• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blasphemous 2 Announced

SJRB

Gold Member
Wow, out of nowhere. First one was sick. I take it the game will also release on other platforms?

Bartski

Gold Member
rD6Ehx6.jpg
324WXS7.jpg
OAX4VvW.jpg
ZMzfm0C.jpg
a9j36CF.jpg
IgZ8vju.jpg

First one was great, but the difficulty prevented me from finishing it. I managed to limp my way through Hollow Knight, but Blasphemous was on another level.
Interesting, to me, the spike jumping section in hollow knight seemed to blow anything in blasphemous out of the water difficulty wise.

Different smokes for different folks, I guess - or in this case, torture implements.

Needlecrash

I really enjoyed the 1st one. Still need to play it again for the true ending. Having 3 main weapons at his disposal, plus air dashing, will be quite an experience here.

SORROW BE THY HEART, PENITENT ONE. FOR THE MIRACLE GROWS.

Hot5pur

I somewhat enjoyed the first one, but it get a little boring / tedious at times. Also I couldn't follow the story or it made me not care enough, would have benefitted from being more straight forward and less cryptic.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I somewhat enjoyed the first one, but it get a little boring / tedious at times. Also I couldn't follow the story or it made me not care enough, would have benefitted from being more straight forward and less cryptic.
It approaches a lot of its story and lore like souls games in that it is in item descriptions.

That said the game did with its last dlc also get a true ending added, lots of bosses and cut scenes, and a lead into the sequel Final Cut scene .

kubricks

You kidding? Hollow Knight is much harder.

You sure? I am in the same boat. Completed Hollow Knight (and DLCs bosses) but Blasphemous is somehow very hard to me.
Not sure if it's the floaty jumping, or attack delays, or whatever, I just cannot get into it.
The instant death form falling and spike on a metroidvania style game is quite off putting tbh, might be that's the reason.

Fuz

Banned
You sure? I am in the same boat. Completed Hollow Knight (and DLCs bosses) but Blasphemous is somehow very hard to me.
Not sure if it's the floaty jumping, or attack delays, or whatever, I just cannot get into it.
The instant death form falling and spike on a metroidvania style game is quite off putting tbh, might be that's the reason.
Dunno. I didn't have any problems with Blasphemous, while Hollow Knight had me raging quire often.
And fuck the White Palace.

nkarafo

I like Blasphemous because it does 2D Pixel Art right.

The vast majority of modern "retro" or 2D games are either those low resolution games where you can't depict any detail (because the devs think "pixel art" means highly pixelated mosaic) or those awful cal-arts/adobe flash looking games with even more awful skeletal animations. There are exceptions but i think Blasphemous is one of the better ones.

The pixel art is higher resolution than a 16bit game but not as high as to lose it's pixel-ness and retro feel. So it looks like a good looking 2D Saturn game, sort of, which i believe is the best pixel art can look. The detailing/shading of the art/sprites is also well done. Shading is one thing most modern 2D games seem to lack, even the ones that are considered good looking without being too low res or suffering from skeletal animation. But they still tend to look very clean with flat coloring.

Needlecrash

Is that the ending where you need to deal with all the npc stuff? I went to try that one but screwed something up about halfway through and never tried again.
Yea, basically you're not supposed to fight one of the bosses and you have to meet with someone else first. When the DLC came out, I LITERALLY just beat the boss I wasn't supposed to. With NG+, you carry over all relics and your beads, so it'll make the experience much faster.

Is it me or it looks a bit more colorful and cartoony compared to the first one?
I've looked at all the footage that's out there and noticed there's a bit of an inconsistency with art styles. That skeleton priest looking boss looks extremely cartoony while other new NPCs/bosses clearly still have the much more morbid looking style. I'm not an expert, so it's hard to explain in detail but I agree that the art looks inconsistent. It's kind of in line with those goofy cartoon trailers they did at one point, I think to announce the DLC, that seemed completely at odds with the game's tone and art direction.

GymWolf

I've looked at all the footage that's out there and noticed there's a bit of an inconsistency with art styles. That skeleton priest looking boss looks extremely cartoony while other new NPCs/bosses clearly still have the much more morbid looking style. I'm not an expert, so it's hard to explain in detail but I agree that the art looks inconsistent. It's kind of in line with those goofy cartoon trailers they did at one point, I think to announce the DLC, that seemed completely at odds with the game's tone and art direction.
I was thinking the same exact thing about the skeleton boss.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
The vast majority of modern "retro" or 2D games are either those low resolution games where you can't depict any detail (because the devs think "pixel art" means highly pixelated mosaic) or those awful cal-arts/adobe flash looking games with even more awful skeletal animations.
Examples plz?

I was thinking the same exact thing about the skeleton boss.
As far as I recall, the first one has a few inconsistencies like that as well so for now I think I'm just cherry-picking a few examples and over-analyzing them. Let's be real, I'll buy this Day 1 and play the shit out of it anyway lulz.

But joking aside, yeah, whatever that skeleton boss art style is...it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Holammer

Store page on Steam is up.
Artwork looks like it had a subtle 32-bit upgrade, just a touch more detail and color, but still a restricted palette.

Store page on Steam is up.
Artwork looks like it had a subtle 32-bit upgrade, just a touch more detail and color, but still a restricted palette.

It's actually hard for me to tell because I played the original with the scanline option at all times. They're not great but 2D pixel art looks weird to me just...raw on a 55" modern TV.

Damn I just actually started playing the first the past couple of days and I've fallen in love with it. It's awesome to see this.

I can definitely see myself picking it up.

Top Bottom