

Are the Big Daddies aesthetically and mechanically the same as they were in Bio1, i.e. AI's that go about doing their own thang until you interfere?

The omission of a similar entity was 100% the biggest detractor from Infinite, in my opinion.

Marjar

Banned
Are the Big Daddies aesthetically and mechanically the same as they were in Bio1, i.e. AI's that go about doing their own thang until you interfere?

The omission of a similar entity was 100% the biggest detractor from Infinite, in my opinion.

There's only one Big Daddy, and no he's just a boss fight.

That ending.

Cold and brutal.

But anyway...

So is the Elizabeth that kills you in the end the Elizabeth that you stick with throughout Infinite? Makes perfect sense that her much less optimistic personality would carry over within this world

Can someone answer that?

Gazzawa

Burial at Sea?
More like Boobs at Sea?
Amiright?
63b42d01219f022eb69d2a8b8fdc5e406ffab5dc.jpg__620x300_q85_crop_upscale.jpg

sorry i'm late elzar

That ending.

Cold and brutal.

But anyway...

So is the Elizabeth that kills you in the end the Elizabeth that you stick with throughout Infinite? Makes perfect sense that her much less optimistic personality would carry over within this world

Can someone answer that?

It's definitely
her. Her reference to "constants and variables" along with "her father" and the pinky thimble too. It's gotta be here.

That ending.

Cold and brutal.

But anyway...

Can someone answer that?

It's her. Levine confirmed it even before it was released. This Comstock was a lose end. Don't ask me what she'll be doing in episode 2 though. Levine hinted that it will take us back to Columbia.

I don't get it.
There's the songbird which is basically a flying big daddy. The dinamyc between it and Liz is the same as between a big daddy and a little sister.

Whoa, really? Oh man, where did he hint that?

Hurry! Salivate my curiosity!

Eurogamer interview which has been linked several times on the last couple of pages.

Here:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-12-ken-levine-discusses-bioshock-infinite-burial-at-sea-episode-1-ending

It would also be a surprise not to again glimpse Columbia - Infinite's airborne setting that we never really said goodbye to. How about an 'after the fall' version of that? Or a final glimpse, at least, just as Rapture appeared in Infinite? "How do I answer that..." Levine laughs. "Erm, next question?

Eurogamer interview which has been linked several times on the last couple of pages.

Here:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-12-ken-levine-discusses-bioshock-infinite-burial-at-sea-episode-1-ending

It would also be a surprise not to again glimpse Columbia - Infinite's airborne setting that we never really said goodbye to. How about an 'after the fall' version of that? Or a final glimpse, at least, just as Rapture appeared in Infinite? "How do I answer that..." Levine laughs. "Erm, next question?

Oh boy, I have my fingers crossed, heh. I can't wait to see what Irrational makes next generation.

Levyne

Banned
I dunno, I'm already second guessing the season pass value at the 20 dollar price. Seems not really worth it at anything higher, imo. Unless you are really a fan.

Lijik

I don't get it.
There's the songbird which is basically a flying big daddy. The dinamyc between it and Liz is the same as between a big daddy and a little sister.

I think the poster specifically was talking about enemy behavior. Everyone in Infinite is always "on" so to speak. In contrast you could be in the middle of fight and as long as he doesnt get hit, the Big Daddy will just stroll on through not minding a thing.

I think the less open nature of much of Infinite's level design is probably what kept that from happening.

I love being back in rapture. But man was that short, like I mean no offense but I have played longer demos of games.... I still love the art, explored every nook and cranny (only Bioshock games make me do that) but even taking my time that was one short experience.

I dunno, my issue in Infinite was the sheer numbers hitting you on all sides. The enemy encounters are much easier to handle especially with the roaster.

I guess it depends on how good you are at certain encounters, I suppose. But I finished Infinite on 1999 Mode thriving, with tons of money and was constantly kept up the nose with ammo and other stuff, so I'm pretty good at the game by now.

Levyne

Banned
I guess I'm pretty bad at the game, on normal I found myself hiding a lot and scrounging for ammo, haha. I never died though, so at least it's not that shameful.

SkylineRKR

This was an excellent piece of DLC. I enjoyed it from beginning to end. Its also a fair bit harder than Infinite.

But there is one issue I have with it and its that its indeed way too short. Just when I had everything, it sadly ended.

But with the Season pass its not all that expensive DLC really. You'll get 2 Episodes plus the horde mode.

I think I'm half way through Episode 1 and I'm liking it a lot. I've only died twice so far but I have run out of ammo pretty quickly.

SnakeEyes

Banned
Just buy the season pass people.

Is the math not simple enough?
I think some people have the notion that the season pass will disappear as soon as the content becomes available. If you're planning to buy both episodes of Burial at Sea, just buy the Season Pass and get the added bonuses of the Weapons/Tonics/Gear pack and, if you're that way inclined, Clash in the Clouds.

Vodh

I loved Infinite for that unfamiliar, creepy vibe of a universe I don't fully understand and I think it's even stronger in this version of Rapture.

And I want an Elizabeth with a giant thimble covering her neck, at least as a fan-art.

ButchCat

I think there is a plot hole that was placed deliberately to trick the player.
Why is A.D tattooed on the hand if you were Comstock all along?
It breaks the continuity.

Either way Burial at Sea rekindled my love for Rapture, the lighting is gorgeous in the game. Also, don't listen to the critics, the game clocked at 5 hours for me after exploring every nook and cranny.

Edit: Also, playing hard in BaS is like playing 1999 mode in Infinite, so be warned.

I think there is a plot hole that was placed deliberately to trick the player.
Why is A.D tattooed on the hand if you were Comstock all along?
It breaks the continuity.

Either way Burial at Sea rekindled my love for Rapture, the lighting is gorgeous in the game. Also, don't listen to the critics, the game clocked at 5 hours for me after exploring every nook and cranny.

Edit: Also, playing hard in BaS is like playing 1999 mode in Infinite, so be warned.

I assume he just tattooed it on his hand as another way to "become" Booker (like shaving his beard). It's obviously not the same AD that the real Booker has (which he actually branded on his hand, far more painful I'm sure) and looks more like a tattoo or ink drawing. He was trying to become Booker and escape what happened.

And yeah, the DLC lasted me around 5 as well. Plenty long and a lot of fun. :) And I agree, even on "Hard", I was getting my ass kicked and had little ammo.

Vodh

No idea how you guys managed to squeeze 5h out of that. Loved it, but without going for 100%, double-checking all the rooms to make sure you didn't miss anything and dying a whole bunch of times there's no way BaS is 5h.

But hey, more power to you. Just want to keep them expectations in check.

I think what took me the longest was in the beginning, I would stop and listen to every NPC convo, and I'd go back to most of them at least once more because they generally had more lines of dialogue. And I stopped to take screenshots often because of how gorgeous Rapture was now. I went on Youtube later to just see how other people played after reading comments of beating it so quickly, and some of those youtubers... they just sprinted from the moment you leave Booker's office all through Rapture (ignoring NPCs and looking around). I don't see how/why people play games like that, but it's their money/time. xD But anyways, I did take my time exploring and getting all audiologs/gear and just looking around for money, etc. I always take a long time with my games, though.. I think it took me 25~ hours on the main game (Bioshock Infinite) whereas most people beat it in half that time, lol.

Top Bottom