• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Myth: Wukong leaked preview by PureXbox

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

Monkey King Wukong GIF by GIPHY Gaming

Hohenheim

I wanna go in blind here, but the headline "Black Myth is phenomenal" is quite promising and enough for me to start the media blackout for this title.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
"Game of the year"? "Phenomenal"? I just don't see it in this preview at all. The real question for me now is that does the combat actually feel good or not.

I gotta be honest, limiting combat to just one staff which feels and sounds like a toy stick is not a good idea. Also, it doesn't look like the sound impact as well as enemy reaction to any of your attacks is there, which is not good for a melee combat game. Sifu, for example, has great sound feedback when you use melee weapons (even simple bottle throw into enemy's face feel great) as well as enemy reactions, whereas in Black Myth you just hit enemies hundreds of times and getting absolutely nothing in return visually and sound-wise.

Combat must feel and sound good as well as enemies should react to impacts of your attacks. If there's going to be a demo before release at some point (which I hope it will be), there's no way I'll be buying the game until I play the demo first to see how combat feels, cuz it's the most important thing this game has to offer and devs must nail it first and foremost.

Hohenheim

there's no way I'll be buying the game until I play the demo first to see how combat feels, cuz it's the most important thing this game has to offer and devs must nail it first and foremost.
Just buy and test for a while, then refund if you don't like it?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
No blocking only dodging means the combat needs space, which suggests to me its mainly going to be boss arenas, which will greatly effect the overall world design.
Definitely need more info because for me, no matter how satisfying the big fights are, the connective gameplay between needs to be just as engaging.

Ferdimage

Watched a few minutes and realised, I dont want to spoil too much of the game/demo when it's released.
But from what I saw, if looks very smooth for a UE5 game.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
If this is a boss rush game, I'm not that interested, but if it's a fully explorable world a la Elden Ring, I'm in (if it plays well and the performance is good).

Fredrik

Disbelief due to the number of bosses (88). We don't have any info about this, though trailers show some exploration, NPCs and minor enemies.
Phew okay, earlier trailers has shown some map traversal segments so I was just surprised to see some talk about a boss rush.

RainyNguyen

Neo Member
So it's mostly boss rush, and dodging is the only defence option? lol, skip
There are roll, transform into stone to parry, climb the staff to avoid some attacks on the ground
Until i'm proven wrong, there's no way i'm believing it has 88 unique bosses. it'll have 20 at most with the rest being pallette swaps.
Lol, more than 40 bosses have been shown in all of their trailers, you can watch all the trailers/gameplay and count.

Roufianos

It does look great, I'd be surprised if it averages out any lower than an 8. Eastern devs continue to carry this generation.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Preview says it’s a contender for GOTY. The boss fights look great.

Skill tree, magic, and they say it’s more of an action game. lol Sign me up. They said its only Souls like attributes are the flask for health and defeating enemies to gain skills.

Last edited:
Preview says it’s a contender for GOTY. The boss fights look great.

Skill tree, magic, and they say it’s more of an action game. lol Sign me up. They said its only Souls like attributes are the flask for health and defeating enemies to gain skills.
Good, I hope it's more action oriented with skill trees. As much as I have loved all the Dark Souls through Elden Ring, I have finally grown tired of the same combat loop. To the point, I'm not even that excited for Elden Ring's DLC. Wukong looks to be expanding the action genre in an intriguing way

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I watched a gameplay video. There was parrying and dodging, I think, but it felt more like a mid-level action game taking inspiration from Sekiro(I'm taking a big risk here :messenger_grinning_sweat: ). Main character was doing the same combos repeatedly, and it wasn't as impressive as I expected. Normal enemies were kinda lame but bosses were cool. I'm not a fan of Chinese language either. I don't think this game will impact me as much as Lies of P, but I'm still eagerly waiting for the reviews.

It would be great if someone could watch this preview and provide a summary.

Update: I watched the video. I thought I needed to download something, but it can be streamed. It's a short 8-minute video anyway. The boss fights are very long, it's boring to watch but we will see if its fun to play. There are three stances, like in Nioh, I think. It's not a soulslike; he says it plays more like an action game. I think there's no parry, just dodge. He said it has GOTY material, but I can't say I was very impressed. However, the enemy types are very interesting; I saw things I wasn't very used to before, which is nice. My favorite move is when the main character hits the enemy on the head with a stick; it feels very satisfying even just watching it.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I guess I am the only one down for a boss rush type game without a whole bunch of open world filler and RPG elements?

DavidGzz

My concern with the game is if the one weapon will become boring after a while. Sekiro is the most boring From software game to revisit for me because of the one main weapon. Hopefully it has a robust skill tree and you can spec into pretty different builds in additional playthroughs.

My concern with the game is if the one weapon will become boring after a while. Sekiro is the most boring From software game to revisit for me because of the one main weapon. Hopefully it has a robust skill tree and you can spec into pretty different builds in additional playthroughs.
You can shape shifting to other enemies you've defeated and use their skills/attack move. So that should count as different weapons.

Last edited:

simpatico

Looks really good. Excited for this one. Russian and Chinese games could be an oasis for western gamers in the coming years. Being outside the DEI bubble and all. Crazy how west and east basically switched sides on the censorship topic.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Just buy and test for a while, then refund if you don't like it?
Yeah but... it's not that easy in Russia. Can Valve refund the game I bought using Steam wallet or does it have to be credit card?

I haven't refunded anything ever on Steam, moreover, some games I can buy only outside of Steam, so I rather not buy the game via Steam cuz then I have to buy something on Steam I don't even need or will be waiting a lot before there's something to buy and I don't need that.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Yeah but... it's not that easy in Russia. Can Valve refund the game I bought using Steam wallet or does it have to be credit card?

I haven't refunded anything ever on Steam, moreover, some games I can buy only outside of Steam, so I rather not buy the game via Steam cuz then I have to buy something on Steam I don't even need or will be waiting a lot before I there's somethin to buy and I don't need that.
They return credit back to your wallet or original payment method. I’ve not seen valve restrict refunds due to payment method other than no refunds on games unlocked via code, which makes sense.

Top Bottom