• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard and Vicarious Vision are working on a Diablo II remake

Astorian

Vicarious Visions, based in Albany, New York, has been working with Blizzard since last year on the Diablo franchise, including a planned remake of Diablo II, people familiar with the plans said. They asked not to be identified discussing private information.

Hudo

Gold Member
Well if the former classics team was responsible for the worst remake of a game ever made, WarCraft III: Refunded, then they should've been all fired a long time ago. Maybe with the people from Vicarious Visions, the Diablo II remake has a chance of not being the usual trash that Blizzard releases nowadays.

Hudo

Gold Member
I doubt it. Diablo II would kill any hype from Diablo 4 because no one believes in new Blizzard.
Yeah, tbh. NiOh 2 scratches that Diablo itch quite well, IMHO. That's the direction I wanted them to go with in Diablo IV. Instead they decided to make a "muh grim dark art style" Diablo III with pseudo MMO stuff so they can justify locking people into their online ecosystem.

Diablo II will probably remain the best game of that formula. Diablo IV should've been a bigger step forward, ditching the isometric perspective for a third-person view.

Kadve

Gold Member
I see the trend of remaking games that don't need a remake continues.

I mean, what can you add to diablo 2 that makes it better? Cleaner and less pixelated models maybe, but i'm not sure if that warrants a remake.

Still can’t believe they’re gonna launch single player isometric game expecting to sell zillions in this day and age. Yes, it has famous Diablo name on it but new ones might confuse it with some indie shit that loves that perspective due to lack of money and resources.

rubenburgt

Looking at their latest remake and knowing Activision is basically the one who's in charge nowadays do I have no hope for a proper Diablo 2 remake. None.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I see the trend of remaking games that don't need a remake continues.

I mean, what can you add to diablo 2 that makes it better? Cleaner and less pixelated models maybe, but i'm not sure if that warrants a remake.
Isn't that the whole idea of a remake? Better graphics?

Hargate

They could have the best team in the world but if they half-ass it like that WC3 Reforged it will be a hard pass.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
They could have the best team in the world but if they half-ass it like that WC3 Reforged it will be a hard pass.
WC3 Reforged was done by Blizzard/Lemon Sky Studios.

Vicarious Visions helping Blizzard is good news. There is hope that it will be a well done remaster.

DanEON

Diablo 2 really needs a remake. Because right now, D2 online is fucked up by dupes and import itens.

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
A lot of people loved D2 a great deal, even more than the first game. But it feels really odd to remake the sequel and not the original game first.

Hell, I'm just sitting here hoping that D4 is actually going to be amazing.

I'm also sad that Tony Hawk 3+4 won't be happening. :(

xrnzaaas

It would be cool if they managed to release it on the consoles (don't call me a heretic pls). I think they've done a really good job with the console controls in Diablo 3.

daffyduck

It would be cool if they managed to release it on the consoles (don't call me a heretic pls). I think they've done a really good job with the console controls in Diablo 3.
OK, you're a heathen.

As for the topic, as long as there are no microtransactions, bring it on.

Catphish

Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF

Lanrutcon

Right. This is Blizzard's FFVII: Re.

The folks who don't understand why D2 remains THE Diablo game are probably too young to have been there during the apex. Be happy, because if they get this right you're in for a treat.

Itching for some technical details on this.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Vicarious Visions is making the D2 Remake?

Their Wiki page says their entire library of games are skewed about 90% to Nintendo Gameboy, Wii, and Skylander games.

Shubh_C63

I never played Diablo 2 before

Diablo 3 is my first introduction

This remake is good news for me

You can still get D4 and Immortal and ignore this remake if you want to
I mean you can but why would Blizzard cannibalise their own game sales ?
D2, a Mobile as well as D4 which supposedly an extension of D2.

Blizzard should actively try to avoid people from goingn to D2 when D4 is coming out

perkelson

Blizzard should actively try to avoid people from goingn to D2 when D4 is coming out

Few reasons:

- Blizzard team responsible for Diablo are trying everything they can to regain fanbase goodwill.
- Diablo 4 will be combination of D1 inspired atmosphere, D2 inspired mechanics and D3 combat feel.
- "Remake" doesn't always mean complete remake. They could just remake graphics like in Demon's Souls and leave mechanics untouched.
- Remaking D2 could be good training before release of D4
- Remake of graphics with old mechanics should be fairly quick much quicker than making D4.
- D4 is YEARS away from release

Shubh_C63

Few reasons:

- Blizzard team responsible for Diablo are trying everything they can to regain fanbase goodwill.
- Diablo 4 will be combination of D1 inspired atmosphere, D2 inspired mechanics and D3 combat feel.
- "Remake" doesn't always mean complete remake. They could just remake graphics like in Demon's Souls and leave mechanics untouched.
- Remaking D2 could be good training before release of D4
- Remake of graphics with old mechanics should be fairly quick much quicker than making D4.
- D4 is YEARS away from release
Valid points.
But even if D4 is years away (I assume 2023) even then it's not that much time given that Diablo games only need to come once a generation and their grindy gameplay will last you years, same as was with D2.

I still think it is extremely odd for 3 same genre games coming in a quick succession of 1-2 years. Especially Diablo.

Tg89

Diablo II is more than fine today. A simple HD, StarCraft style remaster would be great, do something with the online to cut down on hacks/bots. They’ll probably fuck it up if they go anymore ambitious than that.

They’ll never do it, but it would be pretty cool if they rolled out different versions gradually. D2 is a game that changed a lot over the years. Having them start with say, 1.07/08 and release later patches with ladder resets would be fun.

G-Bus

Banned
Cool. Played a lot of this in my early teens. Even made friends at school over selling SoJ and a legit windforce.

Nightmare cow runs. Fuck, lots of nostalgia.

Top Bottom