• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Indiana Jones and the Great Circle launches this December, Avowed in November

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Report: Indiana Jones and the Great Circle launches this December, Avowed in November​

And Starfield's Shattered Space expansion could arrive in September.

Yesterday it was announced that Xbox would be holding its mega games summer showcase on the 9th of June. While we're all expecting Call of Duty news to follow the regular showcase, what is going to be packed in that initial show remains largely unknown.

However, a new report from The Verge's Tom Warren might indicate some release windows we'll see announced at this showcase. Namely, Warren expects that Indiana Jones and the Great Circle will see a December launch date, with Avowed getting a November one.

We already know Avowed is set for Autumn/Fall this year, and Indiana Jones and the Great Circle is slated for some time in 2024. Starfield's Shattered Space expansion is also meant to launch this Autumn, and we could see it in September. Of course, these aren't officially confirmed, so take them with your prescribed pinch of salt.

intbal

I really wish I could get excited about Indiana Jones, but...

9ZZZ4aM.jpeg

Ozriel

M$FT
Last time they showed Avowed it looked ROUGH and on track for a delay.

It certainly didn’t look THAT rough, and 9 months is more than enough time to polish up the title significantly for release.

It definitely needs polish and I hope they implement the feedback about the combat like they said they would.

Pretty decent year for MS. Those 2018 purchases of Ninja Theory and Obsidian took 6 years to bear fruit but they are going to have 3 AAA first party games this year after 3 last year which is as consistent as Ive ever seen from MS first party.

At least 5, when you add CoD and Flight Sim 2024.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
Same with the first time they showed the gameplay. In fact, I'd argue the most recent showing made it look worse. Still holding out hope, though. I think Obsidian is one of their top studios. They deserve better than being looked at as Other Bethesda. I've been wanting Avowed to prove it's the other way around.

adamsapple

Is that a good time to launch? Near CoD?
Hopefully they are good games and sell well.

I don't think there's much of an overlap between the CoD audience and the Indiana Jones or Avowed audience, tbh.

Pretty decent year for MS. Those 2018 purchases of Ninja Theory and Obsidian took 6 years to bear fruit but they are going to have 3 AAA first party games this year after 3 last year which is as consistent as Ive ever seen from MS first party.

Call of Duty is first party too :p

Yes it did lmao.
Environments look phenomenal. It's an Unreal 5 game.

Characters look rough, and they need to make the magic effects look better.

Being Obsidian, the main draw will be the RPG elements and story hopefully. Not expecting top tier graphics in all areas. Graphics wont really matter a ton if it's fun and turns out to have an interesting story.

Last edited:
Interesting to see a big game coming out in December. You don't tend to see it because it won't be able to qualify for any big rewards. Doubt Microsoft cares, but Sony rushed out SM2 in late November for that reason

adamsapple

Interesting to see a big game coming out in December. You don't tend to see it because it won't be able to qualify for any big rewards. Doubt Microsoft cares, but Sony rushed out SM2 in late November for that reason

Cyberpunk (and Avatar for what it's worth) were December games.

They're likely going to miss out on The Game Awards but like you said, I doubt they care that much. They probably want a good game out, not a rushed one, to avoid criticism.

They're likely going to miss out on The Game Awards but like you said, I doubt they care that much. They probably want a good game out, not a rushed one, to avoid criticism.
Might be a Disney call also. Avatar / Star Wars are always December in theaters.

Sethbacca

Indy FPS is a miss for me, but I'm hoping Avowed ends up being something worth playing. Starfield is likely to remain a mehhhhh

Same with the first time they showed the gameplay. In fact, I'd argue the most recent showing made it look worse. Still holding out hope, though. I think Obsidian is one of their top studios. They deserve better than being looked at as Other Bethesda. I've been wanting Avowed to prove it's the other way around.
What have Obsidian developed to earn that reputation? They have shown to be a very solid AA studio. I would take Arkane(Lyon), Tango games, and Machine Games all over Obsidian when it comes to Bethesda studios. Fallout New Vegas was their one beloved game, which used the assets from Fallout 3. Obsidian has not shown the ability to make a great AAA from the ground up. Avowed looks to be on the same scale as The Outer World, which I wouldn't even classify as a AAA game

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Avowed started out looking great, but honestly I'm not enthusiastic about where they went with the game. Indy.....just going to have to wait and see. I still think first person was a mistake. Hope I'm wrong about both.

Last edited:
And it's pretty easy to see how it lines up for the year after also. ID Software, Gears, South of Midnight, plus whatever else. Clockwork Revolution. They may have finally gotten their release cadence set up.

Varteras

Gold Member
What have Obsidian developed to earn that reputation? They have shown to be a very solid AA studio. I would take Arkane(Lyon), Tango games, and Machine Games all over Obsidian when it comes to Bethesda studios. Fallout New Vegas was their one beloved game, which used the assets from Fallout 3. Obsidian has not shown the ability to make a great AAA from the ground up. Avowed looks to be on the same scale as The Outer World, which I wouldn't even classify as a AAA game
It's my opinion you meanie!

Heart Love GIF by Sappy Seals

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
They actually have to be good games. The studios making them are good, but at this point I expect them to underwhelm at best or be shitty at worst. The track record for MS games just isn't there for me to have hope.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
They actually have to be good games. The studios making them are good, but at this point I expect them to underwhelm at best or be shitty at worst. The track record for MS games just isn't there for me to have hope.
True. I thought redfall and starfield missed the mark, but i liked forza. 1 out of 3 is not good but at least they are showing up. I remember years where they had zero games.

I think this year, i just know i wont like Hellblade 2 and Avowed, but at least they will be graphics showpieces for the console. And thats what first party is for.

Cyberpunk is not a great example. It's original release date was November, and even with an extra 3 weeks, it was still in an unplayable state on last gen consoles.

Regardless, it's cool a big game is coming out in December. I don't really care about game awards, but usually publishers, and especially the studios do. Which is why I think it is unique to see big games come out in December

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
True. I thought redfall and starfield missed the mark, but i liked forza. 1 out of 3 is not good but at least they are showing up. I remember years where they had zero games.

I think this year, i just know i wont like Hellblade 2 and Avowed, but at least they will be graphics showpieces for the console. And thats what first party is for.

I’m just hoping Indy is ok

Hellblade and Avowed do nothing for me but I’ll give them a shot, if only for HB2’s visuals and it’s only 4 hours long

Pretty weak year imho.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Avowed is reportedly using Nanite and Lumen, so it may end up being a dark-horse tech candidate too.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Forza is not exactly a complex game. Its a game that is constantly getting remade (same with Gran Turismo). Forza is good for what it is, but it's also the hardest of franchises MS owns to screw up.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Environments look phenomenal. It's an Unreal 5 game.

Characters look rough, and they need to make the magic effects look better.

Being Obsidian, the main draw will be the RPG elements and story hopefully. Not expecting top tier graphics in all areas. Graphics wont really matter a ton if it's fun and turns out to have an interesting story.
Feel like I'm getting gaslit here.

That is not what I would call "phenomenal." The story part they showed also looked stupid.

I want the game to be good. I'm not trying to be a hater. It just didn't look like it was going to be ready for 2024, although I suppose they could squeeze it in on December 13th or whatever if they feel it's ready.
It's Obsidian. They NEVER made a good looking game of their existence.
I dunno I thought Pillars of Eternity looked good.

Varteras

Gold Member
Forza is not exactly a complex game. Its a game that is constantly getting remade (same with Gran Turismo). Forza is good for what it is, but it's also the hardest of franchises MS owns to screw up.

Same reasoning why I stopped giving Playground the credit that I did and instead will wait to see how Fable shakes out.

Feel like I'm getting gaslit here.

That is not what I would call "phenomenal." The story part they showed also looked stupid.

I want the game to be good. I'm not trying to be a hater. It just didn't look like it was going to be ready for 2024, although I suppose they could squeeze it in on December 13th or whatever if they feel it's ready.

I dunno I thought Pillars of Eternity looked good.

I mean, this is Obsidian. They're a AA studio. This is the best looking environments they've ever made by a large margin. I don't think they're Naughty Dog or anything, but this looks great for Obsidian. Did you see that waterfall area? The water looks 100x better than Starfield.

Characters and magic effects look rough.

Last edited:

Ristifer

Hopefully they polish Avowed up the ass, but I'm still looking forward to these titles. Most likely means I'll be disappointed, but oh well.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Well, that was quite a while ago, and this is where crunch comes in. When they signed up to be videogame developers, it would reasonably be expected that there would be crunch near the shipping deadline.
Buckle up ladies......get ready for some 18 hour days!!!

adamsapple

We know what it looks like and it ain’t that lol

People had issues with the character models the last time the game was shown, no one really had a bad opinion about the games world and how the environments look, at least that's what I recall.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
Haha, I know. If it was only you saying it I wouldn't have said anything. But so many people love Obsidian and I just don't get it. At least when it comes to developing AAA games

Well I'll definitely admit that there are people who love them for the wrong reason. That being who their owner is these days. That being said, my friends and I preferred Obsidian entries in franchises like Fallout and KoTOR. Mind you, when I say I think Obsidian is one of their best studios, keep in mind that's not a particularly high bar for me. It's like winning a medal at the special olympics. I've just always felt they were better than Bethesda, whom I saw people many times compare them to. Should also keep in mind that I've never been a big Bethesda fan, either. A top dog studio over a decade ago but way beyond their prime these days.

Top Bottom