• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blinx - The Xbox Mascot that never was

Jubenhimer

We know the Xbox right, Microsoft Corporation's Mountain Dew powered beast of a gaming platform, home to some of the best and most underrated games of its generation. While it didn't touch the PS2's 155 million units sold (albeit over a much longer time length) it sold better than anyone expected, with a respectable 24 million sold worldwide. Aside from its surprise hit Halo: Combat Evolved, part of the Xbox's success IMO, was that it was sort of the "Anti-PS2". A powerhouse gaming-focused platform, catering to a niche audience hardcore gamers who like playing games on PC, as opposed to the mass market audience the PlayStation 2 attracted. Unlike Nintendo and Sega, Microsoft had no cartoon Mascot character to pimp the Xbox with. Halo was a hit, but it primarily attracted a more adult demographic.

So a small Japanese studio named Artoon (founded by former Sega staff) pitched the concept of a mascot platformer that would take advantage of the Xbox hardware, notably its 8GB Hard-drive which allowed the system to cache large amounts of data, and thus, reduce load times. Microsoft Game Studios greenlit the project after its boss, Ed Fries was impressed with Artoon's work, this birthed Blinx the Time Sweeper.

220px-Blinx_-_The_Time_Sweeper_Coverart.png

Released a whole year after the Xbox's original launch in 2002, Blinx was Microsoft's attempt to give the Xbox an official spokesman like Nintendo had with Mario, Sega with Sonic, and for a brief time, PlayStation with Crash Bandicoot. A Character that can sell the attitude and philosophy of your brand with appearance and gameplay alone. Mario's bouncy, friendly, attitude represents Nintendo console's general strength with family friendly games. Sonic's fast gameplay, and radical "Go Get Em" adventure attitude sold Sega Systems as edgy arcade powerhouses. And Crash's wacky attitude and irreverent style, sold the PlayStation as a subversive, surprising platform built on cinematic presentation.

Blinx was similar for Xbox. He had Green eyes, similar to the Xbox logo. A strong-willed, and cocky attitude to match the Xbox's unrivaled power. And a Time Manipulation Vacuum, to sell the Xbox's Hard-drive. Everything about his appearance screamed "Mascot". Blinx, much like the Xbox itself, was brash, cocky, and ready to play. Despite the seemingly surefire hit it was shaping up to be, Blinx's mascot position for the Xbox... Never happened, and the character faded into obscurity as Master Chief charged through to be the face of the brand. There are a few reasons I think why.

1. His games weren't too amazing - Blinx and its sequel are by no means bad games. They're fun little oddities that had some neat ideas. However, they weren't up to the quality of what a good mascot should be. The games were bogged down by awkward camera angles, stiff platforming, and insane difficulty spikes. Normally, a mascot is supposed to set a high standard of quality for other games on the system, but Blinx wasn't able to quite reach it. It felt a bit too unpolished for its own good.

2. Stiff competition - Blinx The Time Sweeper launched in 2002, and was already competing in a crowded market by that point. Nintendo finally gave GameCube owners something from the Red Italliano in Super Mario Sunshine. Sony Computer Entertainment also launched Insomniac's Ratchet & Clank and Sucker Punch's Sly Cooper: And The Theivious Raccoonis that year, which both went on to sell millions of copies and spawn countless sequels and spin-offs. Blinx, on top of his flawed game, wasn't able to keep up with the competition in that regard.

3. Indifference - Turns out, that the Xbox audience never particularly asked for a cartoon mascot to represent their platform. Like I said, the Xbox's strength, was a niche, hardcore gamer audience coming from the PC world. These were gamers who were more into Halo, and Dead or Alive, and other similar games. While there was hope by journalists that Blinx could become the face of Xbox, most gamers were more into Space Marines than Time Warping Cats.

Microsoft sought to seek a broader audience with the Xbox 360, as the "edgy green" marketing and "hardcore" angle of the original Xbox, were considerably toned down for the successor. That said, Microsoft charged forward with new creations like Gears of War, Kameo, Viva Pinata, and the Kinect, all on top of the continued success of Halo. Leaving Blinx to fade into the hall of dead IPs.

It's easy to see why Master Chief ended up as the face of Xbox in retrospect. I think he does a better job selling the philosophy of the brand better than Blinx could, despite not being a conventional mascot character.

Last edited:

Aion002

I didn't know about this game. Cool thread! Maybe if this game was released with the Xbox it might had more chances.

The problem was that Microsoft never needed Blinx. They’ve already got three great mascots. Conker and Banjo/Kazooie. And they are woefully under utilized.

You know what would turn the Series X into a hit? Banjo-Kazooie 3 and Conker 2. It’s a mystery to me why Microsoft keeps all this great IP locked away in the vault instead of reaching out and grabbing the pile of money that’s awaiting them.

waylo

Banned
I remember being so hyped for this game. I pre-ordered it and the dude working there thought I was nuts when I did that.

Turns out the game was really, really mediocre.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I had high expectations because of Naoto Oshima, which was a major co-creator of Sonic and NiGHTS.

He did kind of use some signature methods. For example, the Xbox was the only console with a hard-drive at the time, so in theory the engine of time manipulation would only be possible on Xbox.

But the character looked like a cat version of Poochie, and the game just wasn't good enough.

Blinx was created before Microsoft's purchase of Rare though.

That’s true. Still, they should’ve scrapped their plans for Blinx being the mascot and immediately went forward with the development of a Banjo-Kazooie 3 and made Banjo/Kazooie the mascot. They acquired Rare a few weeks before the first Blinx was released.

Microsoft wouldn’t to this day still be struggling to acquire an audience outside of the dudebros if they had exercised Rare’s IP to the fullest early on. They could’ve had the dudebros and a huge chunk of the Nintendo demographic because Rare had a legendary reputation back then and those were tested and proven franchises. But they blew it.

nikolino840

The problem was that Microsoft never needed Blinx. They’ve already got three great mascots. Conker and Banjo/Kazooie. And they are woefully under utilized.

You know what would turn the Series X into a hit? Banjo-Kazooie 3 and Conker 2. It’s a mystery to me why Microsoft keeps all this great IP locked away in the vault instead of reaching out and grabbing the pile of money that’s awaiting them.
Isn't started with Nintendo banjo kazooie?

Blinx and Voodoo Vince needed more nurturing..

Voodoo Vince looked atrocious. Aside from Sly and Ratchet, the design really tanked for these characters around that time (including Jak, the games themselves looked gorgeous but the characters looked like shit).

Xenon

Never cared for the design. It was like a Japanese company was trying to capture western style. It was an abomination.

bender

What time is it?
Man the first year of the Xbox was rough after an excellent launch (Halo + DOA + PGR). If not for Master Chief, the mascot for the platform would have been Blood Wake's water tech.

Last edited:

Lrnex

I like the design! I would have liked to have seen platformers remain relevant through that era but that was really the start of the dark and gritty militaristic shooter age. Blinx looks cooler than Super Lucky’s Tale at least

MaestroMike

Gold Member
I remember being really hyped up for the game when it was revealed at E3, but ended up never buying it. Just got Halo 1/2, Doa3 demo, Bioware games, Ninja Gaiden, GTA games and some others. I was more than satisfied.

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
Can I just say I'm shocked they didn't make Blinx 2 backwards compatible? That game is legitimately good and is far, far beyond being a mascot game and it still looks amazing

teezzy

Banned
Whenever I admit that I'm clamoring for a Blinx 3, people always assume I'm joking but Blinx 1 and 2 are two of my favorite Xbox titles. I grew up with that console, man. Fuck the haters.

Blinx is sweet. Fun puzzles. Cool design, idk what's not to enjoy. Shouldn't be a 'meme game.'

nordique

I don’t think banjo or conker would make series x more of a hit than halo

so if it’s not a hit with halo infinite, it won’t be because banjo and conker couldn’t save the system

I don’t think banjo or conker would make series x more of a hit than halo

so if it’s not a hit with halo infinite, it won’t be because banjo and conker couldn’t save the system

Xbox needs more than dudebro shooters and racing games. Sony keeps seeing success due to their diverse lineup of first and third party games. They’ve got edgy grimdark stuff and then they’ve got more cheerful games.

If Microsoft keeps trying to just be the dudebro company then they’ll keep getting their lunch eaten by Sony. They need more than Halo, Gears and Forza and the sad thing is it would be so easy for them because they’re already sitting on so much good IP from decades past.

I bought the first Blinx and didn't like it, and it was rare for me not to like a platformer when I was a kid. I remember the camera angles and the platforming being my main criticisms.

h00ters

I bought the first Blinx and didn't like it, and it was rare for me not to like a platformer when I was a kid. I remember the camera angles and the platforming being my main criticisms.
Spot on. I had it too. Clunky as all hell. Whilst it was mostly forgettable, I also remember it being really poorly explained. The in-game tutorials weren't great. My 13 year old brain couldn't really understand what I was supposed to be doing.

Much preferred Prince of Persia for my time travel platforming.

Xbox needs more than dudebro shooters and racing games. Sony keeps seeing success due to their diverse lineup of first and third party games. They’ve got edgy grimdark stuff and then they’ve got more cheerful games.

If Microsoft keeps trying to just be the dudebro company then they’ll keep getting their lunch eaten by Sony. They need more than Halo, Gears and Forza and the sad thing is it would be so easy for them because they’re already sitting on so much good IP from decades past.

They've by and large been making great headway out of that niche they happily sat in for so long with reliance on third parties. Although Xbox is (or used to be) the preferred FPS console, if memory serves correct.

More recently I'd argue successful games such as recent Tomb Raider entries, Sea of Thieves, Ori series, Cuphead, Titanfall 2 (campaign I mean), Killer Instinct, Rare Replay, Max: The Curse of Brotherhood, MS Flight Simulator (been around for ages) and a peek of the next gen third party (Medium, The Ascent, Scorn) is headlining quite the diversity beyond dudebro/racing. I'm reservedly hyped to see the games Xbox first party bring next month, I think we're going to see some further diversity and a handful directly competing with that cornerstone of Sony first party solo campaign games.

Quite the list without even going into Indie titles such as FAR: Lone Sails, Children of Morta, Human Fall Flat etc.

Last edited:

Pantz

Both horizontal and vertical camera controls are inverted in Blinx with no option to change them. A remaster that fixed this would be cool.

Top Bottom