• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blackthorne - This game sucks pretty badly

Vieo

I've never heard of or had seen this game until a little while ago. I've been messing around with the 32x and SNES versions. During the load up of the game, I see Blizzard's logo. Did they have something to do with this 'disasterpiece' I wonder. It reminds me of Abe's Odyseey a LOT but without the fun, storyline, or interesting design. I hope they don't make a sequel.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
What? Are you nuts? Blackthorne is the best Flashback/Out of This World clone you'll ever find, I don't know about the console versions but the PC one rocked so bad.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
There's a port of this on GBA too. I don't know, I kind of like it. It's not great, but it's different from a lot of the same type of action platformers that were out at the time.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I remember it being pretty much just like the genesis version. I'd say if you liked it before, you'd like it again, but they didn't go out of there to make anything but a port of the console release.

I see it new for $20 sometimes. I don't think they sold many.

SantaC

Blackthorne isn't up to flashback/out of this world standard, but if you crave for more games in that genre, you should get this game.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Musashi Wins! said:
I remember it being pretty much just like the genesis version. I'd say if you liked it before, you'd like it again, but they didn't go out of there to make anything but a port of the console release.

I see it new for $20 sometimes. I don't think they sold many.

So that means the 32X version is still technically the best one? I remember that one being the most enhanced, graphically. Pity. I think the GBA game was a port of the SNES one, but I could be wrong.

And wasn't the GBA one always $20?

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Mejilan said:
So that means the 32X version is still technically the best one? I remember that one being the most enhanced, graphically. Pity. I think the GBA game was a port of the SNES one, but I could be wrong.

And wasn't the GBA one always $20?

You are probably right on both counts. I never played the 32x version. I thought the others look pretty nice for their time. I'm sure it was always cheap, I guess that I'm more suprised that I run into it new occasionally.

madara

Aye its age thing so your opinion is abit scued! Its like saying donkey kong jr sucks, it only has few levels and repeats. :lol

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Blizzard needs to make new versions of Blackthorne and Rock N' Roll Racing. :)

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Vieo said:
I've never heard of or had seen this game until a little while ago. I've been messing around with the 32x and SNES versions. During the load up of the game, I see Blizzard's logo. Did they have something to do with this 'disasterpiece' I wonder. It reminds me of Abe's Odyseey a LOT but without the fun, storyline, or interesting design. I hope they don't make a sequel.

Try plugging the joypad in. Blackthorne is awesome. One of the most understated SNES games.

Blackthorne kicked so much ass back in the day. The GBA port is so-so. Somehow they botched the color palette. I had much more fun with Blackthorne than I ever did with OOTW and Flashback.

FUCK YOU! Blackthorne is one of my favorite shooters, very methodical but fun. Great puzzles too.

Blizzard, come back to console game development :(

john2kx

the colors in the GBA port are exactly the same as on the SNES.

the thing that's noticeably different is the music.. in some areas, it sounds like a bit of it is missing, but not really.. sort of hard to explain.

Blackthorne was fun. The first part of the game (in the caves) was definitely my favorite. Got kinda old after that, IMO.

I liked Flashback a lot more.

john2kx said:
the colors in the GBA port are exactly the same as on the SNES.
black_screen012.jpg
black0.png

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The GBA game is pretty meh, I wouldn't recommend it unless you can pass the bad sound and screwed up color palette =/

The PC version is still the best, if features great adlib/sb music, red blood and 256 colors @ 320*240. I loved that game.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
It looks pretty weird in movement on the SP, so much I used to turn off the internal light when playing outside. Everything looks saturated.

Top Bottom