• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Myth Wukong | Two New Trailer released

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Atleast its NVIDIA sponsored.
DLSS is all but a given at launch

Im curious what RT features they are gonna be using, in an open world pretty much every RT feature is heavy and the game already look GPU heavy, even if it is Unreal Engine 5.

P.S The cutscene on their channel looks so much more attainable in a shipping game than the open world gameplay.
I guess their character rendering is still very currentgen.
But the open world stuff and the monsters look mad.

I think people who doubted this could be a game are gonna eating crow.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Now, this game looks pretty good. The amount of detail is very impressive.

The gameplay is a letdown though. It looks kinda clunky and the attacks lack impact.
The design is all over the place with narrow paths that the character slide through and animations that take way too long to finish (e.g. pick items up)

China has a strong workforce, but they need to invest in game design as well. Sheer power is not enough.
Except the critical attacks like when he stunned the dragon. Yeah, it does look like he is hitting some sorta hard object without any impact at all and the enemy was just attacking through his hits. Maybe the combat would feel completely different if you could cause physical marks? I don’t know if they need more push back/hit stun. It sure would make you feel more in control of the boss.

I like what I’m seeing. I just hope it pays off in the end and they make a fun game. The amount of folklore they put into it really looks alive. The spider looks good. If you’re just whiffing multiple attacks into thin air then that might make it seem less satisfying.

SeraphJan

The gameplay visual is not that good for 9th gen standard, the cutscene looks pretty nice (not the character model) but its just typical UE5 stuff

Last edited:

SeraphJan

Joking?

Graphics here look way better than other curent game ex sifu, stray, gotham knights, watch dog legion, far cry 6, elden ring, halo infinite, cod vanguard, etc
Some of example you have given I wouldn't consider 9th gen either, especially when you put Sifu in there, it had amazing gameplay, same goes Elden Ring

I find that there might a biased towards a games visual quality when they liked the content within it (if you like the exotic look of Chinese mythological design, that's cool, but it has nothing to do with visual quality)

When you look at Black myth Wukong from a UE5 standard (which was what the game built on), its actually pretty average, in fact its face model is pretty terrible. The environment which people was amazed at, its actually standard UE5 asset, the identical quality to many UE5 fan project which people so despised (Many fan UE5 demo do have impressive environment, its UE5 the engine that's actually amazing)

Don't get me wrong a Journey to the West game would be nice, but I think the game is a bit overhyped for its graphic, and its understandable, they did a very smart move of releasing a trailer before UE5 was a thing, it gave a good first impression with its previous video. But if you take in the factor of its release day, by the time it released many game would look way better. Even some of the already released stuff I found at least rivals it if not better, for example Horizon Forbidden West, Demon Souls, Last of Part Us part 2 etc (Although they are first party exclusive which is a bit unfair to compare to third party title)

----------------------------------------

Edit: The Matrix which had an actual playable demo that player could actually get their hands on, is way better than anything this game had shown which also utilized UE5. So are the other Triple A demo that was built on UE5.

Its hard for people to change their opinion of something that they had already established (which like I said the dev did a smart move), but consider the actual game is not going to release for 1-2 year, by then I would say its very average looking if it stay the same (and I would say very like to stay the same judging by the claim that they are already struggling with the frame rate for the 9th gen consoles)

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Don't get me wrong a Journey to the West game would be nice, but I think the game is a bit overhyped for its graphic,
Honestly what impressing me about this game is not the graphics but rather its creature designs, they look very mystical and fascinating.

One of my biggest issue with GOW 2018 is that not only enemy/boss variety was super lacking but the actual creature design was somewhat dull and boring in my opinion and it nothing to do with graphics or tech.

Last edited:

Fredrik

This is Unreal Engine 5 now, right?
Looks insane. Hopefully it’s not too linear, I want to explore this world. Art direction is so good. Main attacks lacks impact though but that can be improved. All in all I’m super impressed. The cutscene with the girls was top notch as well.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

Honestly what impressing me about this game is not the graphics but rather its creature designs, they look very mystical and fascinating.

One of my biggest issue with GOW 2018 is that not only enemy/boss verity was super lacking but the actual creature design was somewhat dull and boring in my opinion and it nothing to do with graphics or tech.
Yeah, this I totally agree, but we should also be a bit more fair, game that is based on Chinese mythology especially as grand as Journey to the West (I'm a huge fan of the JTTW novel by the way, its basically a guide book for Chinese monster design next to Shan Hai Jing, think it as how Lord of the Ring affected western fantasy) haven't had any triple A treatment in the past, to western audience its something totally fresh. The cultural shock value should not be ignored. Imaging if triple A game based on Chinese myth is as common as western fantasy, by that point people might probably burned out.

Last edited:

Fredrik

One of my biggest issue with GOW 2018 is that not only enemy/boss verity was super lacking but the actual creature design was somewhat dull and boring in my opinion and it nothing to do with graphics or tech.
Yeah this makes me think western devs are kinda stuck when it comes to design, not talking about GOW here but many western devs are focusing so much on reality and soldiers and guns that they miss out on using the medium to the max and just letting their imagination go wild.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Yeah this makes me thing western devs are kinda stuck when it comes to design, not talking about GOW here but many western devs are focusing so much on reality and soldiers and guns that they miss out on using the medium to the max and just letting their imagination go wild.
Yeah, in my opinion western devs focusing too much on realism is really killing art direction and designs for me, and it getting worse as tech and graphics becoming more advance. I personally dont play video games for realism I want to get immersed in mystical fantasy world.

Call me crazy but the visuals in some areas look a little downgraded, the fur doesn't look as good for one but a few other things look a little bit different too. It's still a great looking game don't get me wrong, better than most things out today but it's not quite as impressive overall as when they first showed it.

SeraphJan

Yeah this makes me thing western devs are kinda stuck when it comes to design, not talking about GOW here but many western devs are focusing so much on reality and soldiers and guns that they miss out on using the medium to the max and just letting their imagination go wild.
Yeah, in my opinion western devs focusing too much on realism is really killing art direction and designs for me, and it getting worse as tech and graphics becoming more advance. I personally dont play video games for realism I want to get immersed in mystical fantasy world.
This reminds me of a derogatory catch phrase in Chinese basically means "Car,Gun,Ball", its how Chinese audience view western triple A game in general, to them its always about Car and Gun and Sports

Last edited:

tibia

Neo Member
Agree with those saying this game is lacking the "IT" feeling. The Journey to the West folklore is fantastic. But I'm not yet sold on gameplay, and also don't see the big deal about environment/details some have mentioned.

Previous trailer was better (the one that had the journey to the west soundtrack and also showed the monkey king or whatever at the end)

Will need to see more.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

The gameplay visual is not that good for 9th gen standard, the cutscene looks pretty nice (not the character model) but its just typical UE5 stuff
eE0on5Z.jpg

Show me these standard games that look as good as this.
Sure TLOU2 looks amazing but that isnt the standard is using baked lighting and cant match this geometry detail.
Horizon Foribidden West gets trumped by this on pure geometry detail let alone art direction.
Demons Souls Remake looks early gen while this looks mid gen, you can see advancement in lighting, texture detail, clutter density and geo quality.
And none of these games are standard....cuz they are stand outs.

So what standard games exactly are you talking about that trump this?

Ribi

Any game that either looks cool or is ambitious and has been in dev for more than 2 years.

"Games never coming out and is a tech demo or X looks bad" - gamers

You get the same responses for atomic heart

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
eE0on5Z.jpg

Show me these standard games that look as good as this.
Sure TLOU2 looks amazing but that isnt the standard is using baked lighting and cant match this geometry detail.
Horizon Foribidden West gets trumped by this on pure geometry detail let alone art direction.
Demons Souls Remake looks early gen while this looks mid gen, you can see advancement in lighting, texture detail, clutter density and geo quality.
And none of these games are standard....cuz they are stand outs.

So what standard games exactly are you talking about that trump this?
Why are you cherypick only playstation games for comparison🤣 those three are way better class above most multiplat games these days fukin haters gona hate🤣

Last edited:

Black_Stride

Why are you cherypick only playstation games for comparison🤣 those three are way better class above most multiplat games these days fukin haters gona hate🤣
Cuz those are the games Starforce chose to mark the "standard"........I wanted him to list these standard games and he mentioned a bunch of PS first party titles?

But im the hater?
Even some of the already released stuff I found at least rivals it if not better, for example Horizon Forbidden West, Demon Souls, Last of Part Us part 2 etc

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Looks great, really liked the monster design specialy for that chinese dragon at the end.
Combat animations could look and feel a bit better, but I guess that's just a matter of polish.

Also, I don't get why people is calling this vaporware.

Fredrik

This reminds me of a derogatory catch phrase in Chinese basically means "Car,Gun,Ball", its how Chinese audience view western triple A game in general, to them its always about Car and Gun and Sports
Forza, Call of Duty, FIFA? While I don’t think it’s quite that bad western devs could certainly learn a thing or two from these new eastern devs, just avoiding to have a human as a main character feels fresh to me. Could’ve gone even further though but they’re staying within the myth so it’s understandable. The enemies are awesome too.

But there is a lack of impact in the attacks. Not sure what it is, if it’s the sound or weak reactive animations. Hoping they can fix that.

Soodanim

Gold Member
"We like Souls and Nioh, so let's make that but with Chinese mythology"

That's fine as a concept, but I thought the same as SlimeGooGoo SlimeGooGoo when watching. And those flaws being fundamental gameplay ones in a game designed around and for the combat leaves me ultimately disinterested.

Black_Stride

Looks incredible! Bullshit detector keeps going off though. I feel like we're in for some major downgrades when it releases. Anyone else find themselves making this face everytime they see this game?
kWnHQJc.jpg
Atleast theyve shown in running in editor.
So in theory a maxed out PC should match what they have shown.

If its supposed to be coming out on consoles x for doubt.
If theyve already updated to Unreal Engine 5.1 then maybe maybe.

Fredrik

Looks incredible! Bullshit detector keeps going off though. I feel like we're in for some major downgrades when it releases. Anyone else find themselves making this face everytime they see this game?
kWnHQJc.jpg
Tbh I see nothing in this gameplay trailer that looks fake, the previous one at the unveil got me curious though.

And I guarantee if this would be a console exclusive, or a FROM game, people would be in full hype mode, but when it’s on PC and a new dev they look through different glasses it seems.
I think it looks absolutely amazing.

The design of this game is just amazing.
Animation looks great. But i think Wukong attack animation maybe too fancy compare to the enemy attack animation. It make him looks floaty and doesn't have weight while attacking.
Was suprise how they design the Spider lady is an old hag lol. She supposed to be one of the most beautiful woman in the lore.

Last edited:

Pedro Motta

wtf is this running on? has to be a 3090 or something similarly powerful
It's called offline rendering in UE5, it's rendered in engine, but at like 1 frame per second with all detailed maxed out. Hellblade 2 did it in the first trailer released.

You can see this because you don't have the typical AA or DOF flaws that engines have when needed to be pushed to 30/60 fps.

EDIT: I'm talking aboutr the first cutscene, the second one is clearly gameplay, the hair is all fucked up.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
There is something about this game that just screams vaporware to me.
Same, in terms of visuals alone though, this is definitely up there with what I was expecting for "next-gen", although I feel like everything is sort of melting into one now. Last gen looked good we just needed higher res textures, stuff like full ray tracing and more consistency with the model quality (ie not just having high poly/detail main characters and then (in relative terms) mr potato head-looking NPCs and cardboard box environments).

For example, in Yakuza games if all the humanoid (ie just people walking around) models looked as good as the main characters, and the environment were a bit more detailed, with more dynamic lighting, it would look way better without them having to do much else to the underlying game.

Last edited:

hlm666

How many people in China are gaming on a top end RTX graphics card? What is their target market?
About as many as running around with top end iphones and android phones........... I'm really not sure what that has to do with things, it will be sold on steam/egs/ whatever to the world. It's still gotta be over a year away at least so the 3000 series gpus will be long out of production and people will be arguing about if the 4060 has outsold the 3060.

Mess

How many people in China are gaming on a top end RTX graphics card? What is their target market?

Probably a lot but why does that matter?

The design of this game is just amazing.
Animation looks great. But i think Wukong attack animation maybe too fancy compare to enemy. It make him looks floaty and doesn't have weight while attacking.
Was suprise how they design the Spider lady is an old hag lol. She supposed to be one of the most beautiful woman in the lore.

Ye the attacks of the protagonist - and the way enemies react to it - lack weight. The game looks amazing nonetheless, mobs design is incredible. Definitly keeping an eye on this.

Top Bottom